Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quicky, the rubber blocks inbetween the cooling fins, leave I place or remove and WTF are they there for anyway??

Sent thundering through my Termis!

·
Premium Member
12,280 Posts
Sound deadening???
No Biggy if there or not...
"Problem" posted before, I Think..

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's one hell of a surface area increase. Maybe now it'll run a bit cooler in summer.
That's a bit over 2 x 50gram rollie packets just on one side. Each rubber is 18mm diameter, that's 2.54cm2 x 80 I pulled out making it 203cm2 of increased fin area.... each side!!

Attachments

·
Registered
483 Posts
That's one hell of a surface area increase. Maybe now it'll run a bit cooler in summer.
That's a bit over 2 x 50gram rollie packets just on one side. Each rubber is 18mm diameter, that's 2.54cm2 x 80 I pulled out making it 203cm2 of increased fin area.... each side!!
They also add unnecessary weight. Removing these is a lot cheaper than buying a bunch of titanium bits.

(photo is of New Blue at Barber Museum)

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts

Let us know the result (runs cooler, sounds louder, etc.). I've been considering doing this as well. I'm not really worried about the sound (I run open Termis) just the temp/weight benefit, if any.

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
They were put there after many hours of careful wind tunnel time. Their purpose is to induce a carefully controlled turbulence which decreases surface effects, thus overcoming what advanced studies in thermo dynamics refer to poliagonol wind triosis. (see the article Surface Adjacency Effects as Demonstrated on Semi-Porous Alloys and Striated Frog Tissue in the Summer 2007 Edition of the SASFE [Society for Approximated Studies in Ferile Engineering])

That is why I removed mine.

-don

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
Ha! So in layman's terms...they don't do anything. Except maybe to satisfy some Euro/DOT noise requirement?

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Half mine fell out. The rest I removed ASAP. I don't care what they do, they look ridiculous. ... Put them all in the round file.

·
Premium Member
856 Posts
The rubbers atop the horizontal fins deep in the "V" are a bitch to get to. Got 2 or 3 still to get. Waiting for my patients to come back. :)

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
They were put there after many hours of careful wind tunnel time. Their purpose is to induce a carefully controlled turbulence which decreases surface effects, thus overcoming what advanced studies in thermo dynamics refer to poliagonol wind triosis. (see the article Surface Adjacency Effects as Demonstrated on Semi-Porous Alloys and Striated Frog Tissue in the Summer 2007 Edition of the SASFE [Society for Approximated Studies in Ferile Engineering])

That is why I removed mine.

-don
I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not in the first paragraph...because it does sound interesting to me (until the frog tissue bit) :think:

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But he forgot about the intermolecular post inductive positive subtraction integer coital anomaly!!

·
Premium Member
451 Posts
My only concern is why NCR doesn't pull them? I mean when you spend qaudrupple the original price of a bike for a racing version, why wouldn't they pull these for weight savings alone if they didn't do something?

However, on the other hand, the NCR does retain some other parts like the stock battery box that I would figure would be cheap to eliminate when your already using a custom wiring harness (add small battery, throw out box).

·
Registered
56 Posts
The rubber inserts are there to reduce vibration in the cooling fins. If you remove them, the fins will work harden, crack and eventually break off. This of course will result in even greater weight savings. I'll be pulling mine out tomorrow

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
I honestly can't tell if you're serious or not in the first paragraph...because it does sound interesting to me (until the frog tissue bit) :think:
My answer was meant to be both. The idea that cooling will automatically increase with enlarged surface area is iffy because of the effects of turbulence on laminar flow and this heat transfer. But in truth I doubt any of that was actually wind-tunnel tested. "Ringing" of the fins used up some of the legally acceptable db and the pucks were likely seen as a quick, cheap and easy solution.

I removed mine.

:)

-don

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
It's the minor turbulence that increases the cooling efficiency by increasing the latency it's in contact with the fins. However removing the surface area available by using thermally non conductable materials as a turbulence increaser won't aid or increase heat transfer.
A more sensible bay would be to add more vertical vanes as per the what you see on the RH side of the rear cylinder fins at the deck face.

·
Registered
483 Posts
My only concern is why NCR doesn't pull them? I mean when you spend qaudrupple the original price of a bike for a racing version, why wouldn't they pull these for weight savings alone if they didn't do something?

However, on the other hand, the NCR does retain some other parts like the stock battery box that I would figure would be cheap to eliminate when your already using a custom wiring harness (add small battery, throw out box).
yeah.. I wondered that too, and stood there at the Barber museum pondering it. It's hard to find an inch of New Blue that doesn't have some weight saving part made from unobtanium, yet they left at least half a pound of those little rubber pucks stuck between the fins. We all know they did a lot to the internals of the engine so it was touched by a lot of people who know what they're doing. My best guess was that since it was a production motorcycle and sold for the street it had to meet the same noise requirements as the standard PS1000. But is has those big, loud zards on it. hmm..

I pulled the pucks out of my ps1000 years ago.. I didn't notice it running any cooler, but it did seem to make a tiny bit more of that wonderful engine music.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts