Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have an '02 S4 with a 916 4 valve motor.

Does anyone have links to vids, manuals, or other online information for Timing belt(s) tensioning or replacement and full Valve adjustment procedure?

Thank you !

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No one here does thier own V A ' S ?!!

OK, it's only been a day. I know I can get the factory manual but, as with ALL motorcycle maintainance and service, the best wisdom lies with the poeple that ride and work on thier own bikes.

I know all about the 'mystery' of desmo valve service but after 50 streetbikes, i also know there really are no myteries, just differences.

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
19,081 Posts
Best advice is to buy LT Snyders book on it at Desmotimes.com

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
i also know there really are no myteries, just differences.
no mysteries, just miseries:D just kidding.........sort of.

the 916 is a desmoquattro and although i've not had the pleasure myself, the valve train is notoriously not fun to adjust on those engines unlike the testastretta engine which is very simple.

also, i think there are some special tools involved like a rocker pin-puller.

as Duckman mentioned, you would be well served to go to desmotimes.com and get a copy of the desmoquattro maint/mod manual.

if you have some mech aptitude and patience i'm sure you'll get the job done.

good luck!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That's what I'm talkin' 'bout !!

Thank guys.
I'll take your advice and get the Snyders manual and tools from Desmotimes .
Thanks much for the vids too.

I ain't the fastest wrench but i'm thorough.
It'll be fun. Ok, maybe just entertaining,,,

I'll report back when I'm done.

Thanks again

·
Beta Tester
1,957 Posts
I'll report back when I'm done.
please do! i'll be watching this thread.

i've done some 3 valvers, two valvers, and some testa's, so it will be interesting to hear your experience with the quattro.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I went to LT's ducati tech seminar a couple weeks ago. What a great time and learned so much, we did the valves on 2valve, 4valve and testastretta. The testa is by far the easiest but takes a bit more time. We also did belts etc. LT is a great guy!

please do! i'll be watching this thread.

i've done some 3 valvers, two valvers, and some testa's, so it will be interesting to hear your experience with the quattro.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am getting close to finishing up my own '02 S4 for the first time.

LT Snyder manual is definitely the way to go but be sure to take a lot of pics and bag/tag anything that comes off

The vertical exhaust valves are a pain to get to with the suspension linkage in the way and the horizontal intake can be a pain if you don't remove the radiator

While you have it apart, do yourself and the bike a favor and yank the cams to check for flaking rockers. I had to replace 3 closer and 6 opening rockers on mine. Bike has 17K on it

I am ending up replacing a lot of stuff on mine but I'm glad that it's getting done. New base/head gaskets, valve cover gaskets, fuel lines, rockers, shims and so on... also adding quick disconnects to the fuel lines to facilitate easier removal of the tank next time around.

Here is a link to my thread on the DMF regarding this whole ordeal. Check it out if you have time. Lots of good info there

Tools for valve adjustment

1 - 9 of 9 Posts