Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I purchased my first Ducati at the beginning of the month, and about a week ago it has started running funny.

I rode the bike about 50 miles all day without any problems. The weather was perfectly warm, about 70 degrees. I left to make the 20 mile trip home, and as I pulled into the driveway, the bike started to sputter and died on me. Afterwards it would not hold an idle, and was idling extremely rich, as my eyes were burning horribly.

I purchased a new set of plugs, and pulled the old ones to find what I expected, 2 horribly fouled black plugs. I gapped the plugs to what my old ones were set at and replaced them, idled the bike manually, meaning I held the throttle physically @ about 3k rpms until it was fully warmed, and the problem persisted.

I pulled the new plugs and found they were fouled as well. One thing I noticed when I pulled into the driveway was that my fast idle was left on about halfway. However, after speaking with Ducati Minneapolis and Ducati Wisconsin, having the fast idle engaged shouldnt have caused me to have the problems I am currently experiencing, and that this is purely coincidental. So with that said..

Heres the run down

Bike
2006 Ducati Monster S2R 800
61xx Miles

Modifications
Termignoni Slip on
Ducati Race ECU
Race Filter
Tuned by Ducati Corse Motorsports Wi

Symptoms
fouling plugs
choppy idle (when held)
cannot idle on its own
cannot start without my turning the throttle physically
fast idle doesnt do anything
even while fully warmed the problem persists
once in a while when the bike dies, it will shoot a puff of black smoke out of the filter, indicating excessive amounts of fuel being dumped at idle

what ive tried
- stock ecu
- removed the filter to see if it was obstructive
- new plugs, exactly what was in the bike when it was running tip top. NGK BCPR8E​

Possible problems and solutions folks? Any help is extremely appreciated.

·
Registered
395 Posts
clogged/ bad/ disconnected O2 sensor?

·
Registered
603 Posts
How many miles did you put on your bike w/ stock ecu to see if the bike ran leaner? My guess the culprit is the race ecu. You can also check the air bleed screws to make sure they're not fully closed.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How many miles did you put on your bike w/ stock ecu to see if the bike ran leaner? My guess the culprit is the race ecu. You can also check the air bleed screws to make sure they're not fully closed.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
The bike has had the race ecu since I picked it up. Ive put about 700 miles on the bike with this ecu on.

Ive taken it off and put the stock ecu on to see if anything would change and nothing did which leads me to believe the race ecu isnt the issue.

·
Registered
273 Posts
engine temp sensor is my guess

I think the problem is the engine temp sensor on the front cylinder intake valve cover.
Check the connector is clean and also the sensor may be faulty.
Cheers ,Todd Patterson

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
took an OHMS meter to the TPS today, this is what it read at idle.

eek.

Bike is going to Ducati Minneapolis this week, ill get that bad boy reset, a valve job, and ill be on my way to riding in no time. (crosses fingers)

·
Registered
54 Posts
took an OHMS meter to the TPS today, this is what it read at idle.

eek.

Bike is going to Ducati Minneapolis this week, ill get that bad boy reset, a valve job, and ill be on my way to riding in no time. (crosses fingers)
um, you have the meter set incorrectly, that isnt even ohms (resistance). you have the meter set to dc voltage 2000mv setting, meaning you got a reading of 1.57 volts. or were you trying to read tps voltage? because resistance (ohms) has nothing to do with voltage lol.

also, I've been a nut for NGK sparkplugs for years and years no matter what the application was. but after finding champions in my duc, I did some research n what it would cross to for an ngk plug, and found a LOT of forum posters on various websites saying NGK plugs are crap in ducatis and should NOT be used. most of the time it would run fine for a few minutes, then run choppy as heck, then run rich as heck, then rough up and foul out and die and not restart again. cleaning the plugs would make it start up again but only for a few seconds before it'd repeat itsself. but I insisted on giving it a shot cuz I love NGK plugs. I used the exact same nkg plugs you have, and guess what? my bike ran fine for about 1 minute, then got choppy, then died and wouldnt restart. pulled the plugs and they were blacker than black and all wet and fouled out. cleaned em, tried again, same thing. put the champions back in (RA6HC, what my bike calls for), bike fired right up and ran amazingly for 100 miles.
while hot I tried another set of the same ngk plugs, these ones again brand new, same exact thing happened, ran fine, chopped up, fouled out, died, wouldnt restart.

get yourself the champion plugs that your bike calls for, should be right on the sticker on the frame. you may find that is the only problem with your bike

·
Registered
24 Posts
it could be the TPS setting that is wrong. If you want to check the voltage out of the TPS you need the correct procedure or bring it to the dealer. TPS voltage output when the throttle is resting on the idle stop screw shall be around 400mv not 1500mv (the exact voltage varies with models).

Reading the description of your problem i would start by making sure the TPS (and Throttle Body) is set up properly and this involves more than performing a TPS reset using a software.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
so I took the bike up to Ducati Minneapolis and they hooked the bike up to a computer. The issue was the TPS for some reason was thinking the bike was at 10% at idle, so it was dumping loads of fuel. TPS reset, and I went on my way. Everything ran perfect at the dealer.

I get home and park the bike.. The next morning I start it and the issue is back. (fuuuuu)

Brought the bike up to the dealer for another check up and the bike threw a tps code, so a new one is on the way. I hope the problem is fixed with that.

And I seem to recall that the Ducati manual that came with the bike mentioned NGK plugs being the ones that were supposed to be used on the s2r 800.

·
Registered
24 Posts
i am not familiar with the TPS on the 06 monster but i find it a bit strange that they did not baseline the TPS on the Throttle Body before trying to reset it with the software. Now that they have ordered a new part they will be forced to do it. It is possible though that your TPS went bad.

Just curious, how much will they charge you for the whole thing ?

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So, new TPS fixed my issues, bike is running very well.

I had them order a new one and install it, I ended up getting raped for $300, but after I got on the bike, I didnt care how much I paid, it was worth it. Definitely missed riding.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts