Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

S4R vs S4RS

32K views 48 replies 22 participants last post by  Gilles 
#1 ·
I am considering a change in ergos through a switch from a '05 999S to a '07 or later Monster S4Rx. That'll keep me in the testa motor:D

What I need to know is whether there is any really significant difference between the S4R and S4RS, given that they are the same year. I know that it's a Showa vs Ohlins suspension thing, but how much REAL difference is there in that.

I do love my "S" model 999, but haven't ridden a "base" model to discover the difference............

Also, are there any other differences aside from the suspension?

#4 ·
Ok.. if it's only the suspension difference.............

Is there really any significant difference between the performance of the fully adjustable Showa's found on the S4R and the low-end Ohlins on the "S" model?

#5 ·
I was recently told by a long time Ducati mechanic that there is a slight difference in the internals of an "S" motor giving it a few more HP. This was news to me as I was also always under the impression like everyone else that it was just Ohlins and carbon.

I believe the Ohlins and the carbon alone are worth the extra coin. Not only from a handling perspective but for the aesthetics as well. The "S" model will also have better resale value down the road.

#6 ·
Thanks for the impression on the relative value of the "S".

I am still wanting opinions on the question of whether there is really any significant difference between the performance of the fully adjustable Showa's found on the late model S4R and the low-end Ohlins on the "S" model?

#10 ·
I'm just hoping I'm not going to shoot myself if I trade my 999S for a S4R-T. This is a private deal so the "S" version isn't an option in this particular deal......

#15 ·
Big difference in ergos from my 996 to the S4RS. Although, I just installed SWATT clip-ons on the 996 which made it much more comfortable.

If you're comparing a stock set-up Superbike to a Monster there is a significant difference in comfort. With the monster you won't have the constant pressure on your hands and arms. You will be in a more up-right seating position which eliminates the need to bend your neck to look up.

My analogy is; the Superbike is a 100-150 mile/day bike and the Monster is a 250-450 mile/day bike +-.

My 2 cents.

#18 ·
If you're comparing a stock set-up Superbike to a Monster there is a significant difference in comfort. With the monster you won't have the constant pressure on your hands and arms. You will be in a more up-right seating position which eliminates the need to bend your neck to look up.

My analogy is; the Superbike is a 100-150 mile/day bike and the Monster is a 250-450 mile/day bike +-.

My 2 cents.
Spot on Montducati...I own both the S4Rs and the 999s and could not have said it better...unfortunately I do not have the experience or skill to comment accurately on the performance of the suspension...but that gold does look cool :D

#17 ·
If you're doing 500-600 mile/day on the 999 you'll be ready for an Iron Butt Ride once you get the Monster, LOL. That's impressive, the most I've done on the 996 in one day is about 350.

#20 ·
Yes, but still better than Showa and not as low end as some may lead you to believe. I don't think anything with the Ohlins name on it can be considered low end.

It seems some feel better about not purchasing an "S" by saying that the Ohlins on these bikes is of less quality. The bottom line is; it would cost you more than an extra $2K you spend for an "S" than to purchase Ohlins and the carbon after the fact.

#21 ·
MonsterS4RS...NEW..Hated the MultiStrada!

I have the chance to buy a NEW 2007 S4RS from a DUCati Dealer... never used or prepped...$13,000.00 cash no prep or freight!
I had a 2008 Multi 1100S [2 valve] like the NEW 1100 Monsters.
I really did not like the Multi... VERY Underpowered... I am 58 yrs. old cannot ride the superbikes [neck, wrists and hands hurt!!!].but I really love RAW POWER!

Are there any Superbikes with a more upright seating position?

Will I feel a BIG difference in the S4RS compared to the MultiStrada??? LOTS more power and torque???

I DO Not like the ride position of the Streetfighter at all!
Will I love the S4RS for those Sunday morning Blasts for 2-3 hours???? IS there great power and are there upgrades for more power?

#22 ·
doctp,

I have a S4R and find the bike has enough power with really great ergos. The bike has the slightly detuned 999 engine with 130+ HP at the crank. You can probably add pipes, ECU and air filters for just a bit more HP but I find the nearly stock engine is more than adequate for me.

I rode a Multi 1100 and found that engine pretty tame. Everyone speaks of the 2V engines having more torque down low but I found it pretty soft and did not seem to want to rev very much. I am sure the the 2V guys would argue you otherwise.

As for the ergos, I usually ride 200 to 300 miles with the occassional 400+ mile days. The bike is plenty comfortable to tour on and the only downside is the smallish gas tank. I ususally only get about 120 miles to a tank.

Anyway, I have found the S4R a great alternative to a superbike for me. My old bones are too cranky to ride a superbike now so the closest thing I have found is the S4R.

Good luck.

#34 ·

As for the ergos, I usually ride 200 to 300 miles with the occassional 400+ mile days. The bike is plenty comfortable to tour on and the only downside is the smallish gas tank. I ususally only get about 120 miles to a tank.

Anyway, I have found the S4R a great alternative to a superbike for me. My old bones are too cranky to ride a superbike now so the closest thing I have found is the S4R.

Good luck.
My sentiments as well. Smallish gas tank is my only complaint.

I'd also qualify this as a very easy Monster. Pussy Cat when you need it to be (in traffic, etc), and a rip-roaring wheel to the sky Monster when wanted. Really pulls at the MONSTER in you:cool:.

I re-valved my front Showas, and replaced the rear with an Ohlins. All parts just in today:D. Can't wait to get it all set up and give it a go on the Transylvania twisties:alien:.

#49 ·
Full Termi (if you can still find one) works (and sounds) really great.

To all you guys who have mentioned the gas mileage on your S4Rs and S4RSs - I only get about 70-80, sometimes less, on a full tank. That's about 2.8 gallons, premium fuel. What's the deal there? My dealership seems to think that's normal. Granted, this is mostly city driving, but still....

Mine is a pig in the city, and very good on the road. This is what makes the difference. Seeing likewise on my 4v Multi.

#24 ·
I run the full Arrow carbon exhausts with the stock airfilter, stock ECU and Fatduc emulator. The bike runs really well and I don't have the stumbling or hiccup others are experiencing.

I guess you can run the DP ECU, Nemesis ECU or reflash your stock ECU with something like the Protune with better results. I think you would be able to run an open airbox with an aftermarket filter. That would probably yield you the most gains to the bike.

Anyway, check out http://ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?action=forum for Monster related info.

#25 ·
2006 S4rs

I bought my S4RS in Sept '08 w/ 2200 mi on it and now have almost 13K. It is black with the silver racing stripe and I absolutely love it. I easily can do a 300+ mi day on it. I have the speedy moto riser for the handle bars which helps tremendously. The speedy moto open clutch cover and sparks exhaust give it a truly beautiful sound.

The (-) aspects are: I have to refuel every 110 mi or so.
The wind screen offers no protection.
A passenger gets tired after the first tank is gone.
Speeding Tickets

Other than that they are AWESOME fun. Great for twisties and open road. More power than you really need for the street. :yeah: which is what you probably want if you are looking for something like this. A MUSCLE bike

#32 ·
Another thing to be aware of is that the thing eats up rear tires. I switched from Qualifiers to the Road Smarts (Dunlops) and like the difference in mi
That all depends on how you ride and what brand/model tire you use.

Check this out; I ride fairly aggressive (not crazy) and I squeezed 5K miles out of my last pair of Michelin Pilot Powers!! No belts or internals exposed when they were taken off.

#27 ·
doctp,

I have 5K on my 2008 S4RS (Tricolore) - I paid $12.5K OTD at the end of '08 - it was a brand new bike. Major mod is the full Arrow with a Nemesis ECU - 130RHP at altitude. No issues with the bike - I do 200 miles days in the mtns. and commute to work with a backpack 2-3X a week year round (Colorado). I get 45-50 mpg. Tires are still good...oh, I'm 52...

rob

#31 ·
Ahhh, if only we had the weather to be able to ride year round... :( Right now, it's low 20's and a sub-zero wind chill, so no bike riding for a few more months. :crazy:

#29 ·
Ohlins stuff

just had my '05 749R front forks serviced and was told that the Ohlins Production stuff is different from the race application stuff. Street doesn"t have the full Nitride coating all the way up the forks and the valving and shims are different. Nothing you will really notice on the street. Noticeable if you take it to the track and push it to the limits.

#36 ·
I ride my S4RS pretty aggressive on 2CT's and I can get 5K miles out of my rear. But then again I think I ride more on the edge than the middle...:cool: I also feel it has to do on how your suspension is setup or not setup. I also roll on the throttle through the turn, keeping a steady speed or accelerating gently. I know some folks have a habit of gunning it right out of the turn. Thus wearing out the tire. Of course this is all Canyon talk. I don't commute with my bike at all. A commute for me would be meeting Aria_speed at ACH for a ride and a coffee. :yeah:

#38 ·
As fr as I can tell from the parts books the 07' S4R and the S4RS have the same engine. They both have the "S" cams from the 999S. Both have the standard wide ratio transmission wheras the 999S has the close ratio box (same as 748 ratios)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.