Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
3,070 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
from bbc news website:

World champion Valentino Rossi has hinted he will leave Yamaha if they do not drop Jorge Lorenzo in 2011.

Italian Rossi, who won his ninth world crown this year, has also revealed he could switch allegiance to Ducati.

Lorenzo recently signed a new one-year deal with the Japanese firm but Rossi does not think there is room for the two riders in the same team.

"Yamaha have to decide between me and Jorge for 2011," Rossi told BBC Two. "I have a great option to join Ducati."

The pair have fought some incredible battles on the track this season, with the 30-year-old Rossi coming out on top and clinching the title with one race of the season to spare, while Lorenzo, 22, as runner-up.

But Lorenzo has said that he has not always felt appreciated at Yamaha and revealed he had received offers from other manufacturers before signing his new deal.

Now Rossi, who signed a two-year deal with Yamaha in August 2008, has made it clear he could make a switch.

"I am not sure 100% if I will stay with Yamaha," said Rossi. "It depends on what happens next year. It depends on my performance and the fight with Jorge Lorenzo and the decision of Yamaha for 2011.

"I could change bike, ride for Ducati and try to win the world championship with an Italian bike. That would be a great motivation.

"But I prefer at this moment to stay with Yamaha because the love between me and Yamaha, our relationship, is something special.

"To change bike would feel unfaithful. So for Yamaha it is important that I finish my career with them and for me it is also important. "

·
Premium Member
6,048 Posts
In general if it humiliates or embarrasses them the Japanese don't do too well with this type of attitude or ultimatum.
Is it about money or is it about pushing Yamaha to do it Rossi's way?
Maybe a little of both?

OR

Is there a bigger drama building behind the scenes?

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
I think the issue is that Lorenzo is benefiting from Rossi's development work wth the M1.
Minor issue, that. It really just comes down to Rossi is afraid of a year-more-matured Lorenzo on the same bike.

·
Registered
5,284 Posts
He always seems to enjoy the "gret bat-tell's"....I don't get it either.
Only if he comes out on the better end of the bat-tel.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
this reminds me of '96 and '97... with Doohan and Creville... Alex was getting all of Doohan set-up data as well. Doohan used to complain about it in the same way.. and Alex was always giving Doohan a run for it just like Jorge is to Rossi.

the change came when Doohan stopped using the big-bang motor, and went back to the screamer... Alex tried to get along with the screamer, but couldn't... and Doohan dominated and won all but 1 race (if i remember correctly )...

it comes as no surprise to me... in any job that involves some form of competition... you don't want your competition to not have to do their own homework... kinda like Rossi and Burgess did the home work... and Jorge's team got the answers while out have dinner and drinks and not having to study... i'm not taking anything away from Jorge at all.. i love how hard he rides... and he will have his day, no doubt. But i can definitely see Rossi's point of view... just like Doohan had the same opinion 13 years ago...

i remember wanting Doohan to change teams back in '97 (like Rossi did in '04 )... to see how he would do off of the Honda... maybe give the Yamaha or Suzuki a go... alas not to happen. But these days their is no second motor for Rossi... like Doohan had the option back then.

again.. i'm not taking anything away from Jorge... and i'm not so quick to think that Jorge and his team won't do just fine without Rossi's and Burgess' info... but it think there may be some writing on the wall at Yamaha... perhaps it is being talked about that the factory squad will be Jorge and Spies in '11. both are younger ... very fast... and should do well for some years. where as the idea of Rossi retiring is a spoken conversation at times. Perhaps Yamaha is just looking further in the future at the two younger options.. and Rossi' is wanting Yamaha to make the choice instead of himself. Then later the question of loyalty won't be on Rossi's shoulders... it will have been Yamaha's choice... i think the faster that Spies end up riding, the more likely Rossi will leave. If it looks like Spies will struggle a bit, perhaps Yamaha will want to keep Rossi around a bit longer. Seems like Yamaha has two choices for '11.. either Rossi or Spies will join Jorge on the factory squad..

it's a way of life for the older one who has been their and done it to have to sooner or later step away so the younger replacement can take over... it just so happens that sometimes... well th older person isn't ready to retire... there's still some desire to do the job...

personally... i think if Spies shows top 4 or 5 capabilities next year early on... Yamaha and Rossi will shake hands and go their own ways... and we will see a big , bright yellow Ducati with the number 46 on it's nose in '11..
my $.02....

·
Registered
76 Posts
I also recall something about Rossi being upset that Yamaha held Lorenzo to a one year contract where as Yamaha required Rossi to commit to a two year deal.

·
Premium Member
8,752 Posts
Put them in separate paddocks. Maybe we are talking about basic personality conflicts, it was apparent in the relationship of "teammates" Doohan and Creville.

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
yep.. it was totally apparent with Doohan and Creville..

i'm just wondering when we'll see all of this start to show on Jorge. It's only become verbal for the past few months, so it's only starting to build.. but i'm assuming that sooner or later this will piss Jorge off a bit. I know they're all smiles now, but i'm waiting to see when Jorge actually states his opinion about it.

next season is gonna be a good one....

·
Registered
518 Posts
I bet Rossi is just using the Ducati offer as leverage to make Yamaha do what he wants them to do (Lorenzo did the same thing a few months back).

This really should have been posted in the roadracing section by the way.
why is it the people who dont contribute to to this site always seem to be the ones who complain about thread placements? :rolleyes:

·
9,757 Posts

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
as far as the Rossi thing... i think it's Yamaha's idea to go with younger guys for the long term future... i really do. A lot of people think that Rossi may retire in a year or two... and think Yamaha is planning for it just in case.

I still think it all comes down to Spies.... Yamaha, i believe anyhow, will be happy with Spies joining Jorge in '11 on the factory squad... if Spies is fast enough.... we will see..

now... as far as Matt contributing?... well he does almost have 3000 posts. and what we all say on these crazy forums is subjective anyhow...

·
9,757 Posts
as far as the Rossi thing... i think it's Yamaha's idea to go with younger guys for the long term future... i really do. A lot of people think that Rossi may retire in a year or two... and think Yamaha is planning for it just in case.

I still think it all comes down to Spies.... Yamaha, i believe anyhow, will be happy with Spies joining Jorge in '11 on the factory squad... if Spies is fast enough.... we will see..

now... as far as Matt contributing?... well he does almost have 3000 posts. and what we all say on these crazy forums is subjective anyhow...
Even if Rossi plans to retire in 2011, Yamaha has to be thinking about keeping him as a Yamaha ambassador the same way they've kept Lawson, Rainey, and even Ago in the fold.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
perhaps... i mean many options are possible.. for instance.. Yamaha signed Jorge for a one year contract, and we know that Ducati was interested in Jorge as well...

so '11 could look like... Rossi and Spies for Yamaha..
Jorge and Hayden for Ducati..
and Pedrosa and Stoner on Honda...

Motogp's gonna be pretty darn interesting in the next couple of seasons...

·
Registered
635 Posts
I'm pretty sure they were put in separate paddocks because they are running different tires. It was the tire companies that caused the separation. But who knows if there is more to it than that.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I think the issue is that Lorenzo is benefiting from Rossi's development work wth the M1.
Yamaha has been letting Lorenzo do some things they never let Rossi do, sign single year contracts and wait about a month later in the year to sign the contract. Yamaha has always insisted that even Rossi sign his contract before the Indy race and that he had to sign for at least 2 years, Lorenzo somehow got around both and Rossi wasn't happy. With 9 world championships, your teammate with a lot less shouldn't be the one getting special treatment. And yes this is all just to leverage Yamaha, Rossi said right before that he wouldn't make up his mind about 2011 until at least June 2010, anything before that is just pressuring Yamaha to do things his way.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts