Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering a change in ergos through a switch from a '05 999S to a '07 or later Monster S4Rx. That'll keep me in the testa motor:D

What I need to know is whether there is any really significant difference between the S4R and S4RS, given that they are the same year. I know that it's a Showa vs Ohlins suspension thing, but how much REAL difference is there in that.

I do love my "S" model 999, but haven't ridden a "base" model to discover the difference............

Also, are there any other differences aside from the suspension?

·
Registered
61 Posts
I think it just the ohlins instead of showa like you mentioned and some carbon fibre goodies!

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ok.. if it's only the suspension difference.............

Is there really any significant difference between the performance of the fully adjustable Showa's found on the S4R and the low-end Ohlins on the "S" model?

·
Registered
871 Posts
I was recently told by a long time Ducati mechanic that there is a slight difference in the internals of an "S" motor giving it a few more HP. This was news to me as I was also always under the impression like everyone else that it was just Ohlins and carbon.

I believe the Ohlins and the carbon alone are worth the extra coin. Not only from a handling perspective but for the aesthetics as well. The "S" model will also have better resale value down the road.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the impression on the relative value of the "S".

I am still wanting opinions on the question of whether there is really any significant difference between the performance of the fully adjustable Showa's found on the late model S4R and the low-end Ohlins on the "S" model?

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hahaha... that's great! I'm old and slow!

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Hahaha... that's great! I'm old and slow!
lol

I got the S because I wanted the topline model. I have the suspension setup for me and it is some of the best suspension I have ever used. I'm sure the Showa is 90% as good when setup properly.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm just hoping I'm not going to shoot myself if I trade my 999S for a S4R-T. This is a private deal so the "S" version isn't an option in this particular deal......

·
Registered
57 Posts
I upgraded my forks with the Racetech valves and springs, and a Penske shock. The bike feels really planted now and was a really good mod to the bike.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I agree that if you get a S4Rt just spend the money you saved from buying an S model and re-valve the forks and get a new shock and it will probably preform better than the S modle for less money. It just won't looks as cool.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Same here plus I needed an ergo change from my previous 1098S. This was also about the same time the Streetfighter was introduced and it didn't spark my interest.
So, how are the ergos on the Monster compared to the SBK now that you've had it for a while??

·
Registered
871 Posts
Big difference in ergos from my 996 to the S4RS. Although, I just installed SWATT clip-ons on the 996 which made it much more comfortable.

If you're comparing a stock set-up Superbike to a Monster there is a significant difference in comfort. With the monster you won't have the constant pressure on your hands and arms. You will be in a more up-right seating position which eliminates the need to bend your neck to look up.

My analogy is; the Superbike is a 100-150 mile/day bike and the Monster is a 250-450 mile/day bike +-.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Maybe I'm just expecting too much, doing 500-600 mile days on the 999............... I'm hoping that the Monster will be more suited to it.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Maybe I'm just expecting too much, doing 500-600 mile days on the 999............... I'm hoping that the Monster will be more suited to it.
If you're doing 500-600 mile/day on the 999 you'll be ready for an Iron Butt Ride once you get the Monster, LOL. That's impressive, the most I've done on the 996 in one day is about 350.

·
Registered
322 Posts
If you're comparing a stock set-up Superbike to a Monster there is a significant difference in comfort. With the monster you won't have the constant pressure on your hands and arms. You will be in a more up-right seating position which eliminates the need to bend your neck to look up.

My analogy is; the Superbike is a 100-150 mile/day bike and the Monster is a 250-450 mile/day bike +-.

My 2 cents.
Spot on Montducati...I own both the S4Rs and the 999s and could not have said it better...unfortunately I do not have the experience or skill to comment accurately on the performance of the suspension...but that gold does look cool :D

·
Registered
511 Posts
An Ohlins guy told me that the Ohlins that come on the S models are a lower version than the Ohlins you can buy in the store. Any truth to that?

·
Registered
871 Posts
An Ohlins guy told me that the Ohlins that come on the S models are a lower version than the Ohlins you can buy in the store. Any truth to that?
Yes, but still better than Showa and not as low end as some may lead you to believe. I don't think anything with the Ohlins name on it can be considered low end.

It seems some feel better about not purchasing an "S" by saying that the Ohlins on these bikes is of less quality. The bottom line is; it would cost you more than an extra $2K you spend for an "S" than to purchase Ohlins and the carbon after the fact.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts