Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm piecing together an 05 S4R from a bare frame, and I think that I may have the luxury of choosing what style tank I purchase (configuration, not material due to the ethanol content of the fuel where I live a steel or aftermarket aluminium one will be in this bike's future), I'd like to ask any S4R or S4RS owners for their experiences with servicing their fuel pump/filter assembly if you'd be willing to share them please?

I've been looking through the 05 service manual and it looks like a bit of faff to get to the S4R style pump and filter, having to remove the fuel cap housing and fish it out through the filler neck. The S4RS set up looks a lot easier to access by removing the entire assembly from the base of the tank, and very similar to the set up on a 996, with which I am familiar.

I expect that should I try to go for an S4RS style set up I would need to get an S4RS battery tray, along with the hinge hardware for the tank itself. As I only have pictures to go on at the moment it looks to me like the fuel line fittings at the tank end are interchangeable, and the volume of space for the airbox looks to be the same I believe. But if I am mistaken and the testa tank will not fit over a desmo please do set me straight. Otherwise do any S4R or RS owners have any gripes about their servicing their fuel pump/filter?

Thank you for any help you decide to offer.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I should have added that based on eyeballing some pictures online it looks like the fuel harness connector configurations are identical, so I hope the S4RS harness would plug directly into the S4R main harness, but again please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thank you.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I’ve never worked on the s4r pump, but I recently rebuilt the fuel pump in my S4RS. Here’s a close up pic of the connector from the pump if you want to compare it to your s4r.

It’s very easy to remove the S4RS pump of course, just remove the bolts and it comes right out.

Whether or not an RS tank will fit on a 996 desmoquattro motor, I couldn’t tell you. I have heard the S4RS tank and airbox are smaller to accommodate the testastretta motor, so it may work in your favor, but that’s also why the RS tank has a smaller capacity (barely 3 gal). If ethanol is a problem, you should probably try to find an older Monster OEM steel or aluminum tank. The RS tank is plastic of course and any non-plastic alternatives that have the flange for the RS pump are very pricey (Beater Japan or Legendary are the only alum ones I know of).

Attachments

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Since you’re going in clean slate I’d do the RS. The pump comes right out easily.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you whitelotus for your advice and the pictures. As far as I can tell, it looks identical to the S4R connector, which is what I was hoping for.

It hadn't occured to me that the plastic tank gave up fuel capacity, which is just another reason for me to go with a metal or carbon one as you suggest.

Duc96cr, that's what I was thinking too. After replacing a fuel pump on my 996 with a similar slide out set up, the RS looks a lot easier to get at compared to the R.

Thank you very much both of you for your responses.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmmm, apparently my phones browser welds all the paragraphs together. Sorry, that was formatted differently when I posted it.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

I built an S4R bike for my #2 son a few years back, and without realizing it I added S4RS throttle bodies, as I recall. I simply couldn't get the bike to run with the S4R tank and pump configuration, finally my friend Bobby Shek from Houston Superbikes looked at it and pointed out the discrepancy. Once I mounted a S4RS tank and pump it ran great, evidently there is a higher pressure and/or flow rate with the RS pump. Downside, of course, is that damn plastic.
So, to answer your question, a tank and pump from an S4RS will fit and function fine, and in the event you use the later TB's, it will be the only solution.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts