Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
left mirror gets "moved" by the wind - when it's adjusted, it tilts backward providing a view of my arm. So, every time i want to view through it, i have to adjust it.

Has anybody figured how to "tighten" it so it stays in place?

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,072 Posts
Same here. My S2R does the same and it drives me crazy. Just today I decided to try something. After getting the mirror adjusted right I let a drop of blue Loctite bleed into the ball socket. I have not tried it yet but I did do the same with some Elmers glue and it seemed to hold until I washed the bike. We'll see how the Loctite works.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mine was so loose that out of desperation, i "screwed" the mirror in to the stem (by rotating the entire mirror on the stalk). It seemed to make it better, but not completely. That's why I posted the question; thinking that someone has pulled one apart to discover how it works. If all else fails, I'll try to drill and tap for a setscrew to add resistance to the rotating ball-end of the mirror. I suppose Locktite may work, but that sounds like a "permanent" solution - better not want to make any further adjustments...

·
Registered
698 Posts
I had a similar problem on my Monstrack mirrors and I solved it by adding teflon tape to the rotating ball. This added the required friction and the mirrors are now perfectly in place.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yea, been there - super glue - done that - worked for a while. Finally took the time to split the housing. It can be done, but very carefully using a sharp tool like a wood chisel and working your way around it. You'll know its working when you hear the glue line inside cracking. It wont be perfect and some rashing will occur. Inside you'll find a nut/washer and spring. I used some super glue to put it back together. What ever you do not rotate it counter-clockwise on the stem or try to unscrew the morror else the nut will back off and only get looser. Trying to tighten it wont work because the the whole assembly simply rotates. Read SHITY CHEAP DESIGN. If you are cash strapped then this is way to go. Otherwise replace the damm things with some nice Rizoma's. I just put a pair on my S4R and man are they SWEET. CNC machined and anoized from a solid chunk of aluminum. Fully adjustable and ROCK SOLID tightenable. PJ's is the place to go.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I have considered replacing them, but l really like the size; the majority of bar-end mirrors are only about 3in DIA, not much of a view. Also, I prefer the mirror be closer to my forward view; the bar-end mirrors require a deliberate sweep of the head in either direction. having said that, the bar-enders DO look cool, and some of them swing up and out of the way.

Do they blur more/less/same as the stockers?

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
...Otherwise replace the damm things with some nice Rizoma's. I just put a pair on my S4R and man are they SWEET. CNC machined and anoized from a solid chunk of aluminum. Fully adjustable and ROCK SOLID tightenable. PJ's is the place to go.
Double-true!
bar-end like the Rizoma's or CRG's will make you kick yourself for not replacing the mouse-ears sooner. it's a small price to pay for the frustration you'll save yourself.

·
19,072 Posts
mine was so loose that out of desperation, i "screwed" the mirror in to the stem (by rotating the entire mirror on the stalk). It seemed to make it better, but not completely. That's why I posted the question; thinking that someone has pulled one apart to discover how it works. If all else fails, I'll try to drill and tap for a setscrew to add resistance to the rotating ball-end of the mirror. I suppose Locktite may work, but that sounds like a "permanent" solution - better not want to make any further adjustments...
I doubt that the blue Loctite will be very permanent. Even if it hold initially it will probably not help much after the first time it gets bumped. But, it's worth a try as I'm about ready to trash the POS anyway.

Lots of luck trying to tap that thin piece of plastic.

·
19,072 Posts
Update on blue Loctite........

Forget that, it doesn't work at all :(
First trip up to 80 and it folded back for a great view of my arm. At least the Elmer's glue held until it got wet.

I don't know why I bother. They buzz so bad I can't see what's behind me anyway.

Does anyone know if the newer 696/1100 mirrors will work on the older bike?

·
Registered
101 Posts
Get rid of the mickey mouse ears and put some bar ends on. problem solved.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Update on blue Loctite........

Does anyone know if the newer 696/1100 mirrors will work on the older bike?

I don't know if they will fit, but I do know the same issue exists with the 696 mirrors. They get loose and can't be tightened.

·
19,072 Posts
I don't know if they will fit, but I do know the same issue exists with the 696 mirrors. They get loose and can't be tightened.
That's too bad but thanks anyway.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts