Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to be heading North from Lake Tahoe on highway 89 towards Lassen. Then a left turn to the coast. Curious if anyone can say which is a nicer ride between rte 299 or 36. I will then take another left and head to Monterey/Carmel.

My guess is 299 is a bit longer and more scenic.

Any input is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
Have been on both more than a few times. Highway 36 by far is much more of a riders road. Especially the first part from I-5 up to Highway 3. Its like a roller coaster and much fun. After 3, it is constant turns for many a mile. It is also much less travelled than 299.
299 is the main road from Redding to Eureka so you will find traffic and trucks. 36 is desolate and so many turns the trucks stay away unless absolutely necessary.

Mike

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
Have been on both more than a few times. Highway 36 by far is much more of a riders road. Especially the first part from I-5 up to Highway 3. Its like a roller coaster and much fun. After 3, it is constant turns for many a mile. It is also much less travelled than 299.
299 is the main road from Redding to Eureka so you will find traffic and trucks. 36 is desolate and so many turns the trucks stay away unless absolutely necessary.

Mike
There can be large trucks on Hwy. 36 west of Hwy. 3. During our Spring Break ride to Weaverville, Mark Turbo was unfortunate enough to get behind two multi-trailer semis hauling cattle on that stretch. He was dodging patches of brown ice until he was able to pass them.

You must also watch out for logging trucks, especially on the very narrow, one lane portion west of the coastal summit. I still recommend Hwy. 36 over 299 unless it is late in the day. I don't think you would want to get caught on 36 west of 3 after dark.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info. I will hit 36. Curious how long it takes from Redding to the coast?

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
you might want to scan through the pashnit.com site, LOTS of great info there on this area.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Highway 36 is a great road. I think it is about 140 plus miles so figure about 3 to 4 hours with some stops. A little furthur north is highway 96 which I think is a little bit better. Leaves from Yreka I think and heads west along the Klamath river. Also about 145 miles. Great road and little chp.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
you will at some time in your life need to do both roads, that being said, my vote is also for 36. much less traffic at any time. gas stops are limited, so be sure to fill up in Red Bluff. you may also want to get a photo of your bike at "the sign" just a short way after you cross the RR tracks leaving Red Bluff. while logging can and does go on year round, usually cattle are moved in spring and fall. of course no promises they won't be trucking when you ride.

what is your route after you hit the coast? doing the lost coast out of Ferndale is a great addition to any coast ride.

Attachments

·
Registered
138 Posts
36 is great outside of Red Bluff (after the cool sign!). As you near the Humbolt area when the road seems like 1 lane take it easy, not only is it narrow but the pavement can be horrible for a stretch, not something you will want to be going even mildly hot into. I hit a big pothole right in the apex, popped me out of my seat and scared the snot out of me.

·
Registered
139 Posts

I would also recommend 36. Give yourself plenty of time, the ride is great. I would also recommend a short detour up 3 north for about 5 miles, then turn around and ride it back to 36. That small stretch of 3 was the best road I was on on my Nor Cal trip. Almost 4 lanes wide (but a two lane road). I was dragging pipes and crap all over that thing. when you get back to 36, head west and stop at Mad River for a burger... a lot of fun. As you get closer to the coast on 36 you get a nice run through the Redwoods...

Have a blast,

Randy

Attachments

·
I yam what I yam
989 Posts
Multiple dittos for the hwy 36 recommendation. But when you turn left to head for Monterey, you ARE going to take hwy 1 from Leggett to the coast aren't you? This is another epic motorcycle road, and not to be missed. However, there WILL be log trucks on this one.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
36 ROCKS, period.... Unfortunately, I didn't have time to to linger. I got a late start, left Truckee at 2pm and got out of the valley just before dark. Kinda pushed the daylight a bit, many deer at the end-not cool. Got to Fortuna around 7pm.

But, I was in a bind. My bike, as I"ve posted is having issues...

First, about 3/4 the way through 36, the rear brake started to drag heavily and the pedal went dead. Screwed around with that for 1/2 hour. Somehow managed to get the pads off the rotors and was on my way, minus a rear brake for the most part. Then, on my next stop for gas, my bike was iffy on starting. So I made it to a hotel for the night in Fortuna. Had the battery tender stuff with me and parked near the pepsi machine at the best western. Started fine in the AM. First stop though it was week to start. So, sadly I hit 101 and hauled ass to San Francisco instead of taking 1. My bike is now at desmotto sports on 9th.

Started with a Ducati and wound up with a Kia. Not so sure I did okay on that one. But, had to rent the car to continue on the family visit in Carmel. Bike should be ready Monday/Tuesday... BUMMER for sure as I was looking forward to some side trips further south from here and then onto Yosemite, etc... Depending on timing I may head back the way I came from so I can actually enjoy the scenery and hit HWY 1 all the way. When I lived in San Francisco I rode that route often, and love it. But not always as far up as the redwoods.

I could barely stop on the way down as I was sitting on a ticking time bomb. Seems my starter has had it. It's being replaced/rebuilt along with my brakes being checked. They are also going to install heavier gauge wiring. I HOPE that this is the end of my ST issues(insert laughter). In the month and 2,000 miles I've ridden this bike I've been riddled with more issues than all the other bikes I've owned combined-HANDS DOWN, and this is my 12th...

Let's see... New tires, new chain, new belts/timing, TWO stalls on the highway due to electrical issues, now the starter and brake issues. Oh, and a new clutch cylinder to be installed next week due to it leaking.

All this and I can't wait to hit 36 again!

That road is awesome. Whomever mentioned the rough pavement was indeed correct. Also, there are parts that are basically down to one lane with sharp corners. I'm not that aggressive of a rider but I still managed to lift the front tire on one of the rollers. I could see how someone could catch air if they were so inclined.

All issues aside, I still had a great ride and made the best of it. Though, today was rough. I woke at 5. On the road from Fortuna to SF by 11:15. Not exactly much time to stop and smell the roses. I was afraid to stop anywhere that didn't have an outlet, incase the tender was needed....

Fingers crossed that next week goes smoother, and the Kia rental is over with sooner than later. And I hope that I can break up my rides and not tackle that entire journey in only two days. Would be a nice one to do in 3 or even four and be able to check things out.

·
Still needs a life.
12,619 Posts
And I hope that I can break up my rides and not tackle that entire journey in only two days. Would be a nice one to do in 3 or even four and be able to check things out.
Weaverville is a great place to spend a few days to ride Hwys 3, 36, and 299 without having to rush things.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts