Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i've been noticing a distinct increase in engine noise (almost like valves clanking) for the last ~500 miles on my 11 1200s. no warning lights or anything, just... clankier and maybe less hp.

is my bike looking forward to its 7500 service or something else...

or is it just in my head.

thoughts?

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Yes......or you chain is loose or dry. Have you checked this and oiled it? I firmly hold the view that the MTS and other long travel bikes are very sensitive to correct chain adjustment.

My bikes first service made no difference to the bike's feel.
The 24K (KM) service transformed it. More power, much less 3,000 RPM stutter and far smoother at cruising speed. This is the first time valves are adjusted.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for tip.

chain is freshly oiled (last week), but i will check tension. i haven't checked before, and will have to search forums/web for method.

if that's fine, maybe i will do valve adjustment early - or at least ask dealer for opinion?!?

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
If you haven't checked chain tension in a while, I'm sure it's stretched out and too loose. It's a very simple procedure to tighten the chain. If it's too loose, it may be slapping against the chain guard on the swingarm and that is what you're hearing? I have 7k miles on mine and engine sounds the same as 2k miles.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
i've been noticing a distinct increase in engine noise (almost like valves clanking) for the last ~500 miles on my 11 1200s. no warning lights or anything, just... clankier and maybe less hp.

is my bike looking forward to its 7500 service or something else...

or is it just in my head.

thoughts?
Bart

The only thing I can offer after 18,000 miles re: valves and and your "noise" is:

My 15,000 mile valve check showed that they were "dead on" according to the Ducati tech.

I have an opinion that some may share (or not) that if you are able to ride your bike every day: the bike will always run better.

And more than that: if you are also able to ride for a period of time (every single ride) at above 80 mph for maybe five straight minutes (very few owners have this opportunity)....you are going to have a bike that just loves to be started up. You are going to have fewer problems.

Bart, I know that you have ridden enough for you to know if the chain may be a problem. It may be....but you would know.

It's just that 90% of riders do not have the time to ride their bike as if they were either wealthy or unemployed. And also have a track or a police patrol free roadway available everyday of the week.

It takes that kind of situation.

Riding these sophisticated bikes require that you do not get on them only every so often for a ride around country or town.

They will forever give you problems (in spades) if you don't ride them like they were designed to be ridden.

Dan

1 - 5 of 5 Posts