Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking at a project bike and have lines into 3 bikes: '05 S4R/6000 miles, '06 S4 RS/35,000 miles, '07 S2R/15,000 miles. All 3 look like they are in good to excellent shape. Since I dont know anything about these bikes, mechanically, any comments would be appreciated. FWIW....my current ride is a '12 MTS and Im currently swapping belts/doing the valves, so working on them myself is not an issue.

Thanks

·
Registered
19 Posts
Do you want more power delivered smoothly or slightly less but more aggressive? I like the nature and the looks of S2R so i'd go with that. Probably a bit easier to work with too because it's not liquid cooled, but the basic stuff like changing belts is easy on both.

Really a matter of opinion, mine being that a naked bike should be air cooled.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello

If the '06 really is a RS (998 Testastretta motor) it is head and shoulders superior to the desmo motors you listed of the other two models. Much easier to perform maintenance on, as well.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He said.....it is a S4RS (Ohlins, radial Brembo's) w/35,000 miles. Its had a valve job/new valves + a total service. He wants $5600.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
AS stated above, the RS motor is a "monster" (up until this years 1200 monster it was the most powerful engine offered in a monster) and the suspension is top notch compared to the other 2 models.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So, even w/a 35,000 & a valve job, that would be the bike to buy? I dont know anything about the S2/4R & S, so....
Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
Depends, all I stated is that it is the highest performance one of the three. I myself prefer air cooled bikes, really depends what you're going to use it for. I have an sport classic with the same engine as the s2r, and love it for its power delivery and simplicity. Cannot say that any of these will outperform your multi but they are all lower to ground, easier on,off, go type of rides.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Quite frankly, I had a line on a S2R, but it evaporated. Since I currently putting my '12 MTS back together, after doing the valves/timing belts, a 2-V might be kinda nice. Ive got lines on 3 S4R's and 1 S4RS. Decisions...decisions.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I would go with a S4RS, hands down.
The problem with a S2R or S4R is that if you own them you will be wanting for more (which is the S4RS), but you won't have that issue with the S4RS. Besides it will be a future classic and it's an amazing bike to ride.

·
Registered
7,062 Posts
I'd go S4RS because of the suspension, but the power and brakes would be nice too.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Doesnt the 4R & 4RS have the same motor, or at least close? it seems a low mileage (found one w/3000 miles) might be the way to go vs a high mileage bike. Swapping out suspension/brakes is easy enough.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The S4RS have a 998 Testastretta engine. You can get the S4R with the same engine but you have to get a newer one. Older models had a 996 engine.

You can upgrade the brakes etc but you will end up with an upgraded S4R. I would look for a low mileage S4RS.

·
Registered
299 Posts
S2r 1000.. she's a 2V'er so valve jobs are easier, adjustable suspension and all around a fantastic bike...

Having said that....

The S4RS is a hell of a bike... Lots of power, Ohlins bling and whatnot.. a monster with SBK power!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would prefer the S2R 2V'er as Ive got a 4V, but havent found one yet.

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
Hello
The 998 Testastretta motor is the "next generation" motor (from the Desmoquattro)
The same motor family as the 1098 and the 1198.
That's the big difference between it and the other bikes.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I ride the s2r800 . suspension is its short coming. otherwise its a fun bike to own. if you want bonkers buy a new monster or look at a streetfighter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts