Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2015 1200 S and can't find any gas more than 87 octane here in the Austin TX area now. I've put it in urban mode to limit the power and careful not to use WOT or lug it at all. But wondering if anyone else has run 87 octane in a DVT with or without ill effects?

·
Registered
853 Posts
Ducati states:

Anti-Knocking Sensor

"The Ducati Testastretta DVT features an integrated anti-knocking sensor; while optimized for high octane fuel (RON 95), thanks to an anti-knocking sensor the motor can also operate - without manual intervention - on lower octane normal fuel (RON 91) as are sometimes found in distant countries."

91–92 RON = 86–87 US Regular

·
Registered
137 Posts
just got back from a ride into an area where its challenging to find any premium gas so I filled up once or twice with regular gas and had no running issues whatsoever

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ducati states:

Anti-Knocking Sensor

"The Ducati Testastretta DVT features an integrated anti-knocking sensor; while optimized for high octane fuel (RON 95), thanks to an anti-knocking sensor the motor can also operate - without manual intervention - on lower octane normal fuel (RON 91) as are sometimes found in distant countries."

91–92 RON = 86–87 US Regular
Sweet! Because who knows how long it will be before we get US 91 octane back. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
4,256 Posts
The Knock sensor is your friend... I also had to use 87 a couple times during a trip and didn't have any issues - not that I'd recommend doing that since the bike was designed for higher octane, but no worries if you have to do it occasionally.

·
Registered
132 Posts
You don't have 93 down south? We usually have 93 in Dallas...just curious. I had to put 87 in my 2014 S yesterday...ran fine. I know it's not a DVT...but still a 1200S.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I have a DVT and ran into the same issue while on a trip to ride in the hill country. I had to use some regular and had no issues.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Currently cannot find anything other than 87 octane in the Austin area including Marble Falls and Burnet. I have no idea how long this will last so I will be running 87 for the foreseeable future.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Currently cannot find anything other than 87 octane in the Austin area including Marble Falls and Burnet. I have no idea how long this will last so I will be running 87 for the foreseeable future.
I was able to get 93 on Thursday at the Valero station west of Dripping Springs. I don't think Valero shut down their refineries so presumably still able to supply premium.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to get 93 on Thursday at the Valero station west of Dripping Springs. I don't think Valero shut down their refineries so presumably still able to supply premium.
I live in Dripping Springs but didn't try that station. Thanks for the heads up! BTW: I did try a Valero in Marble Falls on Saturday and they only had regular unleaded, 87.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts