Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm contemplating taking apart my S4RS so that I can powder coat the frame and swing arm. I found a few things in search but nothing that helpful. I know that many forum members have do this but I am a little nervous. Does anyone have any helpful tips or a logical progression of what parts or assemblies to remove and in what order? I do have the shop manual and I am sure I could figure it out but I was just looking for a little real world experience. Thanks

·
Registered
51 Posts
First of all you need patience, don't disassemble or assemble in a hurry or if you don't feel like it that day!

Write everything down and take pictures. I put disassembled parts in bags with notes on them (this up, small screw there, bush that way...). Take your time and write, even if they are not important things it will save you a lot of time later, plus you'll forget many things since you'll not assemble the bike the next day, it may take 2 weeks or more.

The order of doing it, well what I can think of, battery, gas, coolant, seat, tank, radiator/s, airbox (a pain), headlight, dash, rear tail, rear wheel, rear shock, sssa, engine, front wheel, fork and triple.

What I did, for example I took the seat of, than I looked at the tank removal procedure in the manual and I removed the tank. Then I see the headlight, looked in the manual for that. The reverse procedure is also in the manual. Even if you have skills, look in the manual for the reassembly procedure, there are many important things in there.
Also, try to disassemble as little as you can, for example take the brakes off as a whole, without taking out the fluid.

It's very important to take pictures of every line or wire you remove and write as much as you can. It will be a pain to put them back on without it.

Good luck!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Frame removal

I have a box (or 2) of sandwich bags and a sharpie ready. Just looking through the shop manual my plan was to do the following:

1. remove both wheels on paddock stands.
2. Support engine , frame and suspension with engine support. (from Corse dynamics. I mounted that on 2x2 foot 1.5" plywood on casters)
3. Remove Seat, fuel tank, air box. (I did it on my S2R and I can agree... A PITA)
4. Remove headlight and gauge cluster.
5. Remove front suspension as one assembly with clutch slave to avoid bleeding lines (not sure if that's feasible yet. May have to detach clutch line)
6. Remove rear mud guard, side panels and rear tail light assembly.
7. Remove rear swing arm by detaching shock, suspension link and ride height adjuster and engine mounting bolt. (as whole assembly if possible, including rear brake master)
8. Detach radiator and support as necessary.
9. Detach all electrical zip ties and connectors secured to the frame.
10. Remove 2 engine cross frame mounting bolts.
11. Lift frame off
12. Ride engine like a bull with beer in hand.

Did I miss anything major?

·
Registered
2,253 Posts
When you remove bolts and take off a part, it may help to screw the bolts right back in where you found them. Along with any washers etc.

·
Registered
51 Posts
When you remove bolts and take off a part, it may help to screw the bolts right back in where you found them. Along with any washers etc.
Yes, this is a must.

Did I miss anything major?
Doesn't really matter now, you will see when the process begins.
For me it was easier to make a wooden frame and support the frame from under the seat and leave the front wheel/forks/triple last.

Get busy!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts