Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Highly recommend these new riding jeans from Rokker - single layer lightweight for under $300, a price point first for them. Had them for two days so far, about a 100 miles of riding both night and 100 degree F days and they are fantastic. Feel like a pair of old school Levi 501's without the D30 knee armor, which is an optional purchase. Single layer means no mesh liner (doesn't need it because they are very comfy soft inside), no diaper of Kevlar and baseball catcher knee/calf Kevlar sleeve, and its not some paper thin denim overtop of it all. This stuff is thick, 13.5oz high quality denim (unlike modern 501's which I swear are 6oz now!) with the protection built into the weave, ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene (UHMWPE). These breathe well, light years better than several other tri layer type I own.

With the AA rating and a 6.5 second slide time this is the future of riding jeans, I won't wear any of the others until winter.

·
Super Moderator
26,635 Posts
Very cool - thanks for this. As somebody who is beginning to get sick of donning all this gear every time, this is a very timely and welcome review!

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I just ordered a pair of these; I have a pair of Spidi J&Dyneema single layer jeans I love then, Single layer stuff is the way to go in my opinion if you're doing street commuting (maybe not interstate, but everyones risk tolerance varies). At this price point I couldn't pass them up, especially since it sounds like they are bit more comfortable in hotter weather. The Spidi are good, but they only came in black so you get quite a bit of thermal heat from them, so hopefully the little bit darker blue will be slightly nicer.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will never ever wear any of the other riding jeans I have unless it is below 45 degrees F, and maybe not even then as these Rokkers will fit a pair of long johns under them because they have some flex. I've taken out the knee pads for now, yeah - I feel a little naked without them but these jeans are just awesome. 100 degrees F every day and these just let me get on without sweating.

·
Premium Member
109 Posts
I will never ever wear any of the other riding jeans I have unless it is below 45 degrees F, and maybe not even then as these Rokkers will fit a pair of long johns under them because they have some flex. I've taken out the knee pads for now, yeah - I feel a little naked without them but these jeans are just awesome. 100 degrees F every day and these just let me get on without sweating.
I've had mine for two days now and they've been fantastic. Riding here in Florida it's been a little warmer and I can definitely feel the air flow, even at lower speeds like 20mph traffic. I'm pretty happy with the purchase and if I didn't have a second pair of single layer I'd be thinking about another pair so I could rotate them and not have to launder them as much.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quite a manual comes with them concerning laundering, ie DONT. Fold them up and put them in the bag they came in and put it in the freezer overnight. Next day shake them while frozen to get any dirt off, use a soft brush for any heavy spots. If washing ever becomes necessary, once a year, use only a little Woolite and hand wash in a tub, drip dry.

·
Super Moderator
26,635 Posts
I bought a pair of the new Rokkertech's from Revzilla and promptly returned them. I didn't like the skinny-jean cut at all. There's no way they would fit over my riding boots and I would have to do the cowboy in-the-boot thing - exactly what I didn't want in a pair of "these aren't motorcycle pants" pants.
Based on Web Bike reviews I exchanged them for the Rev'It Philly's and love them. True 501/505 fit and they come with knee armor standard. I bought the hip armor and am very happy with them. They won't replace leather for my more spirited romps or my 'Stitch for longer stuff but for a casual ride they are great.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Skinny cut describes nearly all of the Dainese riding jeans, but these Rokkertech stretch after a few days wear. Very stiff and tight the first dozen hours of wearing. I don't like their long leg sizing because it makes it hard to get the knee armor pockets in the right place. Not sure what kind of riding boots you have but these even go over my Daytona boots which are huge at the tops. Perhaps you did not have them long to get them stretching or ordered a size too small?

Revit Philly2 jeans have a lot of great features, heavy duty outside layer of Cordura infused denim at 12.5oz, double center riveted belt loops, coolmax shorts built in, darts in the gusseted crotch area and a lot more size options to choose from. Perhaps once the heat in Arizona is over for the season I will get a pair but until then the three layer system (actually 4 with the coolmax inner shorts but in that area the mesh is not added) is just too much to drag around all day, the Rokkertech's are less than 1/4 the weight overall and still have a higher slide protection rating.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

This is the one I'm talking about, they make two slim ones also - wonder if they shipped you the wrong ones? In any case, I agree the Philly2 comes in such a variety of sizes anyone can get a good fit which is not always true with the Rokkertech Rider unless you have them altered by sewing.

·
Super Moderator
26,635 Posts
I can't say for sure that I didn't get the wrong ones, or that you didn't for that matter. There was no way they were going over my boots (TCX roadrace style, couldn't tell you what model) and that was a deal breaker for me. I wasn't going to ride them and not be able to return them, not for $300.

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, the future in riding jeans is for this single layer type, maybe later this year other designs will become available, skinny jeans don't work for me either. The manual, bag and tags that came with mine clearly stated Rokkertech Rider and the back pocket stitching is unique to this model.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Quite a manual comes with them concerning laundering, ie DONT. Fold them up and put them in the bag they came in and put it in the freezer overnight. Next day shake them while frozen to get any dirt off, use a soft brush for any heavy spots. If washing ever becomes necessary, once a year, use only a little Woolite and hand wash in a tub, drip dry.
so ok ..... once per year .... in this sweaty ass-crack of a home we call The Desert? Frozen dingleberries stuck to the insides .. oh man ... just ain't happenin. Neck sweat rolls all the way down the center of the back, collecting more moisture on the way down to the inevitable center lane. Sweat soaks the underoos, crap-and-balls-stew begins to soak through the Captain Caveman undies and into the waiting, absorbent, crotch of the once innocent riding jeans. In an instant, the crap-balls-stew violates the riding jean's most intimate region .... only to be frozen into crap-balls-stew frozen yogurt, it's shards lay melting on the floor.

... ahem ....

HO Yea! ... I'm gonna go find me a set of used ones on eBay .. and I'm talkin' RIGHT NOW! Yea, buddy .. can't WAIT to get me some good old used gusset-funk, ass-crack-staink, sweaty-ass-balls, drippy-dick-left-overs, STD crotch ridin' jeans! Better'n sniffin seats in a parkin lot!

ok i'm done now ... couldn't resist ... too much topic there just waiting to be ... bah ... ok nevermind, i'll get me coat ...

·
Registered
2,505 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
True, but they are anti microbial (it's a 21st century thing, invented by NASA for the ISIS and Shuttle missions) unless you wash them. Freezing them takes the elements of sweat away, it shakes off because it cannot penetrate the fibers. No microbes = no stink. These are not your dad's jeans, not with a 6.5 second slide time at 60mph before penetration.

I usually wear a pair of armored shorts with comfy bicycle type wicking, hard hip and tailbone pads and they are all hand washable. I have several brands, this is my favorite to combine with the Rokker Tech Rider since they really do allow airflow to get to the shorts:

I've frozen them twice so far, actually easier than washing since I have a second fridge for beer and the freezer is usually empty but for a bottle of vodka or two. Just flip inside out, fold into the included "freezing bag". It looks like tiny snowflake crystals in the right light coming from the inner thigh and seat area. BTW, dirt shakes off too, haven't gotten any oil on them yet but the manual says touch up spots with a sponge and whatever the missus uses to clean her best cashmere sweaters with.

Astronauts on the station have a sun room where they hang their jumpsuits made of this kind of stuff and Covec for an hour or two to accomplish the same thing although I suppose they could just open a window and shake them out as they would freeze pretty quick.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Rex is thinking, “Right, more space junk floating about!”
Space junk ... not nearly as bad as ~junk in space~ ... little frozen ice crystals of ass-crack-ball soup ... from your junk ... in space ... on the windshield of your rocketship ... like bugs ... frozen ball soup ass crack .... in space ... on your windshield ... of your space suit.

OHhh ... look! .... how cool! Ice crystals in space! They're so pretty!

Nope. Ball sack butt crack nasty. From Rock's nasty jeans. Not a natural wonder of space. Just natural human funk from betwixt the butt cheeks. Frozen. Forever.

Ahhhh ... the wonder that is space. ..... oh shit I'm gonna ralph! 🤢 🤢 🤢

(haahaa) .... :)

ok, I'm all done with this. thanks for indulging me.

wait, one more .... NUT SACK ASS CRACK SOUP! ... SPACE ASS SLURPEE! .... WHO's GONNA CLEAN ROCK'S ASS CRACK NASTY TAINT STEW OFFA HUBBLE'S LENS!!!??!!?? THE HUMANITY!!! THE HUMANITY!!!

Nice riding pants, Rocko. Seriously here. I just needed to perform an exorcism on myself here in this thread ... needed the comedic outburst. Thanks for informing all of us about those riding pants. I've needed something like that, great review and very informative postings from you. Thanks again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts