8,211 Posts
Check the roadracing section.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Will ride Yamaha in 2013.

Anybody have the real facts as to why?

Dan
Read that Ducati is REALLY slow to respond to riders input and needs to change things. Stoner said the Ducati you start the season with is the same one you finish with.

Thought Rossi and company could make the Ducati work. Obivously not true.

Glad he's going to be on a competitive bike again. Going to be some real battles with Jorge for sure.

·
Registered
166 Posts
After watching the Ducati Nat Geo video, I would have thought they were working closely with their riders. I'd love to have seen him go back to Aprilia....back to his roots.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
why? because Rossi hasn't won a single race on a Ducati no matter what they try. There's lots of reasons, but Ducati let the winning team go to Honda a few years ago and the current team just doesn't have it takes.

·
Registered
166 Posts
There is a lot of money in racing, especially in Europe. At some point most manufacturers will have their day in the sun while the others manufacturers play catch-up. A good pilot can ride almost anything and give it a winning chance. Rossi is a great pilot with an ego to match. If he felt Ducati was not listening, change was in order. His frustration levels may have been through the roof. Rossi wants to win, not come in second. He can make money anywhere, but respect is a different issue.

why? because Rossi hasn't won a single race on a Ducati no matter what they try. There's lots of reasons, but Ducati let the winning team go to Honda a few years ago and the current team just doesn't have it takes.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
There is a lot of money in racing, especially in Europe. At some point most manufacturers will have their day in the sun while the others manufacturers play catch-up. A good pilot can ride almost anything and give it a winning chance. Rossi is a great pilot with an ego to match. If he felt Ducati was not listening, change was in order. His frustration levels may have been through the roof. Rossi wants to win, not come in second. He can make money anywhere, but respect is a different issue.
I believe it all comes down to sponsor $$$: my full comment is in this thread http://www.ducati.ms/forums/78-road-racing/142503-rossi-back-yamaha-3.html#post1410606

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I believe it all comes down to sponsor $$$: my full comment is in this thread http://www.ducati.ms/forums/78-road-racing/142503-rossi-back-yamaha-3.html#post1410606
I disagree. Rossi will get a multi-million dollar contract anywhere he goes. But he's close to retirement and he wants to be go out on a winning streak which he can't do with Ducati. Their bikes have just not been competitive the last few years compared to Honda and Yamaha.

The greatest of all time does not want his reputation tarnished in his golden years. His idol is Ago and while he'll never get as many wins or championships as Ago, he wants to go out in glory not as the guy who couldn't win to save his life and stayed in the sport too long.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Why? Do you really have to ask? The Ducati is simply not competitive and Valentino gave them plenty of time and opportunity to show that they could at least move things in the right direction, which Ducati has been unable to do. After his crash at Laguna, it was obvious that he'd had enough.

Rossi is not a fool and, save for the Yamaha switch way back when, he has always made sure that he was on one of the best, if not the best, bike in whatever series he was running. Moving to Ducati was a mistake and he'd be a fool not to get back on the best all around bike in MotoGP going into a year without Stoner and with a field (save for a few riders) of largely new guys and old guys on new bikes. If he stays healthy, he's probably a lock for a top 3 finish next season and some race wins. On the Duc, he'd almost certainly be back in 6-15 again.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
I disagree. Rossi will get a multi-million dollar contract anywhere he goes...
Marty - it doesn't look like you took the time to follow the link to my full comment made in another thread and read it. The $$$ I was referring to are the $$$ paid to teams by major sponsors. Yamaha doesn't have one, Rossi can provide one again with his return, otherwise why on earth would Yamaha take Rossi back when thy've got Lorenzo on a two-year contract? Who wants that wall-in-the-garage BS again? Yamaha wanted to regain Rossi's sponsor appeal, and Rossi's personal sponsors want him winning again to enhance his immediate value to them. That's the only reason this deal happens. What Rossi gets paid personally is an irrelevant part of the equation as you yourself noted.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
... The Ducati is simply not competitive and Valentino gave them plenty of time and opportunity to show that they could at least move things in the right direction, which Ducati has been unable to do. After his crash at Laguna, it was obvious that he'd had enough...
I wonder how much of that inability to move ahead was due to the drastic switch from frameless to twin spar traditional frame? Suddenly, Ducati engineers were working in an area with which they had little experience. They would have done better (certainly not worse) by switching back to a trellis frame - at least there they had years of data and experience.

We should also remember that Ducati has really had only one season to fix problems, since this is the first year of the 1000cc bike. What was learned from the last year of the 800s doesn't fully apply. I think Rossi and Burgess shoud have given them another year (but maybe sponsors pressed the issue - see my comment in my previous post)

·
Registered
545 Posts
I wonder how much of that inability to move ahead was due to the drastic switch from frameless to twin spar traditional frame? Suddenly, Ducati engineers were working in an area with which they had little experience. They would have done better (certainly not worse) by switching back to a trellis frame - at least there they had years of data and experience.

We should also remember that Ducati has really had only one season to fix problems, since this is the first year of the 1000cc bike. What was learned from the last year of the 800s doesn't fully apply. I think Rossi and Burgess shoud have given them another year (but maybe sponsors pressed the issue - see my comment in my previous post)
Yeah, I just disagree. Even back when Stoner was riding the Ducati it was an ill handling beast of a bike. The fact that he was able to ride it fast and win on it is a testament to his talent, not the bike. The Ducati MotoGP bike has sucked for a long time and everyone knows it. I would love to see things come together and for Hayden to be competitive on it next year, but I just don't see it happening. They still aren't even moving consistently in the right direction and if you read the transcript of Hayden's IMS interview from yesterday, it sounds like they're still basically lost with the bike and not anywhere close to being truly competitive.

Rossi's comments after crashing at Laguna on the brakes while nearly vertical and finding zero tire wear after almost full race distance were all one needed to hear about the Duc bike and his future. The supposedly best rider on the planet in terms of setting up and developing a bike basically said 'we're lost'.

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
I wonder how much of that inability to move ahead was due to the drastic switch from frameless to twin spar traditional frame? Suddenly, Ducati engineers were working in an area with which they had .....
(completing the sentence above) less money and commitment from its parent company given the timing of the company possibly being put up for sale. It's going to take some more time but I think Ducati will come out ahead given the recent change in ownership.

Go DucAudi :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts