Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I came across a deal I couldn't pass up, a 01 ST4 for $500. Catch is that it was from a salvage auction, was laid down on the right side and didn't come with any keys. Oh well, for $500 it will be a nice project bike.

So I went through the usual routine, replaced right clip on and switches, new battery, checked fluids and fuses, and got a new ignition set with keys. Turned the key and gauges turn light up, horn and lights all work, flipped kill switch but didn't hear the fuel pump prime. Thumbed the starter... nothing. No cranking, no fuel, absolutely nothing.

The problem definitely seems electrical right? So I traced back my steps, do you think any of these could be the culprit?

1. Is the ECM "married" to the stock key, so when I switched the ignition/key it won't start as a security precaution?

2. There is a loose, 2-wire harness dangling near the battery area. One wire is black, the other is blue/red. Not sure what that is for.

3. There is a burnt looking circle on the top of the ECM, not sure if that is normal or not.

4. Besides the kickstand sensor are there any other safety ignition bypasses?

Please help me Ducati experts!

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
Welcome and nice deal!

There is no key marriage on the ST4. They came along with the ST4s and ST3.

The two wire connector is the diagnostics port. See the Ducatidaig thread(s) for details.

The "burnt" ring is the outline of the rubber access bung under the sticker. Have no fear.

If you short the side stand switch and barring any other issues, the motor will try to start regardless of gear, stand location, or clutch lever location. I run mine this way. It helped me roll the ST up on a trailer single handedly.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Zipp4 - Replies all seem good but couldnt' resist asking , why the S4R heading ?

·
7,733 Posts
There's that starter relay near the battery, it's white from what I've read, that can back out and may need to be plugged back in and then zip tied, esppecially if the bike was laid down on that side.

I suggest checking the rear engine mounting bolt asap, as they can crack at the frame boss causing damage to both the frame and engine casings, in fact you may want to replaceboth frt and rr bolts as a preventive maintenance item even if they seem okay.

Congrats on the 500.00 steal. You can part the bike out easily for maybe three or four times that. :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Zipp4 - Replies all seem good but couldnt' resist asking , why the S4R heading ?
Well, because I am stupid. I have an Audi S4 and this is my first Duc so I guess I combined the two names and added an 'R'...? I guess I should avoid the late night forum posts.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys! I did a lot of reading when I got home and I didn't realize you had to have the kickstand up to start the bike. I just thought you couldn't engage 1st gear, like other bikes. I'm going to give it another shot today.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thats my curiosity answered.
Sidestand was the first issue (non-existent) I had with my first Ducati , almost ruined our first Continental trip on it (MotoGP at Assen in 2003) when would not start coming off the ferry...

Welcome and enjoy !

·
Mr Leakered
8,859 Posts
Well, because I am stupid. I have an Audi S4 and this is my first Duc so I guess I combined the two names and added an 'R'...? I guess I should avoid the late night forum posts.
Don't avoid it late at night, just know that there is a Monster S4r that shares the motor and a lot of the ST4 parts.

Love them S4 though. Friends have a 2002 turbo and the 4.2 v8. I like the turbo more, but both are killer.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys!

Most of the bodywork is toast, but I should be able to make a fun little streetfighter out of it.

·
Registered
470 Posts
Thanks guys!

Most of the bodywork is toast, but I should be able to make a fun little streetfighter out of it.
You will be needing a Gel battery then to hide under the seat, and longer battery wires.
Unless you're a keen instrumentation / electrician type of person, you'll have a problem hiding all the wiring harness hidden under the upper fairing. Your best bet is to cut down the mid fairing just above the air scoops that cover the overflow bottle rhs and wiring fuse block & relays lhs and loose the belly pan and arse end covers below the seat.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts