Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
outrider; Any body know where I can find after market rotors for my St3sabs? I bought the bike new july 08 ,after putting on the first 3,000 miles I complained to the dealer about the front brakes .Every time I took it in for service the noise was still there,and ever time they would clean them and send me on my way!At the 7,500 mile service I bitched so much they replaced the front pads.That didn't last long.Now with 11,000 on it the front rotors are warped ?I own 5 other bikes and never had to replace the front rotors so soon.The dealer contacted Ducati which said sorry its a wear item,but for $1200 they would be happy to sell me new rotors and pads!Why would I want to put the same shit back on it!!!! Sorry for the rant,has any body else had the same problem?

·
Administrator
12,310 Posts
Here is a wide selection:
ST Brake Rotors

I am moving this thread to the Sport Touring Forum BTW.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
There are a lot of threads about the rotor problems on here (pulsing , noise , warping) and the result seems to show that very few cases come from warped discs.
It may be an idea to change pad type after cleaning the discs.
Before doing this have a search for some pretty comprehensive discussion on the subject and tips of what to do.
$ 1200 does seem an awful lot of money , FYG a full set of front discs and pads from Galfer in the UK can be had for approx PS 400 so sure you can obtain similar in the USA
Good Luck

·
Registered
84 Posts
Based on the experiences of many Ducatisti on several forums, I agree with Gearbox: You discs are probably just fine. Pulsing on these discs are likely due to the semi-floating discs not floating enough. Some serious attention to the buttons and carriers with compressed air and some solvent will probably eliminate your problem. Unfortunately, this painstaking process is one that the shop will find unprofitable! Perfect for a rainy day, however!

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
There are a lot of threads about the rotor problems on here (pulsing , noise , warping) and the result seems to show that very few cases come from warped discs.
It may be an idea to change pad type after cleaning the discs.
Before doing this have a search for some pretty comprehensive discussion on the subject and tips of what to do.
$ 1200 does seem an awful lot of money , FYG a full set of front discs and pads from Galfer in the UK can be had for approx PS 400 so sure you can obtain similar in the USA
Good Luck
Gearbox;573126]Thanks for the reply,I spent several hours looking on Galfer& several other manufactures web sites ,but found no replacement for abs model! Also spoke to my ducati dealer this morning they called brembo directly and were told there are no replacement rotors for the abs model other than the stock Ducati rotors!Maybe Galfer offers an abs rotor in the
uk,but I'am unable to find one in the us.

·
Administrator
12,310 Posts
Are you sure the ABS rotors are different then the non ABS rotors?

·
Registered
523 Posts
The parts manuals show different part numbers for the ST3 and the ST3SABS models. See below. This is from the parts manuals downloaded from ducati.com 2007 parts manuals.

2005 ST3 Front Rotor: 492.4.024.1A
2007 ST3 Front Rotor: 492.4.024.1A
2007 ST3SABS Front Rotors: 492.4.079.1A (right) and 492.4.081.1A (left)

Bill W.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The parts manuals show different part numbers for the ST3 and the ST3SABS models. See below. This is from the parts manuals downloaded from ducati.com 2007 parts manuals.

2005 ST3 Front Rotor: 492.4.024.1A
2007 ST3 Front Rotor: 492.4.024.1A
2007 ST3SABS Front Rotor: 492.4.079.1A

Bill W.
ducbill;Thanks for the info!The left is also a different part # from the right and more expensive because the left disk has the sensor ring for the abs.

·
Administrator
12,310 Posts
I couldn't hurt to call Martin and ask if he can get them at a good price.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Only difference with ABS rotors are the holes to mount the ABS ring...oh and the part number!
Mine are giving me a hard time now and I just need that rainy day to clean the buttons.

·
Registered
3,860 Posts
The bike is less than a year young. Still under warranty. Ducati needs to fix it. If your local dealer is hamming you, phone the next closest one, explain the problem/history, and tell them that you want it fixed RIGHT.

(maybe tell that to your dealer first?) Tell them to cut the crap and get the bitch fixed UNDER WARRANTY.

·
Registered
523 Posts
ducbill;Thanks for the info!The left is also a different part # from the right and more expensive because the left disk has the sensor ring for the abs.
I see that now; missed it. I edited my original post. The 2007 parts book shows a quantity of 2 for the right hand one. Clearly not true. The manual also shows that the front calipers for the abs models are different than for the non-abs models although it looks like the rear caliper is the same.
Bill W.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I had the same problem with the pulsing rotors. Almost all of the responses here were that the rotors don't warp, its the buttons that need cleaning blah blah blah. With 30+ years of riding I knew the difference and stuck to my guns with Ducati. After replacing pads, cleaning rotors, buttons and going thru all of their 'corrections'. Ducati paid for new rotors/pads, with labor et al.
Result was the pulsing was gone. I will try to find the post if I can. Stick to it with Ducati. The rotors can and do warp and they are not a wear item with a new bike.

Here is the link to that thread. Good Luck!
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=30415

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
I had the same problem with the pulsing rotors. Almost all of the responses here were that the rotors don't warp, its the buttons that need cleaning blah blah blah. With 30+ years of riding I knew the difference and stuck to my guns with Ducati. After replacing pads, cleaning rotors, buttons and going thru all of their 'corrections'. Ducati paid for new rotors/pads, with labor et al.
Result was the pulsing was gone. I will try to find the post if I can. Stick to it with Ducati. The rotors can and do warp and they are not a wear item with a new bike.

Here is the link to that thread. Good Luck!
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=30415
How many miles have you managed on the new rotors and how many did you have on the clock when the original pulsing began ?

·
Registered
94 Posts
EBC website shows rotors for 06-08 ST3s ABS .Part #'s are left side -MD624LS ,right side-MD633x.My 04 ST4s has gone through 2 set of rotors-warped after hard riding/braking.After I got home with new 2nd set I very carefully sprayed a drop of WD40 into each button then rotated untill moving freely.As delivered from factory buttons are almost frozen!Every now & then I spin buttons to keep them free.It has helped -brakes are fine now.All I know is rotors do get warped,I think buttons are the problem cause? Dont forget to clean discs of WD40 residue.If my rotors go again I'll probably go with EBC. Jim.

·
Premium Member
6,917 Posts
I am assuming here but, it seems that only ST3S ABS owners are the only ones with warped rotor problems, I may be way off here?

Could it be that the ABS system bikes puts undue pressure/stress on the rotors and therefore causes a problem?

Can the cure be as simple as others have indicated with cleaning buttons etc?

My ST2 2002 is pure, and I have no desire to improve the brakes whatsoever, so I can only assume the ST3S ABS is a lemon:):D:eek:

Craig:D

·
Registered
824 Posts
The rotors DO warp.........

......on ST4s models too. Mine warped without any serious abuse. The stock rotors suck IMO. A buddy of mine (ST4sABS) & I (ST4s) scored some Alth rotors from Oncycles at Ducati Day Daytona in 2007 for 50% off, a smoking deal to say the least. The only thing my friend had to do was to have some holes drilled & tapped for the ABS sensor for them to work on his bike-something any half way competent machinist can do for you if you can't do it yourself.
Gregg

Attachments

·
Registered
11 Posts
I've been a mechanic ,rider and racer for (many,many)years.
I too would have sworn the rotors were warped on my ST3. The dealer worked on the bike for hours and were very helpful and made a big improvement.
Butt a car racer buddy (200mph+)who is just plain smart not really a mechanic,
told me it was material transfer after carefully looking at my rotors. I cleaned them up (took them off the wheel) good and put galfer pads on which worked well and solved the problem. Trouble then was I didn't need antilock brakes cause it wouldn't stop in the rain. I then went to EBC and feel it is the best yet.
No sign of the problem with 22,000 on my 07.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts