Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using RouteConverter to make my custom GPS routes which I then transfer to the CoPilot app on my phone. Recently, it's been announced that the developer is going to end support for the online version of the program and I've had nothing but trouble trying to get the offline version to work. It crashes on my system all the time.

Apparently, Google has determined that RouteConverter makes too many Google Maps requests to remain free. This sucks because it was so easy to use and could save files in just about any GPS format. The program was a labor-of-love for the developer; it's donation-ware and he wasn't making much money off of it apparently. Hence, no payments to Google and most likely soon-to-be no more RouteConverter.

So, before this turns into a novel, I've found ITN Converter which also operates on Google Maps' base maps. It too can save files in a myriad of file types which is perfect for CoPilot's .trp format. BTW, I use CoPilot because its maps are stored locally and I don't need cell phone coverage. It just uses the GPS which is necessary when riding in the mountains. It also has a customizable Motorcycle vehicle profile.

Did I mention that everything's free? Well, ITN Converter is donation-ware and CoPilot has some optional upgrades, but I'm all-in for only a few dollars. Beats buying a Garmin for hundreds. :)

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
I just use google maps to figure out route, main stopping points, etc.
Have never used a GPS on the bike. Don't think there is any way to send a route file to my TomTom that I use in the car. My phone is also an 8" tablet and a bit large to put on the handlebars. 0:)

In summary. No help here. Maybe I should update my stuff. :confused:

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I like to pick my way through off-the-beaten-path roads when I'm out for a fun ride from point A to point B. If I followed the standard routing from Google or other services, I'd be on the boring main roads most of the time. Plus, they only allow limited via-points. You typically need lots of via-points to get a custom route to go exactly where you want it to. I like making my own routes ahead of time and having CoPilot give me turn-by-turn navigation through my Sena communicator.

I used to try remembering the general idea of what I was supposed to do, but I got tired of taking wrong turns and having to figure out how to get back on track. I've been riding with some sort of GPS for over 15 years now. Can't imagine not riding with one. CoPilot does have one drawback, though. It doesn't make a Track file so you can't look back at your route if you decide to just go exploring for the day.

·
Premium Member
1,766 Posts
I tried this exact method (Route Converter to .trp then uploading to CoPilot).

Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I would create a route and it would basically creates a whole bunch of waypoints along that route. I found that if I didn't hit each and every waypoint exactly, it would always try to route me back to the waypoint I missed, even if I had advanced way past it. Since then I abandoned this method.

BTW, thx for the heads up. Route converter was awesome, just never got it to work as expected w/ CoPilot

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Maybe I was doing it wrong, but I would create a route and it would basically creates a whole bunch of waypoints along that route. I found that if I didn't hit each and every waypoint exactly, it would always try to route me back to the waypoint I missed, even if I had advanced way past it. Since then I abandoned this method.
Good point. CoPilot isn't smart enough to keep you going to the next point if you go past one without hitting it. It wants to make sure you get to each one on the list. I've developed a strategy for placing the waypoints when making routes that pretty much eliminates the problem as long as you don't go wandering off. But the Garmin was the same, IIRC. I think. It was a long time ago.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
I downloaded ITN Converter and made a route on my computer. I've converted it to a Copilot 10 file and connected the iPhone. The file looks like it transferred but I can get CoPilot to find the file. I can't seem to figure this out...and I haven't had any Scotch yet.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
...and I haven't had any Scotch yet.
After the 4th whiskey I heard it whisper,
Now's the time to tell them what you really think! :laugh:

Google maps will not allow me to make a route from Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining via route 120. It insists I go a long way around to the north. OK Google, I know this road works, not right now it is doubtless under feet of snow. But June damn you! Just show me the mileage! Bass turds. :think:

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I downloaded ITN Converter and made a route on my computer. I've converted it to a Copilot 10 file and connected the iPhone. The file looks like it transferred but I can get CoPilot to find the file. I can't seem to figure this out...and I haven't had any Scotch yet.
I don't know the particulars for an iPhone 'cause I'm using Android. But on my phone you have to transfer the file to a folder on the phone called com.alk.copilot.mapviewer/NA/save. That's the location for saved routes. Then CoPilot can see it. Yours has got to be similar.

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After the 4th whiskey I heard it whisper,
Now's the time to tell them what you really think! :laugh:

Google maps will not allow me to make a route from Yosemite Valley to Lee Vining via route 120. It insists I go a long way around to the north. OK Google, I know this road works, not right now it is doubtless under feet of snow. But June damn you! Just show me the mileage! Bass turds. :think:
Is the road closed in the winter? Google knows this about roads. We have a local seasonal road and you can't map it when it's closed.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I like to pick my way through off-the-beaten-path roads when I'm out for a fun ride from point A to point B. If I followed the standard routing from Google or other services, I'd be on the boring main roads most of the time. Plus, they only allow limited via-points. You typically need lots of via-points to get a custom route to go exactly where you want it to. I like making my own routes ahead of time and having CoPilot give me turn-by-turn navigation through my Sena communicator.

I used to try remembering the general idea of what I was supposed to do, but I got tired of taking wrong turns and having to figure out how to get back on track. I've been riding with some sort of GPS for over 15 years now. Can't imagine not riding with one. CoPilot does have one drawback, though. It doesn't make a Track file so you can't look back at your route if you decide to just go exploring for the day.
I've found that if you ask Google for a bicycle route as opposed to an automobile route, it comes up with a route much closer to how I would want to ride.

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That would be fine if Google allowed for offline routing over a large area. I lose cell coverage all the time in the hills around here and Google becomes useless.

·
Super Moderator
4,900 Posts
I've got my answer:

Dear Copilot Users:

Apple has changed security settings since iOS 8.3 that prevent file managers and transfer utilities such as iFunBox, iTools, iExplorer, iBackupBot and PhoneView from gaining access to app directories on an iPhone, iPad or iPod touch. Therefore at the moment, there is no way to access the Copilot directory on your IOS devices.

Regards

·
Retired Pipe Polisher C2H6O+
18,844 Posts
No way. I'm totally dependent on it. When I have one of my Alzheimer's CRS attacks I just tell it to take me home. Curvy roads please. :)

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Effing Google! Arg! I want to punch them in the mouth.

Two days ago, apparently, they changed a policy and now ITN Converter has had to remove Google Maps as an option from the mapping program. All my maps were created using Google base maps and now none of them work in ITN anymore. I'm going to have to recreate everything that isn't already transferred to my phone using OpenStreetMap. What a PITA unless it's just a fluke and a reboot will help. Guess I'll find out soon.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Ever feel like computers used to be fun, but lately they are more of a big PITA?
I do. :think:

Overdue answer about Tioga Pass @ Yosemite.
Yes, it is always closed in winter due to being under many feet of snow.
Damn you google!

·
9,186 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Damn. Reboot didn't help. Maybe I"ll try reinstalling the program.

Is anyone else having problems with ITNConv?
Double damn. Nothing is working. I'm hoping it's a system issue and not just me. Maybe the developer is working on a fix. The ITNConv forum is in French and the announcement was made a couple days ago about the evil google, but that's it for now. No other updates. Hopefully something soon.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts