Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So.... Long story short, I was looking to do a fun budget upgrade to my bike, a small project.

Hit eBay, found a really low mileage, pretty much brand new 749 999 shock! Yay! But. It was a 749 Sachs, not the 999 Showa. Should have done my research, but anyway, I picked it up for cheap.

From reading (which I should have done more of), the Sachs isn't as good as the Showa.

My main question is this, my 06 Monster has about 6k on it, this 749 Sachs shock has 1500 miles. I don't mind doing the project if I would see any benefit what so ever, I enjoy projects. I've read regardless, that it's an upgrade, but I'm curious if I should just resell the shock and take the hit, or try my hand and benefit from the better shock (it has to be better than the Sachs that is on there now right?)

Any feedback would be great.

Thank you!
Mario

·
Registered
43 Posts
if you are like me, a typical north american , your stock shocks are undersprung for our weight. the bike was built with a 175lb rider in mind. so I offer the 749 shock will be a huge improvement. worst case senario is you install it, your are not happy, you go buy the showa and sell the sachs.
another option ... ADJUSTABALE HYDRAULIC CARTRIDGE KIT FOR MARZOCCHI FORK DUCATI MONSTER S2R 800
many brand out there. simple plug and play. not exactly inexpensive but will also do what you are after.

·
Registered
94 Posts
I found with a trial fit of a SBK rear shock on my s2r800 that the ignition coil bracket would have to be cut off, and the ignition coil relocated. it would definitely be a good upgrade. another option is to get an ohlins spring for your weight and rebuild the shock with a different weight of oil.

·
Mexican Ducatista
1,151 Posts
but I'm curious if I should just resell the shock and take the hit, or try my hand and benefit from the better shock (it has to be better than the Sachs that is on there now right?)
I was in a similar situation with my S2R1000 based project.
My recommendation. Sell the Sachs and buy a brand new Showa for a few additional bucks.

I got mine here:
Ammortizzatore "Shock" Ducati 749 999 Showa | eBay

1 - 4 of 4 Posts