Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, apparently the previous owner enjoyed winter and rain riding, since the clutch bolts were all corroded. Today I wanted to get them out and replace them with new black zinc coated ones. 2 came out absolutely hassle free, the other 2 were rounded by the previous owner, but I was able to extract them using a torx screwbit. The last one however is giving me headaches. tried 2 different sized torx, smacked them in with a hammer to get a tight fit but it won't work, it's really rounded. There is no room around the spring collar to put a vice grip on it. Tried using the vice on the collar and turning it, but that just made grooves on the collar( yes, I put an old t-shirt between it).

I don't know what else I can do to remove this bolt, it's such a pain in the ass. Anyone got ideas on how to remove it?

·
Registered
72 Posts
If all else fails drill the head off. Just use a bit that's a C hair larger then the thread and drill straight on till the head of the bolt falls off. Once it's out and the the pressure plate is out of the way you can get some vise grips on the bolt shaft to back it out

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hadn't actually considered that, but it sounds like a good idea. If I can get the spring and spring collar out of the way, I would be able to vise it probably.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was going well, only needed to drill a little bit more, then my drill exploded( with smoke and a "pop"), so now it's off to the shop lol :eek:

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
And the shop I went to couldn't get it out. He told me to Dremel off the spring cap. This would be a good excuse to finally get rid of those tacky gold caps :D

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Dremel a slot in the top of it and use an impact driver. ;)
I'm worried though that the impact wrench will destroy the clutch spring tabs. These things are very delicate, an impact wrench is not :p

also, I don't think I have enough "flesh" left to put much force on.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Dremel a notch in the head, then stick a flat head screwdriver in that notch a knock it with a hammer

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
26 Posts
Well, apparently the previous owner enjoyed winter and rain riding, since the clutch bolts were all corroded. Today I wanted to get them out and replace them with new black zinc coated ones. 2 came out absolutely hassle free, the other 2 were rounded by the previous owner, but I was able to extract them using a torx screwbit. The last one however is giving me headaches. tried 2 different sized torx, smacked them in with a hammer to get a tight fit but it won't work, it's really rounded. There is no room around the spring collar to put a vice grip on it. Tried using the vice on the collar and turning it, but that just made grooves on the collar( yes, I put an old t-shirt between it).

I don't know what else I can do to remove this bolt, it's such a pain in the ass. Anyone got ideas on how to remove it?
Try heating the bolt red hot and give her a go... Have had good luck with heat and sticky bolts.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Not sure how much of the head you have left at this point but these have worked for me in the past:

It is an ezyout. Stake a hole with a centre punch into the middle of the remaining stud and carefully drill down the centre. Use the ezyout to remove the rest of the bolt. Problem you may encounter is that as these bolts are a narrow diameter and you may have difficulty keeping a drill centre when drilling through or snapping the drill bit if you apply too much pressure. Also run the risk of snapping the ezyout in the remainder of the bolt due to the small diameter of the original hex bolt if it is really stuck into e basket. Not wanting to be negative, just know the hassles of trying to extract stuck small diameter bolts. Might be a good excuse to find a new clutch basket on flea-bay, at least this will reduce some of the clutch rattle from the plates. ;-)

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
rusty hex heads

Me, i replaced them with Stainless steel and anti seize

The go would be titanium not cheap but no rust.
hex is tuffer than torx and easier to tension down

Not to much anti seize
shanetbird

·
Premium Member
329 Posts
It is an ezyout. Stake a hole with a centre punch into the middle of the remaining stud and carefully drill down the centre. Use the ezyout to remove the rest of the bolt. Problem you may encounter is that as these bolts are a narrow diameter and you may have difficulty keeping a drill centre when drilling through or snapping the drill bit if you apply too much pressure. Also run the risk of snapping the ezyout in the remainder of the bolt due to the small diameter of the original hex bolt if it is really stuck into e basket. Not wanting to be negative, just know the hassles of trying to extract stuck small diameter bolts. Might be a good excuse to find a new clutch basket on flea-bay, at least this will reduce some of the clutch rattle from the plates. ;-)
Easy outs are very risky if its been over tightened ,and she brakes, no drill will get it out
You can also get a type of expandable spline type fitting much stronger

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Me, i replaced them with Stainless steel and anti seize

The go would be titanium not cheap but no rust.
hex is tuffer than torx and easier to tension down

Not to much anti seize
shanetbird
Even though stainless steel doesn't rust, it does corrode with aluminium and is probably the reason why they got stuck in the first place. Ducati uses zinc plated bolts as stock, so I got some black zinc plated bolts ( don't look too shabby). Don't use any anti-seize since they only need 9nm of torque to stay in place(als, spring tension will ensure they won't move much anyway).

Haven't looked at it these days, but yeah, I'll need to figure out something. First though, I'll need to order some new spring caps.

·
Registered
759 Posts
titanium will corrode with aluminum too.

·
Registered
756 Posts
Even though stainless steel doesn't rust, it does corrode with aluminium and is probably the reason why they got stuck in the first place. Ducati uses zinc plated bolts as stock, so I got some black zinc plated bolts ( don't look too shabby). Don't use any anti-seize since they only need 9nm of torque to stay in place(als, spring tension will ensure they won't move much anyway).

Haven't looked at it these days, but yeah, I'll need to figure out something. First though, I'll need to order some new spring caps.
5NM! Mine broke off at 8 :eek:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.