Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello
I noticed a 2002 S4 with a dual-fan radiator. Appears same radiator, same engine, etc.
Wondering if anybody has tried mounting one in a '02-'03 ST4S?
I was thinking the extra cooling fan might come in handy.
Kind of wonder why the Monster would get (or need) the extra fan anyway, unless the induced draft of the full fairing of the ST provides additional cooling.

TIA for any wisdom....

·
Registered
887 Posts
Fans have high electrical draw are are primarily needed when idling in traffic (when your charging output is lowest). For that reason it's best to avoid the need for two fans.

One fan is sufficient as long as your cooling system is in good shape. The most important aspect is to make sure you have a high enough concentration of water in the coolant mix. The factory recommends only 35%-40% anti-freeze with the balance pure water. Many people mix it 50/50 and the result is reduced cooling power.

Straightening bent radiator fins can help too. Pay particular attention to those within the fan shround area.

·
Registered
79 Posts
hi

mike, i did read your post on the workings of the ecu, well done, but i will come back to that later, in a mega post.

running 2 fans on the radiator is a great idea, as i'm going to do it, the existing left hand fan will be controlled by the wank ecu, and the new fan on the right of the radiator will be controller by a switch (note: going to up-grade the fan blades) so when i'm in traffic i will turn on the right hand fan, this should stop the left hand fan from coming on. thus i'm only running one fan.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
hi

mike, i did read your post on the workings of the ecu, well done, but i will come back to that later, in a mega post.

running 2 fans on the radiator is a great idea, as i'm going to do it, the existing left hand fan will be controlled by the wank ecu, and the new fan on the right of the radiator will be controller by a switch (note: going to up-grade the fan blades) so when i'm in traffic i will turn on the right hand fan, this should stop the left hand fan from coming on. thus i'm only running one fan.
Alongwith the upgraded fan blade you can fit an overide switch form the same source (readilly available) so no need for the extra installation if only want a single fan on anyway.

·
Premium Member
377 Posts
Desmo Times has a very nice kit just for this purpose, it includes an aluminum fan for greater efficiency and a switch with wiring to manually turn it on as needed without disabling the automatic actuation dictated by the ECU. I installed one on my bike and love it. Texas gulf coast summers pretty much dictate having one.
Check it out here:
http://www.desmotimes.com/product74.htm

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ditto the Gulf Coast riding!

Hello
Yeah, Jackflash, I totally agree, can't really do without the thermo override and the hi-efficiency fan down here. I've found when I cut mine on before the temps climb above 200F I can usually keep them under control, however, once they get much above that, on a hot day, I can't really get them down.
Where I was worried was the prospect of riding the hi-comp motor in traffic (won't be much, I hope...) I suspect the temp's are going to be pretty hard to control during 7-8 months of the year. I was contemplating a dual-fan setup with both fans on the manual override.
Got a clean cooling system with silicone hoses, don't know what else to do.
Mike, let me tell you about our weather........It ain't like up there in Anacortes, that's for sure!

·
Registered
105 Posts
+1 on the Desmo Times Upgrade

Desmo Times has a very nice kit just for this purpose, it includes an aluminum fan for greater efficiency and a switch with wiring to manually turn it on as needed without disabling the automatic actuation dictated by the ECU. I installed one on my bike and love it. Texas gulf coast summers pretty much dictate having one.
Check it out here:
http://www.desmotimes.com/product74.htm
+1 on the Desmo Times fan upgrade. I installed the switch and larger fan blades last spring. I ride my 2007 ST3 every day in SOCAL traffic to and from work and even in the heat we had this summer the engine never got over 185-190 sitting in traffic and during surface street stop and go riding.

Now I just wish I had one in my Shoei X11!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts