Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just interested to hear what anyone else's running temps are like with some similar variables..

I'm running after a full 45 minutes of "spirited" riding about 225 degrees...Seems pretty high..

Variables:
78 degree day
1080 big bore hi comp pistons
lightened, polished, balanced and knife edged crank
DP cams
TPO Beast R intake
Power commander V
20/50 oil
stock oil cooler

The temp seems similar to bikes I have seen running lean, but I'm not at all...

Thoughts?

·
Registered
714 Posts
I'm getting a about 210 on any given day after a hour or so as long as I'm moving,traffic is another story,I have gone up as high as 275.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow! 275?!

And based on your geographic location...similar heat/humidity to mine...

Once my wallet recovers from this build a little, I plan on that sexy NCR oil cooler..

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
225 sounds normal and not bad at all for the big bore kit...

·
Old Wizard
3,006 Posts
Oil Temperatures

The main reason for installing oil cooling radiators is to keep the oil temperature, and consequently the oil pressure within a designated range for expected riding conditions. But when you take your road bike to the track, a warm day and spirited riding can easily take the oil temperature beyond the design limits.

That's why you should be using a 50-weight viscosity oil for track days to maintain an adequate oil pressure. Also, use a synthetic oil to give yourself a safety net. A regular oil may lose its film strength at temperatures only slightly above 220°F (105°C), while many synthetic oils can be safely used at temperatures as high as 300°F (150°C) before lubrication related failure occurs.

In addition, you should carefully straighten the oil cooler radiator fins that were bent from road debris in order to get the maximum cooling from the unit. After you straighten them, attach some protective screening to the backside of the v-piece to prevent future damage.

Some studies have shown that test engines produce optimum horsepower in dyno-simulated racing situations when the oil was between 200-220°F (93-105°C.)

I’ve lost the reference, but one source states: "An engine should never be driven hard until the oil reaches 120°F (49°C). The ideal operating temperature is 175-195°F (80-90°C). It can go as high as 265°F (130°C) for short periods but oil breakdown and excessive oxidation will take place above this temperature."

Suzuki states, for example, that under racing conditions, oil should be kept at about 190-210°F (88-99°C) and that regular temperatures any higher should be an issue of concern. I don't know what Ducati's official position on this issue is, but I'm sure it's similar.

For highly modified race bikes, a larger oil cooler often needs to be fitted to keep temperatures in the optimum range and avoid lubrication related engine failures.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
According to the manual, the stock engine is safe all the way up to 338F. When I had stock exhaust and on 10w40, I regularly went above 260 in traffic. Now with termis and the richer DP ECU I hit 220-230. 225 seems like an optimal temperature

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Hmmm....went for ride yesterday and my Temp gauge hit 279 in stop and go traffic!! I stopped and let the bike cool down for about 15-20mins and took a faster route home (less stop n go traffic) and it ranged from 245-260. The outside temp was around 91 with 60%+ humidity. I'm running DP ECU, DP air box lid and Termi 2-2 shotguns.

Is this cause for concern? What is the normal operating temp for a DS1000 motor?

And, yes, I'm going to change my oil to 20w-50 synthetic (possibly Bel-Ray, Amsoil or Royal Purple). I'm using Motul 300V 10w-40 at present. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Hmmm....went for ride yesterday and my Temp gauge hit 279 in stop and go traffic!! I stopped and let the bike cool down for about 15-20mins and took a faster route home (less stop n go traffic) and it ranged from 245-260. The outside temp was around 91 with 60%+ humidity. I'm running DP ECU, DP air box lid and Termi 2-2 shotguns.

Is this cause for concern? What is the normal operating temp for a DS1000 motor?

And, yes, I'm going to change my oil to 20w-50 synthetic (possibly Bel-Ray, Amsoil or Royal Purple). I'm using Motul 300V 10w-40 at present. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app
20w-50 will definitely give you a significant temperature drop. Adjusting the trim richer would help too. I don't think anything under 300 is cause for concern though

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A solid spirited ride to wrap up a long day and the bike was running tip top at no higher 210 degrees. It was high 60s at dusk and no traffic where I was riding.

The PC5 still needs some tweeking and I need to adjust the TPS, but until the snow falls, I'm done buying stuff for this year!

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
My PS gets up to around 120c = 250f in town on a "hot" summer's day (hot for London is 30C).
Hottest I've seen the bike is 127c I think, in dense, non-moving London traffic.

The PS has termi 2-1, ECU, and now runs a MosFet under the seat... (which runs warmer than I expected it to).

The SC runs a bit cooler, around 100-110c ish. = 230f with termi end cans, ECU, etc.

·
Premium Member
1,950 Posts
In New England summers, if I'm moving I usually run ~210 on back roads. At 5k RPM at highway speeds, I'm usually hanging around or just under 200. Even stuck in traffic, I rarely get above 230. Even in stop and go traffic w/ temps in the upper 90's, 240 is the highest I've ever seen.

After a fresh oil change, I it seems like temps are 10 degrees cooler for a few weeks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts