Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2022 HERE!

S4R vs 996???

6707 10
looking to buy a duc. i've ridden both, but it's been a while since i've been on the monster and i really wasn't riding it to decide on a purchase. just for fun.

for those that own the s4r and have ridden a 996, what are the major differences aside from cosmetics. i do a lot of city riding and an occasional track day.

i just don't want to get an S4R and then spend a small fortune trying to turn it into an unfaired 996.

what the major negatives of the monster when compared to the 996? is there an area where the s4r really lacks?
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was. BUt I have run into so many bullshit obstacles, I've pretty much given up on finding a clean one. Either they've been crashed, dropped, abused, stickered to death, or nobody does the maintenance on them. I still find it amazing how many 996/998's get tipped in the parking lot/gargage. Not to mention, why won't anybody do the required service on a 16K motorcycle. I thought I found a winner the other night. 01 996, 3K miles. no services at ducati at all. he says he did the oil a few times, but has no receipts for the puchase of the oil or filter. he also NEVER did the brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, or belts in five years. that's just retarded and that's everybike i have found. either that or they claim to have done the service, but have no reciepts.

I think it would be just easier at this point to buy an 05 S4R and go have some fun on it. I'll keep looking in the meantime, but I think I may switch directions and go for the monster. Especially after driving all the way up to NC to buy a factory perfect Matrix from a dealer and it turned out to be a piece of junk.

Uggggh. Anyway, that's why I'm poking around here.

· Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
unfortunatley the free service thing ran out. i was about a hair away from a yellow s4r (new from a dealer out west), but didn't do it. the free service would have put me over the top but it ran out about 2 weeks ago.

i definateley agree with you on your points regarding street vs track. i do mostly street riding with a few track days sprinkled here and there.

i really love the way the 996 looks though. don't get me wrong, the monster is a nice looking bike, but the 996 looks like a ferrari on two wheels.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.