Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just feels so wrong, but since the 1098 is now my only bike I sometimes need to actually carry stuff on it. I've had a tail bag that I really like for a long time now, but there's really no good way to attach it without risk of scuffing paint. Yesterday was one of those days where I really wanted to ride to where I was going, and also needed to bring stuff with me, so I went into the shop and fabbed up a nice little rack. The base plate fits where the stock seat would go, and installs in the same way. The top plate is sized to fit my tail bag, and sits just tall enough so that nothing touches the bodywork, bungee cords included.

I still dislike the idea of luggage on a superbike, especially a Ducati, but at least now I can ride to where I'm going instead of driving my volvo :p

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's all drawn up in CAD, so it wouldn't be too hard to reproduce. It is a bit time consuming to get everything fit properly though. The entire top plate is actually a duplicate of one I designed a couple years ago for my moms aprilia mana. The rack that she bought from the dealer was really nice, but the actual plate was far too small to actually be useful. I designed up this one to be a direct replacement for the stocker, and to fit the bag that she uses, which happens to be the same one I have. All I did for this one is change the logos and a couple mounting holes.

Attachments

·
Registered
153 Posts
How can something so wrong be so right?

·
Registered
116 Posts
Nice,
Use some inset type screws instead of the bolts on the top cover would top it off.

Great design

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
Nice Workmanship, but you are still going to hell. :D

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, I'm planning on replacing those bolts with buttonheads. The material isn't really thick enough to counter sink them. I wanted to use the rack last night and those were the only bolts available right away so that's what it got.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Brilliant, wrong, but oh so brilliant... If you could fab up a top piece to fit some hard Givi trunks you could easily start a nice little side company...
Really nice work for just "going into the shop to fab something up" :)
Toran

·
Premium Member
1,504 Posts
All bikes are meant to be practical. No matter what you do, your still riding and enjoying it. Fook the naysayers, do what makes you feel good. I rode every day rain or shine, snow or not to work on a clapped out gsxr for a year and a half. I figured what the hell, least I'm riding. Now it's either the 996 or my Tuono. Necessity is the mother...........

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The Givi bracket is an idea, but I'd need a Givi box for that, and I really dont have any plans for that.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Or I suppose if someone really wants a mount and has a box they could loan it to me. Honestly not sure if I'm gonna make any more of these to sell or not, and even what it would cost if I did. The drawings are done, so it probably wouldn't be terribly hard to reproduce, but I'd either need a good amount of demand, or people willing to pay a reasonable price for a small production run.

Someone on another board asked for an overall shot without the bag, so I figured I'd throw the pics up here too.

Attachments

·
Registered
21 Posts
I like it! I could use something like that.
I recently had to do this:

Only intended to buy a quart of paint, but they were out of the base in that size, so I had to get a gallon instead.

Although I have thought about doing something like this for those times I need the bike to be way more practical.....

Those are 1st Gen Multistrada bags with a little (but not much) custom fab work. I'm not sure whose it is, but it is local to Seattle somewhere.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I like it! I could use something like that.
I recently had to do this:

Only intended to buy a quart of paint, but they were out of the base in that size, so I had to get a gallon instead.

Although I have thought about doing something like this for those times I need the bike to be way more practical.....

Those are 1st Gen Multistrada bags with a little (but not much) custom fab work. I'm not sure whose it is, but it is local to Seattle somewhere.
That is Gary Eagan with a sponsor's bike. In this instance, those bags are fuel cells, not luggage.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts