Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have just installed some 4p4p calipers. The wheels are ST4 five spokes. The rotors are Galfer waves. I previously used this combination with the stock calipers and Moto Wheels spacer kit. That worked well. I was under the assumption that this conversion was a bolt on. The wheel spins but just not as freely as it should. Any ideas?

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I have just installed some 4p4p calipers. The wheels are ST4 five spokes. The rotors are Galfer waves. I previously used this combination with the stock calipers and Moto Wheels spacer kit. That worked well. I was under the assumption that this conversion was a bolt on. The wheel spins but just not as freely as it should. Any ideas?
You need to check and make sure the rotors are centered in the caliper also that the calipers arent draggin on the top of the rotors ....it either is the case some machine work will be in order ....if not could be the waves (I have Braking version on mine) are a bit thicker than stock and that your pads just need a bit of break-in time....if memory serves me correctly that was the case with mine ....

Muzz

·
Premium Member
452 Posts
Could you post or email me a picture from the top of the callipers?

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Have you bleed the brakes yet? If not, could be the pistons sticking out a bit.

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help Guys! I have bled the brakes and even Zip tied the lever overnite to leave the system open to float out any stubborn bubbles which I didn't have. The lever is solid so I'm assuming I bled everything. Guy I sent you some photos. Hope they help. The calipers are centered on the rotor so perhaps Muzzman's idea is correct. Please feel free to offer suggestions. Thanks again every one for the help.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Tackhammer, I had a rotor drag issue when the axle had not been installed correctly. The right hand end of the axle was not flush with the outside of the fork lower. It was about 2mm inside of flush. Made the brakes rub like mad until I worked out what was causing it.

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Thanks for the help Guys! I have bled the brakes and even Zip tied the lever overnite to leave the system open to float out any stubborn bubbles which I didn't have. The lever is solid so I'm assuming I bled everything. Guy I sent you some photos. Hope they help. The calipers are centered on the rotor so perhaps Muzzman's idea is correct. Please feel free to offer suggestions. Thanks again every one for the help.
I stated that assuming you had installed new calipers ..also assuming the pistons were back in the pocket as far as they could go before you started bleeding. Do the drag on both calipers ? If you are not sure you can either take em off start again by making sure the pistons are seating to the bottom of the pocket and that the bore(s) are clean and free of damage..and they are not sticking when they travel ....

Muzz

·
Registered
880 Posts
Are you sure the drag is because of the brakes? Remove the calipers and spin it to check. Assuming the problem is in the brakes, are the pistons retracting properly. i.e can you manually push the pads/piston away from the rotors. A plugged return hole in the master cylinder and/or soft lines will sometimes leave a little pressure in the lines.

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Might want to try the loosen pinch bolts/triples and bounce on it method to make sure the forks aren't slightly twisted too

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
Thanks guys for the help. No time tonite. Will push back the pistons on the calipers and try again.
If the rotors are centered in the calipers things are probably okay, and it may just be that you can never reduce the drag to the level you might like. That has been my experience with the stock calipers and rotors - there is always a fair bit of drag. It seems like it varies bike to bike, but the fact that the wheel won't spin freely over a whole revolution or more does not necessarily indicate a seroius problem.

Of course you want to check everything you reasonably can, but if it all seems in order then I would not obsess over it.

·
Registered
333 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Success!

I pushed the pistons back into the bores, loosened everything up, applied the brakes and tightened. The wheel spins more freely. Thanks Muzz and Guy BFF for the advice. It's great to get help from the Ducati.MS forum!

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
I pushed the pistons back into the bores, loosened everything up, applied the brakes and tightened. The wheel spins more freely. Thanks Muzz and Guy BFF for the advice. It's great to get help from the Ducati.MS forum!
Glad it worked out for you ...what I forgot to mention was while you have them apart it would have been a good idea to take the calipers apart ...with some compressed air pop out the pistons (do this inside a big towel or rag so's you dont have brake fluid and piston flying everywhere) and very gently remove the seals then use some super-fine emery and WD 40 to give the bores a very gentle clean up....then flush them out with brake clean .....before assembling get some new seals and give them fnd the pisttons a little rub with Dot4 ...then put em back together u . If they start sticking\dragging again you might wanna give this a try ....

Muzz

·
Premium Member
1,088 Posts
Glad it worked out for you ...what I forgot to mention was while you have them apart it would have been a good idea to take the calipers apart ...with some compressed air pop out the pistons (do this inside a big towel or rag so's you dont have brake fluid and piston flying everywhere) and very gently remove the seals then use some super-fine emery and WD 40 to give the bores a very gentle clean up....then flush them out with brake clean .....before assembling get some new seals and give them fnd the pisttons a little rub with Dot4 ...then put em back together u . If they start sticking\dragging again you might wanna give this a try ....

Muzz
Where do you get new seals? I've looked into it and it seems like Brembo refuses to sell individual parts to anyone but dealers (who have to sign an agreement not to resell them)

·
Premium Member
1,014 Posts
Where do you get new seals? I've looked into it and it seems like Brembo refuses to sell individual parts to anyone but dealers (who have to sign an agreement not to resell them)
got mine from the dealer if I remember correctly ......I did get one for my rear by buying the complete caliper from Ducati ..which was only $60 :mad: ...that was their "rebuild kit" ....as far as the fronts go I dont remember as it has been many years since I used stock calipers up front ..

Muzz

1 - 15 of 15 Posts