Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

S4R vs 996???

6710 10
looking to buy a duc. i've ridden both, but it's been a while since i've been on the monster and i really wasn't riding it to decide on a purchase. just for fun.

for those that own the s4r and have ridden a 996, what are the major differences aside from cosmetics. i do a lot of city riding and an occasional track day.

i just don't want to get an S4R and then spend a small fortune trying to turn it into an unfaired 996.

what the major negatives of the monster when compared to the 996? is there an area where the s4r really lacks?
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Premium Member
8,240 Posts
The obvious difference is the ergos. I thought you were on a mission for a 998?

· Premium Member
8,240 Posts
Sounds like that 996 with 3K miles was the one on Craigslist? It did look nice in the picture. In its defense, I bought a 95 916 with 3K miles on it last year with no service interval paperwork too. I inspected the bike in person and talked to the owner. He wasn't a scammer. The bike was mint with original tires, belts, and I swear the oil! He was kind of a weird dude. I hear you about the tip overs and why people ignore required service intervals (cost?). My bike had two unfortunate "shit happens" tip overs. One when the kickstand went through soft asphalt and the other the bike fell over in my trailer. I'm in the process of getting the damage fixed, but to be honest I don't know if your search for the perfect bike is realistic. Hell, I change my oil every 2K miles but don't keep any receipts. I don't know how you can go wrong with a 3k miles bike if everything else checks out even without receipts. On the 996 my main concern above everything else would be the condition of the rockers.

I think the S4R is a nice bike, a buddy of mine's wife has one and she really likes it. More standup seating and raw with the wind blowing in your face and body all the time. I would like to have both bikes really.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.