Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey,

I just got an S4R and I have to say it was quite scary at first. I Dropped the front end 9mm (i wanted 10 but measured wrong) and it was like a new bike!!

Unfortunately I'm short 5'8 i need to lower the rear more then my fat ass (190) does naturally. What is the correct rake (I'm a race car driver don't know the bike equivalent terms yet) front to rear? 5mm difference 10mm difference?

How about bump (compression) and rebound settings for the shocks that works for you guys? I feel the stock settings are a little stiff but don't have the experience to set them up right by feel.

Much appreciated!!

V

·
Registered
282 Posts
What do you mean you "dropped" the front end? You mean you slid the tubes up into the clamps?

I use 10 mm static sag front and rear. 25 mm rider sag front and rear for a total of 35 mm.

Front: 12 clicks compression, 9 clicks rebound.
Rear: 11 clicks compression, 10 clicks rebound.

I weigh 190, my measurements are for a S4RS with Ohlins suspension.

I slid my forks up into the clamps and it cornered well, but got unstable at highway speeds, especially in traffic, passing, and behind 18 wheelers, etc.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yea that's what i mean, thanks for the tips.

What do you mean by static sag. don't you want the front lower then the rear?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Yea that's what i mean, thanks for the tips.

What do you mean by static sag. don't you want the front lower then the rear?
Static sag is the amount of sag caused by the weight of the bike alone, rider sag is obviously the amount with the rider in their regular riding position.

A lot of people drop the front end so it will turn easier, but as you lower the front you also decrease rake making the bike unstable. You know, you can increase the rear height also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts