Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So i'm looking into getting the S2R 800 sometime this winter or next spring however during all of my research it seems like i may be simply too heavy for the soft/nonadjustable suspension.

I'm 5'11" and 220lbs and sure i could lose about 20-30lbs but i am not grossly over weight. I mean if i was absolutely RIPPED I'd be about 180lbs.

So does this kinda rule out this bike for me? I really wouldn't mind going the S2R 1000 route but i think insurance will hurt more and i really don't want to re-introduce myself to street bike riding on a 95hp motor which is why i was looking at the 696 or the S2R 800.

What does everyone else think? I wouldn't mind getting the S2R 800 and modding the suspension a bit to fit my weight but how expensive? Hundreds or thousands?

Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
Buy the S2R1000. I am the exact same dimensions as you, the S2R800 suspension is grossly inadequate. I very quickly put on a 749 front end, new triples etc. The cost of doing this is about the same as the difference in price of a S2R1000. You will also really enjoy the power of the 1000, the 800 is no slouch, but the 1000 is just that much better.

KNG
2005 S2R800

So i'm looking into getting the S2R 800 sometime this winter or next spring however during all of my research it seems like i may be simply too heavy for the soft/nonadjustable suspension.

I'm 5'11" and 220lbs and sure i could lose about 20-30lbs but i am not grossly over weight. I mean if i was absolutely RIPPED I'd be about 180lbs.

So does this kinda rule out this bike for me? I really wouldn't mind going the S2R 1000 route but i think insurance will hurt more and i really don't want to re-introduce myself to street bike riding on a 95hp motor which is why i was looking at the 696 or the S2R 800.

What does everyone else think? I wouldn't mind getting the S2R 800 and modding the suspension a bit to fit my weight but how expensive? Hundreds or thousands?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I too would get a 1000, but if all you are worried about is getting the sag right, you can do front springs for about $150 and the rear spring for about $100. Not a lot of cash. With the spring rates right for your weight it ought to work okay. I think there is rebound adjustment at the rear, no? At the front, if it is too boingy you can always try heavier weight oil.

Really depends how fussy you are about suspension. If you like to fiddle a lot than you won't be satisfied with it. But if you just want it to work half way decently then it needn't be that expensive.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well historically with all my cars and toulys I tinker a little bit but I want this bike to be my commuter bike as I live in Chicago. There will be zero track days and I would really prefer the wet slipper over the dry. If I can change spring rates and throw in some heavier weight oil and be close that should be fine for me.

·
Premium Member
2,456 Posts
I see that the forks are listed as 43-mm Marzocchis. That probably means that they have the rebound damping only on the right, and the compression only on the left. That brings with it the possibility of adjusting rebound and compression separately by using different weight oil in each for leg.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
hmm...i'll have to look them up. I was under the impression that there was ZERO adjustability on the front forks and only some minor adjustments on the rear shock.

·
Registered
403 Posts
I own an '05 S2R. I would buy another bike! The forks are non adjustable Marzocci's and there is preload and rebound on the rear shock. I had the forks re-worked by Traxxion Dynamics, the AK-20 kit was installed. With that the bike is almost rideable but not by much. It is my city bike and is very uncomfortable to ride more than an hour and my butt aches. Without a fairing the tolerable top speed is 80mph.

If it were'nt so cute and I do my own maintenance, I would sell it for another European make. I also have an '03 ST4s that is comfortable for 8 hours at a time. Hey, I own one and that is my opinion about it.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have read briefly about the gixxer front end but doesn't seem very bolt on and requires some shimming and spacing. I'd rather stay away from that.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts