Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
457 Posts
Yeah I heard that one. I also heard that Vermuelen may be going back to WSBK next year and Spies will be taking his spot instead. Apparently an exception to the 'no factory rides for rookies' rule exists, and a rookie can go to the factory Suzuki squad because they have no satellite operation.

There's also a rumor that Edwards is in discussions about going to WSBK again, so if he and JT both depart that leaves yet another seat open. Maybe Rossi will use his Yamaha influence to get Marco Simoncelli in there, who knows.

I think the coolest thing about this whole back-and-forth between MotoGP and WSBK is that it really shows how good WSBK is now. Next year should be interesting if even half of these rumored moves happens.

·
Premium Member
3,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, if that rule exception is true, that would be interesting.

Yeah I heard that one. I also heard that Vermuelen may be going back to WSBK next year and Spies will be taking his spot instead. Apparently an exception to the 'no factory rides for rookies' rule exists, and a rookie can go to the factory Suzuki squad because they have no satellite operation.

There's also a rumor that Edwards is in discussions about going to WSBK again, so if he and JT both depart that leaves yet another seat open. Maybe Rossi will use his Yamaha influence to get Marco Simoncelli in there, who knows.

I think the coolest thing about this whole back-and-forth between MotoGP and WSBK is that it really shows how good WSBK is now. Next year should be interesting if even half of these rumored moves happens.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
hmm... I really hope to see Ben get a wsbk title before going to GP.. but Im sure he could get the gp ride if he wants one.
I read an interview with Colin ( who appearently hangs out with ben regularly) he said he though ben would stick around to get a championship. But who knows???

·
Banned
11,256 Posts
If the Yamaha brakes down again this season, I bet Spies leaves WSBK and goes to MotoGP IF there is a seat open. This would probably mean Toseland would move back to WSBK. Edwards wants to go back to WSBK as well, I think he's done with the MotoGP politics. He's eyeing a ride on Aprilia, but the current riders I believe have a 2 year contract? Say it ain't so?

I really hope Colin moves back to WSBK and Spies stays that year. Wouldn't it be great to see; Hopkins, Spies, Edwards and Hacking together? What a great demographic of American riders. Then you've got a great group of brits and silly Haga! LOL :D

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
457 Posts
He's eyeing a ride on Aprilia, but the current riders I believe have a 2 year contract? Say it ain't so?
Nakano is on a contract for 2009 only, with an option for 2010, according to this article--

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=34878

So Aprilia can probably dump him if they want. However according to the related article about Biaggi, he has a 2-year contract:

http://www.roadracingworld.com/news/article/?lnk=rss&article=34278

Given that Max has been riding a lot better than Shinya lately, I wouldn't doubt it if they took their "option" and found someone else to put on that bike currently wearing the #56. However I would be surprised if Edwards wanted to go back there after their ill-fated MotoGP bike tried to barbecue his ass.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have been saying that Spies will most likely be on a tech-3 (or equivalent) team next year with a full factory spec Yamaha next year. The biggest complication with Tech3 right now is that they are rumored to be stepping down to the moto2 category. The only real sticking point with the Spies Toseland swap is that Toseland is a british rider, a very important market for Dorna. It has been rumored that Dorna has been subsidizing Toselands ride just to have a british rider in the series. Even though Edwards has been out-performing his anglo teammate, there is a real chance that Spies could get his ride. Either way, I think Yamaha and Spies worked out a GP ride option when they hashed out this contract last year.

·
Premium Member
8,745 Posts
It will be a reality check to see Spies as an also ran if he takes Toseland's bike.

·
Registered
698 Posts
I have been saying that Spies will most likely be on a tech-3 (or equivalent) team next year with a full factory spec Yamaha next year.
Are you suggesting that Vale will be gone in 2011? I can't think you mean Lorenzo.

At 160 lbs does anyone think Spies is too heavy to be competitive at MotoGP?

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
Are you suggesting that Vale will be gone in 2011? I can't think you mean Lorenzo.

At 160 lbs does anyone think Spies is too heavy to be competitive at MotoGP?
No, I am saying he will be on a factory spec bike (same thing Lorenzo and Rossi get, just under a different team name). It is the same set-up that Elias has, factory spec bike on a support team.

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
I remember from "Faster and Faster" the riders were saying that there wasn't an ideal body type or weight to ride a GP bike fast.

So, taking the actual riders' word for it one can conclude that at 160lbs Spies isn't too heavy to be competitive.
I was under the impression that the rules are set up so there is a rider/bike (as a package) minimum weight requirement??
Not sure where I heard that... anyone know if its true or what the actual rule is?

Also being that Vale is 5'11 or so I cant imagine him being much lighter than Ben

·
9,757 Posts
I was under the impression that the rules are set up so there is a rider/bike (as a package) minimum weight requirement??
Not sure where I heard that... anyone know if its true or what the actual rule is?

Also being that Vale is 5'11 or so I cant imagine him being much lighter than Ben
I heard Vale is 6'1", but he's skinny as a pick. I don't think that you can do a minimum rider/weight package. IIRC there's a minimum weight for a given number of cylinders and that's it. Then again I might have heard otherwise as well.

Anyone care to do the research?

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Found this... this has to be weights for just the bike. So I guess rider weight isnt taken into account, so on paper I guess a larger rider would be at a disadvantage in the over all power to weight ratio.... Doubt you would ever actually be able to see it in a race though, unless there are some 250lbs guy out there looking to get into moto gp
Weights
Minimum Weight - MotoGP Class Number of
cylinders 2002 Minimum 2007 Minimum Difference
2 135 kg (300 lb) 137 kg (300 lb) 2 kg (4.4 lb)
3 135 kg (300 lb) 140.5 kg (310 lb) 5.5 kg (12 lb)
4 145 kg (320 lb) 148 kg (330 lb) 3 kg (6.6 lb)
5 145 kg (320 lb) 155.5 kg (343 lb) 10.5 kg (23 lb)
6 155 kg (340 lb) 163 kg (360 lb) 8 kg (18 lb)

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
From a Superbikeplanet.com article on KRJR:

http://superbikeplanet.com/2009/Jun/090622kennyrobertsju.htm

Former world champion Nick Hayden will not reveal how much he currently weighs, but it's a safe bet that he's around twenty pounds lighter now than he was in 2002 when he won the AMA Superbike championship. Roberts says that he weighed around 150-160 pounds in his final years in MotoGP.
"If you're over 140 pounds now, you don't have a chance," Roberts Junior contends. "I think Valentino will be one of the last tall, lanky European riders in MotoGP."

·
9,757 Posts
Don't forget about Colin edwards. He's about 5'11".

Troy Bayliss said the 990's were so light and powerful it almost didn't matter how heavy you were. The 800's are probably a different story. I honestly think the 800's are the worst thing to happen to MotoGP. I've been watching all the 990 stuff lately. Now that was racing. Even better than the 500's in some regards.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I met Rossi outside of the Portola Plaza Hotel back in 2005 (first year GP's where back). Looking at him back then I guessed he probably weighed maybe 135-140. He is a pretty frail looking dude in regular clothes.

·
Registered
457 Posts
Simoncelli to San Carlos Gresini honda team next year, so no Yamaha for him.
So I wonder where their current riders will go. I could see Elias go to another series but if DeAngelis doesn't get a MotoGP ride he may well be in Moto2 next year.

·
Registered
207 Posts
Spies is doing some great stuff in WSBK. New bike and new tracks and he still gets good results. I think Ducati should give him a try :) but replacing Toseland seems like the logical thing for Yamaha to do. It seems I heard rumblings of a new rule that states rookies can't ride on factory bikes the first year? It may have been a bad dream...

1 - 20 of 29 Posts