Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, has anyone upgraded their handlebars? I am looking at Rizoma but was curious what size height wise people have upgraded too. I want a higher bar but do i go 30, 45 or 50mm. Just looking for opinions...

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I don't think anyone can answer that for you. How tall are you ? How long are your arms ? How long is your torso ? What is your preferred riding position ? All these things matter when you're picking bars.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have been clearer...I was looking for answers regarding things like if i fit a 30mm bar i dont have to move anything but if i fit a 50mm bar i will need to get a longer brake line...or something to that extent.

·
Bon Vivant
11,334 Posts
Hi, has anyone upgraded their handlebars? I am looking at Rizoma but was curious what size height wise people have upgraded too. I want a higher bar but do i go 30, 45 or 50mm. Just looking for opinions...
And how is a new bar an "upgrade"? Frankly the OEM bar is probably better quality than the aftermarket stuff. I understand wanting to change the position but I wouldn't call it an upgrade. Also remember that the width of the bar will greatly change the way the bike steers and transitions into corners and may even effect stability.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok...you want to get picky and not call it an upgrade sure.
The goal was to change the height and angle at which i reach/grip the bars. The stock s4rs bars have an odd angle bend that hurt my hands, i have used Rizoma on my Z1 in years past and have liked them. And OEM bars are not higher quality than aftermarket. They are built to a pricepoint not to the highest quality.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I had the Rizoma but the way the ends are angled towards the rider made my wrists hurt after a few km.
Changed to LSL X01, no problems anymore, even trips like 500km/day.

You will need to reroute some lines, but can keep the old ones.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You can add the factory higher risers without mods. If you find out how much higher that is, you'll know that amount is doable. Looking at mine ,with the higher risers ,it appears I could put a little taller bar on if I wished.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I want the tallest bars without having to change the length of the brake lines or other electrical connections. Thats the part i dont know since the Monster is new to me. On my other bikes i have done this but was replacing the brake lines and electrical connections so it wasnt a big deal.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
You're in Chicago ? The dealer can tell you how much taller the optional risers are , see ? Then, you will know that you could change to a bar with at least that much rise or a little more, because you don't have to change anything when you install the taller risers , see ? Think it through.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I am in Chicago but either you live in a magical place or i live in a cave...Going to the dealer to ask about how high the bars can be raised is a non starter for several reasons. The first being no dealer i have ever been to can you give out this kind of information. Not sure if they don't want to or don't care...whatever but they cant/wont. Second there aren't actually dealers anymore. There are shops that sell Ducati but they sell other brands and hardly know that Ducati is a v-twin. So yeah, i thought it through...see? (don't know about you but i say it in a Bogart voice when i type "see" at the end of a sentence but i digress.)

Perhaps i wasn't clear in the beginning I am running risers already so unless someone can recommend taller risers the bars are the only way i can adjust the height and angle.

I have a set of bars on order and just waiting for them to arrive. Thanks to all for the suggestions.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hey Galaxian. Bringing a dead topic back to life...

I am also on the search for taller bars. My S4R came with what seem to be low-rise Rizomas and I have added riser blocks to the bar clamp. I am shopping for a taller and wider bar for better leverage and riding posture, and remove the installed riser blocks. How are you liking your setup? The biggest issue I had with raising my bar was the length of the brake line.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I am looking for OEM bars for my 07 S4R T. I have like new Speedy Moto Bar risers from Motowheels (anodized black) if anyone wants to trade.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I purchased 30 mm risers off eBay for $30. They came with longer screws. I did not need to change any lines or re route any. It made my ride instantly comfortable.

I suggest trying that. It's cheap and works great.

·
Registered
7,104 Posts
I buy bars at swap meets after making sure they’re straight. $ 1-10 I usually pay because all the swaps in my area are HD oriented and most everything else goes cheap .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts