Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone tell me what the rubber grommets are for in the fins on the head and barrel, I’m wondering if I can take them out with out any consequences they don’t look so kool?

vale

Attachments

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
They are there supposedly to keep the ticking noise of the fin metal expanding and cooling from happening.

I have heard that they usually fall out anyway, and that there is no harm to removing them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hi Vale

I've had a few Dukes before and they have always had these, and yes eventually they will harden and typically fall out, i had spares and always replaced them when this occured. My understanding was the are used to reduce the sound of the engine internals as a whole (valve noise etc), guess you'll find out soon enough!.

g.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
They are not just for the heating/cooling ticking - in fact, I don't know if they effect that at all.

Their primary function is to reduce engine noise being radiated off of vibrating fins: to reduce engine noise - especially mechanical noise like valves and such. Thus they contribute to the whole noise control package in meeting noise level regulations. Removing may make those mechanical noises a little more noticeable, especially the higher frequency ones, but will have no effect on how the bike operates.

·
Registered
702 Posts
search for "engine pucks;" a couple of years ago there was an entire thread dedicated to them. And take them out before each bakes and leaves a nasty, ugly circle.

·
Registered
555 Posts
hmmmmm.....not a single one of them on my bike and I bought it from new.....

·
Registered
242 Posts
i pulled mine, the combination of doing that, opening the airbox, and drilling out the cans really went a long way to helping my bike feel like a duc, and not a vehicle from the jetsons.

·
Registered
555 Posts
YUP, it is obscene that a new Ducati sounds like a sewing machine. All owners should consider it their DUTY to make a Ducati sound like a Ducati. :)

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Lunch time

You could have mentioned there was 53 of the bloody things. Wife just called me for lunch and I said I will only be a sec, got to remove a few grommets. Ha Ha, Oh well, cold soup was not that bad after all. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
You could have mentioned there was 53 of the bloody things. Wife just called me for lunch and I said I will only be a sec, got to remove a few grommets. Ha Ha, Oh well, cold soup was not that bad after all. :rolleyes:
So...any difference in the sound?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Rubber pucks

They are inserted to reduce the noise level of the vehicle to meet international regulations.

The pucks reduce the sound levels from harmonics resonating from the cooling fins, caused by engine vibrations, and engine dynamics.

Over the last decade or so, fins have grown shorter, more use of bigger oil coolers to remove heat, and thicker fins have been employed to meet sound level requirements.

Removing the pucks will increase the high frequency noise levels.

Best wishes,
Dick

·
Registered
724 Posts
Yeah, I've found 2 or 3 on the floor next to the bike.... I am planning on removing them eventually. Just wondering on the sound difference.:cool:

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Not yet.

Hey,Air cooled nut. Took the Duke for it's first spin after taking out the grommets. Only rode for about 30 minutes and mainly around town up to about 100kph and I could not notice any difference in sound. Still glad I took them out though :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts