Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A crazy idea struck me.

Is it possible to fit the s4r/st4/st3 throttle bodies to the 1000ds engine. i know you have to rearrange them som they fit but its the electrics im concerned about.
Which throttle body will be the best?

Will the idle work, s4r has the idle rpm thingy.
Will the tps work?
Any other connections that might not work?
Will the black plastik sockets that connect the throttle bodies to the heads be the right dia in the connections?

Give me all you ideas.

·
Registered
309 Posts
That's pretty interesting. What effect do you want to get? I guess bigger bodies, more flow?

1) The same ECU is used for the 2V and 4V Ducati engines, isn't it? If so, that indicates that everything could be the same.

2) Brad Black, an Australian Ducati tuner is someone that could know about this. I'd try to contact him.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's pretty interesting. What effect do you want to get? I guess bigger bodies, more flow?

1) The same ECU is used for the 2V and 4V Ducati engines, isn't it? If so, that indicates that everything could be the same.

2) Brad Black, an Australian Ducati tuner is someone that could know about this. I'd try to contact him.
I sent him a mail allready.

Im just experimenting and offcourse im hoping for more performance.

·
Registered
28 Posts
i think that going for bigger throttle bodys is a waist of money if you're not going to modify the heads and cams first.
the problem with the 1000ds engine is the flow in the heads and the cam timing.if you want serious performance increase the best thing to do(imho) is flow the heads and install bigger valves. this in combination with a good cam will give you serious HP numbers.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I think that it's mostly a function of
* The functions in the throttle body (like idle, TPS)
* The basic electric workings (motor input voltage etc.)
* The electronic signaling, e.g. what language the ECU speaks to the 2V bodies and if it's the same language it speaks to the 4V ones

Especially regarding the last part, the signaling, I think there's an organization that's good to ask: The makers of the Nemesis ECU. If I understand the Nemesis correctly, it must have taken a rewrite or at least thorough inspection of all the different ECU functions in both the 2V and 4V motors. If anyone knows, it's Ducati themselves, and the Nemesis people.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
All very good comments. Krilli's sounds like a great suggestion of how to get the the answer, but I agree with Hans that it is unlikely to be a good idea unless it is part of a much larger assortment of modifications. All by itself it is more likely to have a negative impact on low and midrange than any positive impact.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
We well just have to wait and see. if it doesnt turn out to be good ill just go back to the old setup. If somebody doesnt test then we will never know.
So see it as if im doing the hard part and you can follow if you like later on.

From my dynoruns i did yesterday it is obvius that the stock airbox even with a 8*13 cm hole cut in it limit airflow to the engine so Wasp tpo etc are in the right path. allso the shape of the intakes is way of. Then one can discuss if a airbox is needed to prevent disturb air etc.

im pretty sure that my engine will need shorter and eventually bigger throttle bodies to give me more.
The shorter we went the more hp we got without sacreficeing torue, we lost 1,5nm in torue to start of with but then no more.

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
DSM does too, 50mm throttle bodies with down draft intakes on
their blue SS1000DS race bike which i have shown you in the
other thread.
they use their own cam shafts, i just took a look at the tec. specs.:
the bike has 1123 ccm with a 100x71.5mm bore to stroke ratio
just like yours, and 125hp at 8800 rpm and 122Nm of torque at 6500 rpm.

those numbers are for your info and encouragement only. :)

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
DSM does too, 50mm throttle bodies with down draft intakes on
their blue SS1000DS race bike which i have shown you in the
other thread.
they use their own cam shafts, i just took a look at the tec. specs.:
the bike has 1023 ccm with a 100x71.5mm bore to stroke ratio
just like yours, and 125hp at 8800 rpm and 122Nm of torque at 6500 rpm.

those numbers are for your info and encouragement only. :)
Thanks Muschi.

Sweet, my german isnt that good so the dsm page was mostly to see. didnt know that they where using 50mm intakes.
All is just a test since the 50mm intakes costs with intake funnels (velocity stacks)a fraction of what new intakes funnels would cost to my bike. And its a good fun experiment.
I think there is more to get from my bike then its showing today and helping it breathe better is one step on the way.
Now my next dynorun will be efter winter with 50mm throttle bodies and new exhaust.

·
Registered
337 Posts
I know that 748 throttle bodies and injectors can be swapped. I think the 998 throttle bodies actually have two injectors per throttle body and so won't work. Not sure about 848 throttle bodies.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
joining them so they work will be the hardest part. would be much easier to buy two sets and use just the front throttle body from each set with a cable to each and an old tomeselli twin cable twist grip for added retro.

they seem pretty serious about getting power out of them at kaemna.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts