Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, so before I get flame grilled for not serching first ect......I have searched thru every post I can find across every Ducati forum I can find. Aparently a few have done this but I have PM'ed them all and aint getting any responses.

Furthermore, I have gone thru multiple APTC wet clutches and in my experience they are rubbish. Work fine for a bit then become so incredibly frustrating with their opperation. Ranging from clutch slip to all sorts of problems. If they were as good as they are cracked up to be, they would have been fitted to ALL Ducati bikes. Interesting to note that the wet clutch is only used on the lowest powered models (excl. 848).

Clutch plates are difficult to get, and expensive.

In short, I have seen it is possible to convert to the dry clutch assembly, but how is this done?

Obviously you need a complete clutch assembly and the outer side casing, but other than that everything is a bit foggy.

I need someone with specific knowledge of this conversion to shed some light for me, detailed information, not just "Its a lot of work and is expensive".

Please help me, Im not interested in changing motors ect. The bike I have has had considerable money put into it and it is exactly the way I want it.

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
So far my searching has turned over that I will need the following items.

Engine side casing from a dry clutch model, 748-916-996 seem to be the most common, so long as its not from a Tesstestretta engine.

Clutch assembly(hub,basket,plates,pressure plate ect) from the same above models

Starter gear set (the ones behind the clutch)

A series of spacers, as the output shaft is longer on the wet clutch models and a different diameter I think.

Some small modification to the clutch its self to fit the output shaft

Some way of blocking the wet clutch oil feed, maybe a grub screw or similar.

I am still in the dark regarding seals, ect.

Please help me guys. Im a mechanic by trade and have all the neccesary equipmet to do this, but dont want to screw it up.

Thanks heaps

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Is there anybody out there that can help me?

Just a list of parts would be great.

Or do I just start collecting parts, learn the hard way and keep it all to myself?

·
Registered
138 Posts
It's a lot of work and is expensive.

Sorry, I couldn't resist. I wish I could help, but I've never seen a clutch converted to dry and it's beyond my mechanical knowledge.

Good luck!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies guys, I am finding that it is only an expensive exercise IF.....you buy all your parts new and you cant do any labour yourself.

Getting all your parts from somewhere like ebay cuts costs considerably, also depending on what clutch you use will determine costs eg. A factory clutch assembly or an STM slipper or something.

Also, thank you for the link, I have looked thru that in great detail. It seems that they were going to split the cases to do the conversion and block the oil galleries and change the output shaft. This is the ideal way but not the only way. The oil galleries can be blocked with the engine in the frame and the clutch can be adapted to the output shaft but needs some modification.

At the moment, the 2 things holding things up are what clutch drive gears do I use? and what clutch activation rod do I use?

It seems the sport classic guys are keen to do this but get discouraged by others. If you love your bike and DONT want to change the engine, it can be done reasonably.

I have looked at the 848 dry clutch conversion kit, I know that the clutch side casing from the new line of motors wont fit the previous ones. I would love to know if the rest of the kit is able to be used to do the swap. My understanding is that the 848 motor is based off the 1098, so the output shaft should be the same?

The 848 uses the same clutch as the ST3 05-07, ST4S 05, GT1000 S 07-09 and Multistrada 1100 07-09. If the wet clutch from these will fit my 800, then I cant see why the conversion wont work with a different clutch side casing?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Thanks for the replies guys, I am finding that it is only an expensive exercise IF.....you buy all your parts new and you cant do any labour yourself.

Getting all your parts from somewhere like ebay cuts costs considerably, also depending on what clutch you use will determine costs eg. A factory clutch assembly or an STM slipper or something.

Also, thank you for the link, I have looked thru that in great detail. It seems that they were going to split the cases to do the conversion and block the oil galleries and change the output shaft. This is the ideal way but not the only way. The oil galleries can be blocked with the engine in the frame and the clutch can be adapted to the output shaft but needs some modification.

At the moment, the 2 things holding things up are what clutch drive gears do I use? and what clutch activation rod do I use?

It seems the sport classic guys are keen to do this but get discouraged by others. If you love your bike and DONT want to change the engine, it can be done reasonably.

I have looked at the 848 dry clutch conversion kit, I know that the clutch side casing from the new line of motors wont fit the previous ones. I would love to know if the rest of the kit is able to be used to do the swap. My understanding is that the 848 motor is based off the 1098, so the output shaft should be the same?

The 848 uses the same clutch as the ST3 05-07, ST4S 05, GT1000 S 07-09 and Multistrada 1100 07-09. If the wet clutch from these will fit my 800, then I cant see why the conversion wont work with a different clutch side casing?

So, I have no "real" value to add to this thread as I'm fairly new to Ducati's in general.

That said, if you've got access to your own lathe/press/mill this *shouldn't* be that hard. Expensive, maybe, but hard no.

Assuming the clutch has it's own casing (aka, the clutch cover doesn't cover other items such as chain drives/pumps/electrical components - if this is the case, you'll need a custom piece made, most likely a casting which is going to be $$), and that there are no bearings that need to be lubricated, you should simply need to swap parts.

If it were me, I'd start with disassembling the clutch. Next, I'd start measuring everything and anything - shaft lengths, diameters, hub depth/diameter, etc. Then it's simply a matter of finding the right parts, plugging some oil galley's, and fabricating some sort of cover for it.

One thing I'd keep in mind, though, is that IF you do this and plug the oil galley's you need to make damn sure you're not starving a component downstream from the clutch in the circuit - IE study the oil flow circuit before you do this.....and if you do, post the info up with pics, I'm interested

·
Registered
147 Posts
The 848 dry clutch conversion is actually a complete slipper clutch setup. An in theory you should be able to just use parts from a S2R 1000 as they have a dry clutch, so see if you can find a parts breakdown from an S2R 1000 as they could be the best bet to figuring out exactly what you need an need to do to make this work

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The outer casing is a direct fit and the oil gelleries only supply the clutch, not in a circuit. The only real problem is the output shaft being longer on the wet clutch model.

On the subject of using the components from the S2R 1000, the 1000 is the same setup as all 748,916,996 eg. so its all the same ammount of work regardless of what setup you use

The 848 is all based on the new engine casing design, without seeing a complete kit, its hadr to tell if it would work at all

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There seems to be limited interest in this so........For anybody interested in this please just PM me on the progress.

Ive almost got all my parts together so the fun begins.....

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have been wanting to do this convertion to one or both of my SS800's. And your right very little info on this topic out there. I have bought a right side engine cover on eBay but haven't did much more yet. if the only differance is the output shaft length, then that is a easy fix from where i am sitting. I'm a CNC machinst instructor so making a custom pressure plate to take up the extra length is not a big deal. Does anyone know how much extra length we are talking about?

·
Registered
457 Posts
home made dry clutch conversion

Attempted it myself last winter on a 848 (with the help of a very good Ducati mechanic) using dry clutch parts. I wanted the kit but they were not available yet and thought I could buy the parts used and do the conversion for about $850 U.S. (Attached is a copy of the instructions and parts list from the 848 conversion kit).

It is not clear in the instructions but I was told after my 848 was partially disassembled that the cases needed to be split. At that point, I decided to just buy/install a yoyodyne wet slipper.

The money I spent on all the new and used parts, labor and down time while my bike was disassembled was equal to the cost of the $1600 848 dry clutch kit:mad: I might as well have waited and bought the kit and paid the additional $ for install.

If you really want a dry clutch -- trading in your wet clutched monster for a dry clutched model may be the best option.:think:

Good luck.

Attachments

1 - 12 of 12 Posts