Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, I just got a S4R yesterday and was wondering if there are any "must do" mods? and what is the labor like?

Frame sliders?
T14 Sprocket?
Steering stabilizer?
Core exhaust? Slip ons?

Thanks, i'll post pics asap.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Maybe instead of spending that money on a stabilizer you could ride the bike and play around with the settings on your front forks, take it to a good suspension shop and check sag and spring rate that suits your body wieght. far better money spent than trying to mask a problem???... IMO

·
Registered
282 Posts
Maybe instead of spending that money on a stabilizer you could ride the bike and play around with the settings on your front forks, take it to a good suspension shop and check sag and spring rate that suits your body wieght. far better money spent than trying to mask a problem???... IMO
Even if the bikes suspension is set 100% correct, the bike needs more to handle better. Dropping the forks 5mm will make it corner like crazy, unfortunately, it will also become shaky at high speeds. The thought of hitting a small bump in the road at 100 mph plus without a stabilizer would worry me a lot. I find riding in traffic at 75 to 80 mph is a major pain to keep the bike stable without a stabilizer. Why they didn't come stock with one is beyond me. An Ohlins side mount will run over 500 but it is better than a tank slapper at 75mph in traffic.

·
Registered
65 Posts
I understand that, but still set the bike up first, to me it's misleading him thinking that a damper will solve it and that's all he need's.
He needs a starting point, setting up the suspension should the frist step, then fine tune it if needed... don't just slap one on because everyone else does. He may find he doesn't need it?? not all bikes and riders are the same....

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Even if the bikes suspension is set 100% correct, the bike needs more to handle better. Dropping the forks 5mm will make it corner like crazy, unfortunately, it will also become shaky at high speeds. The thought of hitting a small bump in the road at 100 mph plus without a stabilizer would worry me a lot. I find riding in traffic at 75 to 80 mph is a major pain to keep the bike stable without a stabilizer. Why they didn't come stock with one is beyond me. An Ohlins side mount will run over 500 but it is better than a tank slapper at 75mph in traffic.
Maybe but I think sterring dampers are over rated for the road. I have run my Monster at up to 160 on the track and it is rock solid. I think a lot of the wobbles and weaves are people holding onto the bars too firmly

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
sorry for the outdated reply.

I'm getting my friend an ex ama racer to dial in the bike and set up the suspension. no brainer there.

If 500$ could save my ass I'm all for it. I'm just getting suggestions on brands to compare.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Inspired words

·
Registered
698 Posts
Hey, I just got a S4R yesterday and was wondering if there are any "must do" mods? and what is the labor like?

Frame sliders?
T14 Sprocket?
Steering stabilizer?
Core exhaust? Slip ons?

Yes on the 14T sprocket and the suspension setup!!! The other stuff is up to you.

·
Registered
871 Posts
Setting up the suspension by a pro is an excellent idea; however, will not eliminate the chance of a tank slapper. The steering stabilizer will prevent that scary situation.

I had my first and only tank slapper on my 95 900ss (which wasn't nearly as twitchy as the S4RS) over 10 years ago. To date that was the scariest experience I ever had on a motorcycle (I hope it remains the scariest experience). Every Duc I've owned since has either come with one or I purchased one for it. My S4RS has the side mount Ohlins because I have CycleCat clip-ons which won't accommodate a top mount stabilizer.

·
Premium Member
1,176 Posts
See my suggestions below:

Frame sliders? I used to really like the Cycl Cat sliders for the Monster, but they aren't available anymore. Now I use the Motonation sliders - they are a well thought-out product, and they are a site sponsor for Ducati.ms.

T14 Sprocket? I would wait until the bike is broken-in. See how you like it, and after the first service decide if you still want to go that route

Steering stabilizer? For the S4, the bike is so raked out that a stabilizer is just throwing $$ away. I never came close to a slapper on the S4, even with my rear jacked-up a bit with the Ohlins shock I installed. But for the Testastretta Monsters, they seem like they have a steeper rake, and maybe you will find that a stabilizer is a good idea.

Core exhaust? Slip ons? I would prefer a full system, but for slip-ons for the Testastretta Monsters I really like the Termi model as shown on MontDucati's bike - it's the only one that makes the horrible looking catalytic converter "udder" appear like it actually belongs on the bike. If you're keeping the udder, go with the Termi slip-on.

Good luck, keep us posted!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks!

Thank you for all your advice, I'm going to go with the arrow stabilizer for peace of mind more then anything else. I got some frame sliders just in case. Of course the pro suspension set up.

I need to keep this project simple, as I mentioned I race cars and after building my latest race car, I'll find myself divorced if I start another project.

I'll follow your advice to spend the time and money into developing myself as a rider. I tell this to all my students, but you know the adage, do as I say not as i do.

Thanks also for the warm welcome.

Be safe out there.

V

1 - 16 of 16 Posts