Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen three S2R's [including the one on ebay below] with the cans removed, running only pipes and cat. converter.

What's the deal with this? I don't ever hear any mention about tuning of the injection map in these cases. I know the 5.9 ECU is locked. My understanding is you have to buy a Ducati Performance ECU, or a PCIII module [or something similar] to modify the fuel map.
Are these guy's just running blind, or is there no noticeable difference in performance? I think it looks interesting enough. I'm thinking Arrow full system and map as my first modification, but I might just try this for grins temporarily 'till I get some cash together.

I'll certainly ride it stock for awhile first, so I'll have a better baseline feel, before I change anything.

any opinions, or experience regarding this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4609582254&sspagename=ADME:B:SS:US:1

·
Registered
23 Posts
Not trying to hi-jack your thread, but that S2R in the Ebay ad looks like ass. Hopefully he's selling it to buy a something he can really represent for the squid-irotti.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
that is the 2nd time I have seen the pipes cut right off the back of the suitcase catalyzer.....I think it is rather unsitely and it is probably loud to boot...and if you are ever in a place where they look at can for noise violations....you'de be spotlighted I'd bet.....the best sound I have heard from an S2R is from the Arrow replacement system ....which rather than getting the backordered (at least it still might be,but I am not sure as of right now) full system....you get the half system and then the catalyzer replacement pipe which eliminates that ugly suitcase....Arrow makes one as well as Ducati Performance has one listed in the catalog for them but it has a label on it saying "for race use only"...yeah right...whatever Ducati!.....but that being said....I have heard of folks that after getting rid of the emissions cannister on the left front and putting on the exhaust as I have mentioned and getting the bike remapped on a dyno with a PCIII and doing a small airbox mod of estimates of about 10 more horses out of it!

S

·
0 Posts
Blade, you did the right think asking about the exhaust. First off any dealer that sees this would probably call and void the warranty on the bike. Ducati doesn't void warranties for quality after market pipes. That said I am sure that the engine is running way to lean and he is actually losing horsepower. The sound is probably irritating and crappy. If I own a Ducati I want it to sound like a Ducati not a delivery van in need of a muffler. From my experience the Arrow is the best and looks great. It is a lot of cash but a investment into happiness. -ken

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
SBKI said:
I am sure that the engine is running way to lean and he is actually losing horsepower....sound like a Ducati not a delivery van in need of a muffler. -ken
My thoughts exactly. I've never heard one with no cans, only seen them in posts.

Ken, what are your suggestions as far as the mapping goes? PCIII, DP ECU, or something along the lines of Technoresearch's Rapidbike module?

I have the Direct Link tuning software for working on the 1.5 ECU in my racebike [but I won't start familiarizing myself with it 'till i get my motor back together] I have lambda meters, and O2 sensors...but I'm not sure I want to attack this bike [welding 19mm take-offs on the exhaust, etc.] I want to keep it pretty simple...at least to start..Lol

I don't want to start going nutty [tuning] on this bike, I just want it to be a nice clean ride.

Your pics are exactly what I'm looking to do. That is the direction I want to go with this bike.

S

·
0 Posts
Sean, With the Arrow system the bike doesn't need very much as far as a module goes. The PCIII would do fine and if you get a DP ECU it should also be plug and play. The guys at Technoresearch are a good bunch. I use their fuel injection program and have been waiting on the new one that they are about to release. I was talking to them last week about their modules. I think they are definetly worth trying out. I like it because I can stock one main module and then change the harness for different bikes. Great if you buy another bike in the future.
The main thing in making the bike run right is having the TPS, Trim and CO set correctly before you add the upgrades. Most shops just say it's good but it takes time to get it right

·
Registered
20 Posts
Speaking as a guy with the pipes removed just past the back of the cat (they're not cut by the way, the "S" pipes just clamp on) it was kind of a poor man's exhaust situation. I had to take the whole system off for some reason or another and just decided to run it cat only and ended up liking the way it sounds. Compared to stock anyway.

The arrow system DOES sound better, but then you're looking at $1k+ for the exhaust, $50 for the K&N, $300+ for the PC, plus the dyno tuning. I get that it's better for the motor and it's a performance increase, but it's also a lot of scratch to dump for 10 (maybe) horse. The turn in is awesome as well with the weight up top removed. I put the cans back on for a month or two last year and noticed an increase in low end punch (with the increased back pressure) but the turning and the sound was worth it to me. I've heard other Ducati folks tell me they don't like the sound, but it's fine for what it is and it has actually prevented a handful of cars from cutting me off, just from the sound.

Food for thought.

Oh, and if you're reeeeally into it and you chop the throttle you can get a bit of back fire, but I hardly ride that hard anymore so it's a non issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts