Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking to buy a duc. i've ridden both, but it's been a while since i've been on the monster and i really wasn't riding it to decide on a purchase. just for fun.

for those that own the s4r and have ridden a 996, what are the major differences aside from cosmetics. i do a lot of city riding and an occasional track day.

i just don't want to get an S4R and then spend a small fortune trying to turn it into an unfaired 996.

what the major negatives of the monster when compared to the 996? is there an area where the s4r really lacks?

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
The obvious difference is the ergos. I thought you were on a mission for a 998?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was. BUt I have run into so many bullshit obstacles, I've pretty much given up on finding a clean one. Either they've been crashed, dropped, abused, stickered to death, or nobody does the maintenance on them. I still find it amazing how many 996/998's get tipped in the parking lot/gargage. Not to mention, why won't anybody do the required service on a 16K motorcycle. I thought I found a winner the other night. 01 996, 3K miles. no services at ducati at all. he says he did the oil a few times, but has no receipts for the puchase of the oil or filter. he also NEVER did the brake fluid, clutch fluid, coolant, or belts in five years. that's just retarded and that's everybike i have found. either that or they claim to have done the service, but have no reciepts.

I think it would be just easier at this point to buy an 05 S4R and go have some fun on it. I'll keep looking in the meantime, but I think I may switch directions and go for the monster. Especially after driving all the way up to NC to buy a factory perfect Matrix from a dealer and it turned out to be a piece of junk.

Uggggh. Anyway, that's why I'm poking around here.

·
Registered
889 Posts
you won't need to try and turn a 996 into a S4R, it is really close to one as is! there really is very little between them, the 996 is geared taller, the S4R has shorter duration cams (st4s). for city hooning, oops, sorry, riding, the S4R is way better than a 996, for track days the 996 is better. where will most of the riding be done? from your post it looks like you are thinking of a new S4R, if that is so, i'd buy a new bike over a 2nd hand 996 every time. knowing the history,getting a warranty, not to mention the free service deals going! a good 996 is a nice bike for sure, but i love my S4R and it does everything i want, including track days.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
unfortunatley the free service thing ran out. i was about a hair away from a yellow s4r (new from a dealer out west), but didn't do it. the free service would have put me over the top but it ran out about 2 weeks ago.

i definateley agree with you on your points regarding street vs track. i do mostly street riding with a few track days sprinkled here and there.

i really love the way the 996 looks though. don't get me wrong, the monster is a nice looking bike, but the 996 looks like a ferrari on two wheels.

·
Premium Member
8,729 Posts
Sounds like that 996 with 3K miles was the one on Craigslist? It did look nice in the picture. In its defense, I bought a 95 916 with 3K miles on it last year with no service interval paperwork too. I inspected the bike in person and talked to the owner. He wasn't a scammer. The bike was mint with original tires, belts, and I swear the oil! He was kind of a weird dude. I hear you about the tip overs and why people ignore required service intervals (cost?). My bike had two unfortunate "shit happens" tip overs. One when the kickstand went through soft asphalt and the other the bike fell over in my trailer. I'm in the process of getting the damage fixed, but to be honest I don't know if your search for the perfect bike is realistic. Hell, I change my oil every 2K miles but don't keep any receipts. I don't know how you can go wrong with a 3k miles bike if everything else checks out even without receipts. On the 996 my main concern above everything else would be the condition of the rockers.

I think the S4R is a nice bike, a buddy of mine's wife has one and she really likes it. More standup seating and raw with the wind blowing in your face and body all the time. I would like to have both bikes really.

·
Premium Member
681 Posts
the S4R should do all of what you're looking for in my opinion. you could up grade the suspension with ohlins out back and ohlins internals up front, then add a set of clipons (cyclycat DBR 13), and this should give you all of the adjustability you would want or need for the street and track.

·
Registered
392 Posts
It comes down to ergos as others have suggested. For street riding I'd take the S4R any day. I just can't spend much time on a pure sport bike without serious discomfort. I also sounds like your track days will be occasional at most and the S4R is plenty capable on the track as well. Sure a very good rider will probably be faster on the 996, but for most of us the ultimate lap time is not the goal, but having fun and acheiving personal bests is. I do know a few, much younger riders that are comfortable enough on 996 and 998's to ride them all day long. If that's you then perhaps it's more of a toss up.

·
Registered
660 Posts
S4r

I just sold my 2001 996 and got the 2006 S4R. Absolutely love it. I ride seriously in the mountains here in Colorado, and it handles very similar to the 996. I'd prefer to have the S4RS with the full, Ohlins, but none-the-less the S4R is a great bike.

I'm making the same mods to my S4R that I made on the 996. New exhaust, new rear-sets (I'm 6'1" and was initially cramped on both), and usual bling.

Handing wise, you get a lil more wind resistence at high speeds in a straight line on the S4R, but how often are you runnin 145 in a straight line? I actually removed my fairing on the S4R, and it seemed to smooth things out.

The S4R is alot more comfortable from an ergo standpoint. But personally I never found the 996 that bad. When you ride alot, you develop the wrist and forearm muscles to accomodate. Never had back issues, probably attributed to the rearsets.

I'm currently looking to drop new clip-ons onto it, so I can get a more aggressive riding position when needed.

Good luck in your search.

·
Registered
76 Posts
+1 on Munchdog.

I loved riding the 996. It was one of the best handling bikes I have ever been on, more so after leaving the confines of the city. Around town, it was beautiful but torture and not as practical, but I would live with it if I had it right now. It is one of those things that you live with in order to fuel the passion. More of a personal call.

I really wanted a cafe bike with a little oomph and more soul than an S3. I bought an S4R and was going to go all out cafe, but am loving the Magura bar.

My S4R seems like a great balance between bump compliance and a little stiffness for spirited rides. Okay, she isn't stiff at all for spririted rides, but I mean that she doesn't dive too much or do anything wrong. I love her.

I was on a quick ride through some super curvy back roads yesterday, and a couple sportbikes couldn't keep up as the roads may have been a little too bumpy for them, but the suspension of the Duc and the Vtwin thump pulled me through with uber confidence. That is the only reason I could come up with for losing those guys and being forced to wait for them.

You have to ask quite a few questions to yourself about what your goal or what flips your skirt up. Maybe you are like me and have a sportbike already and can fill a need for a naked bike with the S4R.

Inform us more on your situation.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I can say from experience with the S4R (unfortunately not the 996), that it can haul ass.

There are quite a few people we would ride with on various liter jap bikes that couldn't keep up with my fiance at all. two weeks after getting it, we go on a 2200 mile trip through arkansas in 5 days. after the first day, he had worn the little michelin man off the sides of the Pilot Roads that were on there.

I don't think there's a single issue with the way the S4R handles...and for around town riding, I'd pick the S4R if I were older...

personally though, the bikes that people say are torture, fit me just fine....lol

1 - 11 of 11 Posts