Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok this is the problem. the idle is weak low. spark plugs seem ok, but bike doesn't seem to be getting enough gas. i let it warm up. but idles really rough low. and will occasionally stall. could it be bad gas? fuel filter? please help.

·
Bobaganoosh
2,048 Posts
monstergirl said:
ok this is the problem. the idle is weak low. spark plugs seem ok, but bike doesn't seem to be getting enough gas. i let it warm up. but idles really rough low. and will occasionally stall. could it be bad gas? fuel filter? please help.
1- Spark Plugs - They can seem ok, how about the wires and coil? if you have some mileage on the bike and its been a while since they were changed I would get new plugs and wires.

2 - Gas - Have you checked all your fuel lines, make sure they are not pinched, not leaking, good overall visual inspection? Again how many miles and when was the filter last changed? If the bike has been sitting all winter with a full tank of gas, it will go bad, gasoline will only last sitting for a month or two at most. Look inside the tank and around the fuel cap. See any rust? Rust can buildup and cause obstructions to fuel pumps, lines and injectors.

Now a lot of fuel problems can be fixed with a simple method of a fresh tank of gas and some wide open throttle. Especially if the bike has been sitting for a while.

Other causes that have to have a dealer or someone experienced check. TPS (throttle position sensor), Coil, Voltage regulator/rectifier

Engines are like human bodies, they need 3 things to operate, Air/fuel/Electricity, work though a process of deduction, starting with the easiest, fuel.

Hope that helps

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What rpm is it idling at? If the idle is set too low that will make it rough and not enough power when you let out the clutch.

·
Registered
403 Posts
monstergirl said:
A lot of things can be causing your problems. I am sure you dont want to hear that. Do you do any work on your bike or do you have a friend that does and you can ask them? It can be that you need to raise the idle - but there are things to watch for when attempting to do this. The battery can cause a LOT of weird issues - is your battery ok? What about your fuel filter and the internal fuel lines?

You may be well served by a tune up at your local dealer. The issue sounds simple and something that a tuneup or an inspection of the fuel system can solve.

Dave Harhay

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
a tune up for sure

it is time for a tune up. i just want to be able to better understand this machine that i enter into a life or death contract with everytime i ride it. thanks for the posts peops. it gives me a lot to consider.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
1. Am I missing something ? Is the bike a carby bike or injected ? How many miles ? Please advise as to model and year, ya know ?

2. Checked out your website and found it perfectly wonderful ! Have sent friends to it looking for inspiration.

b.

monstergirl said:
it is time for a tune up. i just want to be able to better understand this machine that i enter into a life or death contract with everytime i ride it. thanks for the posts peops. it gives me a lot to consider.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thank you

hey thanks bevel. for everybody, my bike is a 2005monster620. 3000 miles on it (i bought it in august) it was warm in my dining room all winter. but i did not take the fluids out. is it bad to ride with the idle pushed a little? it idles naturally under 1k rpm. seems and feels too low. so i push the idle to 1000 even andit runs well. i am a humble student.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts