Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I have a some more issue that came up recently:

Transmission shifting getting harder after 2000 Miles.

Key/Lock assembly for my seat latch mysteriously fell off somewhere between here and 300 miles ago.

Left passenger foot peg assembly fell apart and I lost a washers and the lock washer.

But most importantly the Transmission: When I first got the bike I was impressed by the smoothness of the transmission. With a quick and some what firm flick the bike would change gears no problem. But as time goes on the transmission is getting loser and it takes a lot more force than it did to change gears. 1st to 2nd unless I hammer it in 2nd I will slip into neutral with out a neutral light.

This is annoying for 2 reasons: 1. it screws me up while I am riding. 2. when I push it into second after the false neutral the sound is not pretty (metal to metal clank, with a slight crunch.)

Also when riding aggressive or accelerating on the highway I will get a false neutral between 3-4, and 4-5 sometimes. The first time this happened freaked me out big time going about 80 shifting into 5th and nothing, then I pushed it up again and clank, crack into 5th finally.

So I moved the shifter so it points down a bit more to see if this helps. Now I will have to try and bend my foot under the shifter even more than before (not so easy with moto boots). We will see if this helps. I hate the pegs on this bike, never was comfortable on them from the beginning.

Have any of you guys experienced any shifting issues out of the ordinary? Is there anyway to take out the free play on the shifter?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
Ducatis are not known for great transmissions. False neutrals are often a problem. However, what you are describing goes beyond ordinary. (And the other things that you describe - parts falling off - are absolutely not normal.) Is the bike still under warranty? Take it in and have the dealer look at it.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah I am going to take her in, just wanted to get some of the forums thoughts.

Oh, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but is it possible that to much oil in the bike could cause the tranny to shift like poop? I noticed that after my first service the oil is above the sight glass when the bike is upright.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Same bike, glassy smooth shifting. It's one of the things about the bike that I've found to be really impressive.

I've never had anything loosen up or fall off.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
...Oh, not sure if this makes a difference or not, but is it possible that to much oil in the bike could cause the tranny to shift like poop? I noticed that after my first service the oil is above the sight glass when the bike is upright.
Not sure about the shifting, but I do remember reading where putting in too much oil can be bad. Did you mention anything about the oil level when you got the bike back from its service?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Funny, my right passenger peg fell off about a month ago. That reminds me, I need to remind my dealer to have it replaced under warranty.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
This sounds like clutch drag. Have you bled the clutch? Also, check the chain tension when you are sitting on the bike, as adjusting it as per the swinging arm sticker results in no slack when you are on the bike, which is very bad for the transmission. Things falling off points to vibration, which could be caused by throttle synchro, tight chain, failed bearing.......

·
Registered
93 Posts
You have a peace of junk

But don't worry it happens from time to time. Take it back where you bought it and request a new bike under "consumer rights law" and hey presto that bike will be stripped and reassembled within a week.
The only neutrals I experienced were riding beyond what the bike was made for, nothing has ever fallen off or got loose.
Good luck,

·
Registered
164 Posts
I have noticed the false neutrals in the higher gears, like 4-5 or maybe it is 3-4, only when I am driving it hard. It sucks because it kills my mojo! I think it might have something to do with the dirty clutch fluid. My clutch has not been very smooth at all recently. I am going to try some new clutch fluid and a bleed.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Duccout's suggestions are spot-on. A clutch out of adjustment or for any reason not fully disengaging would cause the symptoms you describe. It's possible that as the problem has gotten progressively worse that your efforts to shift could have caused some tranny damage- but it's unlikely. By nature, transmissions are built to handle a lot of stresses, and chances are good that with proper clutch function and release your transmission will go back to being that smooth-shifting piece that you remember.

Also- don't let the dealer try to blame you! Too often adjustment problems that cause other issues can be lumped into the "operator mis-use" category so they don't have to think too hard or take responsibility. Firm but polite and don't take no for an answer is my advice for service dept's.

Good luck, let us know how this sorts out.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I am going to try and drain the clutch fluid and refill it myself. Gonna look online to see if anyone has a tutorial. If anyone knows where i can find the tutorial that would be great.

I guess I will head to the shop and get some DOT4 fluid on the way home.

The clutch does feel a bit mushy (I remember it being much much harder to pull when I first got the bike)

·
Premium Member
224 Posts
Pay very close attention to chain tension. If I get a false neutral, it is usually an indicator that I should readjust the chain tension. I think someone pointed out before to make sure and check the tension with you aboard (so might take two people).

·
Registered
77 Posts
i just hit about 3k on my bike, and have been getting the false neutrals and alot more often shifts from 1-2nd ending up in neutral, and i wear smaller sneakers and i thought it was cause the gear shifter was set too far away making it hard to get a solid shift, but more and more i feel like it's not my fault, i've been giving it a good shift and still be getting the false neutrals. just wanted you to know you aren't alone, i'm experiencing all the same issues with shifting.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is it necessary to have a bleeder tool to bleed brake and clutch fluid's? Thanks

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
No, just a length of clear plastic tube which fits over the bleed nipple and long enough to reach into your receptacle. Bleeding the clutch is a quick job. See if any air bubbles are expelled down the pipe as you bleed it. Its possible that you have a faulty slave cylnder, as this seems to be fairly common.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks JMDUC, not sure if I am going to get to it this weekend, but we will see. If the weather is good on Sunday and I am free of house duties, then maybe we can get to together for a ride. Ill let you know..

·
Registered
300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Just clarify, a loose chain would cause poor shifting or a stiff chain? I have not checked the chain while sitting on the bike but at rest the chain is just about resting on the swing arm chain protector near the front sprocket.

Thanks

1 - 20 of 27 Posts