Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've a question about my ducati 999 2003.

I own for 2 years and the bikes feels not smooth at 3000rpm when cruising.
It irritates me, and tried to find the cause.

So i tried i few things and have some questions:
I serviced her with new oil, clean filters, new ''normal'' ngk spark plugs ngk cr9eb (old ones were cr9iex iridium) and gapped them to 0.7mm
Using ron 98 fuel always.
Tried a can of forte moto1 injector cleaner, but i could not feel any differences.

So i took a step further and synchronized the throttle boddies and checked the valve clearances and timing. All seems to be ok.
Bought some good second hand new type coils, and checked resistance. (12 ohm)
I checked the cap between the cps sensor and the flywheel. It was set to 0.6mm. According the manual the gap should be between 0.75mm and 0.95mm.

Could this be the problem?

Ive searched on the internet, and to less or to much gap result in misfire.
Above 5000 the bikes runs fine. What are your experiences with the air gap distance of this sensor?

I'am not an expert, hope someone give me some good tips.

Thanks for advice.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
Change your gearing.

Reactions: ducvet

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
wow good advice, but in heavy traffic its not working.

·
Come in Spinner :)
8,391 Posts
Well it won't on stock gearing.
You need to be at around 4000rpm

·
Registered
7,426 Posts
Change the gearing. Don’t ride at 3000 rpm.

·
Premium Member
5,455 Posts
If it makes you feel better it used to be 4000rpm so the fact you can ride at 3000 is an improvement. Traffic on a Ducati is never going to be fun add in the dry clutch, engine heat from sitting above an exhaust pine and gearing not designed to go slow and you can have them. Either buy a Motard, scooter or Harley (the fancy scooter) and your ride should get better.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for advise
So i tried tonight to set the cps gap to 0.8mm and it feels better but not perfect.
So i tried to set the co with guzzidiag to +25 but, that was way to much. It ran very smooth at 3000rpm and above, but when i closed the throttle the bike didn't de-accelerate fast enough for my feelings. So i tryed +15 and the bike runs so much better now!

Still think its misfiring sometimes.
My plan is to buy a gunson g4125 to check the co. This tool cost €160 euro and worth a try i think.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
Downshift...
If you wanted a 2000rpm bike, you bought the wrong brand. Try Moto Guzzi.
DUCs are meant to be ridden with a "happy right wrist".
Not to mention, YOU HAVE A SUPERBIKE !!!

Strange coincidence? There was another gent from Netherlands that was complaining about the same thing...maybe on an ST2 or Monster...

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
what fucking rot. it should to able to run just fine at 3,000rpm. even lower.

do a tps baseline, as a euro 999 it'll have 749 throttle bodies. didn't make a big difference to the non s, but its worth doing.

the closing clearances can make a big difference to the way they run around this rpm too.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks bradblack

Yes i do ride fast with the bike no worries about that. But are you guys always go on full throttle?i think not.
Bike is running fine but it was the 3000-4000rpm what was not smooth enough for me. I know it can, my 750ss drives smoother than my 999.

I think the bike is running better now, i will checked the valve clearances ones again (last time was 4000km ago).

·
Registered
125 Posts
It's just some Italian character!
I'm just kidding.

Do a custom fuel map, and it will be silky smooth down to 2k. maybe even lower.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts