Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 2 years of having my Ducati 998S, finally had the opportunity to bring her to the Shanghai F-1 Circuit for 2 days of track riding. Lucky as we were, we spend 2 days with perfect weather, perfect temperatures and of course the amazing and scarring fast track.

However, a small problem I had developed on Sunday-afternoon into a break down. Before I start to strip the bike further down, I want to see if someone can give some additional advise on this.

From the beginning the bike always had a glitch at 9.000 rpm, cutting out for 1/10 of a second, then continuing till red-line, or do it again. The rev-gauge makes a big drop, then goes up again. It seems to happen only in the upper gears (3 or 4 and up).
This went on during the weekend, and most of time I short shifted below 9.000 rpm to prevent it happening.

However, during the last session, the bike all of a sudden lost power, and I aborted the ride. The bike still ran but idled roughly and revving up was impossible. The battery is full and holds out under load, and there seem no other direct issues (like cables etc) from a quick visual inspection.

I have read before several treads on this problem, and read on:
1. shimming a pick-up
2. a EV (?) sensor breaking down or full with water
3. grounding problems with the ECU.

Is there anyone who can give me some additional advise on these matters?
Is the pick up sensor the one behind the water hose, on the alternator housing?
Is above the right start of solving (considering the problem), or should I check other things first?

Appreciate any advise.

Eric

·
Registered
236 Posts
I had a similar problem.

It was moisture in the pick-up sensor's quick connector rubber boot.

Nothing wrong with the sensor itself, just have a look around the quick connector on the cable.

Nice bike!

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I had a similar problem.
It was moisture in the pick-up sensor's quick connector rubber boot.
Nothing wrong with the sensor itself, just have a look around the quick connector on the cable.
Nice bike!
You mean the 9.000rpm cut off was solved after cleaning out the connector?
I checked mine, but seems no water or moisture inside.

I got this cut off problem only in higher gears, same for you too?

·
Registered
236 Posts
You mean the 9.000rpm cut off was solved after cleaning out the connector?
I checked mine, but seems no water or moisture inside.

I got this cut off problem only in higher gears, same for you too?
That's right, I got water in it during a wet race.

I noticed it in 3rd gear and up. I don't rev 1 or 2nd over 9k that often.

We also reproduced it on the dyno and couldn't figure out what it as. We swapped ECU etc nothing worked until someone checked and the pick up sensor connectors.

I don't see how the selected gear could affect the pick up sensor thou...?

Weird, I know... I'm not sure if this helps at all.

Do you have the VDST software or the dealer's Mathesis. Try to error check the sensors.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We also reproduced it on the dyno and couldn't figure out what it as. We swapped ECU etc nothing worked until someone checked and the pick up sensor connectors.
I don't see how the selected gear could affect the pick up sensor thou...?
Weird, I know... I'm not sure if this helps at all.
Do you have the VDST software or the dealer's Mathesis. Try to error check the sensors.
Well, bikes >125cc are illegal, and we don't have dealers here in China .... On my own without the VDST software. I followed your advise, cleaned all connectors of the bike, sprayed them with contact spray. Also cleaned the tank and replaced the filter, and did an extra preyer.

The bike is running fine again (guess the total cut off was fuel related and not caused by the sensor / connector) but need an other track day to see if the 9.000 rpm problem disappeared. Roads in China are way too dangerous for fast riding.

Thanks for help!

Eric

·
Registered
535 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

I finally had time to tear things apart (after cleaning the connectors did not solve the problem) and found the sensor was gapped at 1.1mm, where the manual specifies 0.65~0.7mm.

I did not run the engine after re-gapping buy I guess the problem is solved.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts