Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter picked up a nice low km 2000 VFR. I rode it from her place to mine (380 km) to do some service work for her. Comparing it to my 04 ST4s, the first thing that stood out was that the suspension was no match (which says a lot about the ST4s suspension, as all the reports on the VFR praise the suspension), the second was that the seat wasn't as nice (it wasn't bad, I've been on worse but once again it says a lot about the ST4s seat), next was that there was not as much wind coverage. Those points being mentioned I found that the bike was actually very familiar to the ST4s in a way that I felt as one with the bike (very much the same in lay out and balance) right away. The gearing is quite a bit lower and the transmission spacing was quite close making it a easy bike to ride. All in all I found it to be a nice ride and it would be a nice bike to live with ( a good replacement for what we are used to).

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
7,733 Posts
My daughter picked up a nice low km 2000 VFR. I rode it from her place to mine (380 km) to do some service work for her. Comparing it to my 04 ST4s, the first thing that stood out was that the suspension was no match (which says a lot about the ST4s suspension, as all the reports on the VFR praise the suspension), the second was that the seat wasn't as nice (it wasn't bad, I've been on worse but once again it says a lot about the ST4s seat), next was that there was not as much wind coverage. Those points being mentioned I found that the bike was actually very familiar to the ST4s in a way that I felt as one with the bike (very much the same in lay out and balance) right away. The gearing is quite a bit lower and the transmission spacing was quite close making it a easy bike to ride. All in all I found it to be a nice ride and it would be a nice bike to live with ( a good replacement for what we are used to).

Jerry
04 ST4s
Which "generation" is it? I like the looks of the 1996 models, (I think). :)

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Which "generation" is it? I like the looks of the 1996 models, (I think). :)
I think that the 1996 models are the 750's. It is a 2000 800, before the v-tec models. Nice bike, smaller looking than the v-tec models. Surprisingly, when I first pulled away with it it felt a tad heavier than my 4s but that quickly disappeared and never came up again.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Registered
24 Posts
the 2000 is the 5th gen, the 1st generation to use fuel injection, and the last before the much bemoaned VTEC and the departure of the WONDERFUL gear driven cams. The VFR is actually about 10kilos lighter than my 02 st4s. I was a bit of a VFR Enthusiast until my beloved 2nd gen was totaled by an 18yr old girl who rearended me.

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
At times I have considered a VFR as a replacement for my late 04-ST4s. A regular in my local riding group has one and he has no problems leaving me far behind on our multi day road trips.

Although I consider the VFR to be one of the few remaining genuine sport tourers, it gets uglier with every new model year. IMHO, the older ones from the 90's look the best.

·
7,733 Posts
...Although I consider the VFR to be one of the few remaining genuine sport tourers, it gets uglier with every new model year. IMHO, the older ones from the 90's look the best.
I agree. I too have looked at them off and on over the years. I like the '96 models, (I think they're the "4th" generation) because they remind somewhat me of the NR750. I figure it'd be a good bike for my son and or even my daughter to learn on when they're ready, and I figure they'd get ready pretty quick with one of those in my garage waiting for them. :) It's just a matter of getting some extra, extra cash together. :(

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
I had an 03 VFR800 VTEC before my SC. Very nice bike - does everything very well. I had aspirations of taking it across country and it was certainly capable of doing this. However I never really had the time to commit to this kind of trip and always liked the SCs so sold it.

To all that are intrigued about any (or all) generations of the VFR, www.vfrworld.com is a very informative and well maintained forum.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vfr 1200

K1W1,thanks for the VFR site link!I have been following info on new VFR1200,and this site is full of stuff.Even though the bike is a v-4 the new design is to be almost as narrow as a v-twin?Looks like this could make a really nice sport tourer.It makes me sick to see all this new tech coming out in a brand new sport touring bike.Where is our new ST with 1198 motor,traction control,sleek updated fairing,cams for midrange,etc?Dang!Well I still love my ST4s!Jim.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I've had 12 VFR's over the years, I guess that makes me a fan. Never had a problem with any of them. Then one day, I got rid of my '04 and got a 1098S. I have not looked back.
When it came time to get a "commuter" bike, I picked the new Kawi Concours ('08). Now I have the best of both worlds IMO.

·
7,733 Posts
...It makes me sick to see all this new tech coming out in a brand new sport touring bike.Where is our new ST with 1198 motor,traction control,sleek updated fairing,cams for midrange,etc?....
What, no automatic tranny with your demands?! LOL!!

Ducati stated the ST market is irrelevant to them when they dropped the ST line for 2008. Ducati calls the new Starda Aperta a "practical superbike" but it sure looks fugly to me based on the spy shots, so it's no substitute for the ST IMO. :)

The more I hear about the new VFR, the more turned off I get: Too much stuff!

·
unM0derator
2,853 Posts
The VFR1200, as it is shaping up to be, is quite fugly too, IMHO.

I hope though, looks aside, that Honda can manage to not transfer the "death wobble" of the ST1300 to the VFR. The VFR looks to have approximately the same running gear, albeit with the SSSA, so this is a concern.

For those that don't know, the ST1300 exhibits pan weave at speed which has caused a number of police agencies around the globe to stop using the bike. The reason looks to be a combination of poor aerodynamics, rear-biased weight loading on a weak shock, improper factory torquing of engine frame bolts, and improper steering geometry for the bikes desired application.

From Wiki:

"At high speeds the ST1300 may exhibit a weave instability mode. Citing this instability, a number of UK police forces have withdrawn the ST1300P from service. On 27 April 2007, Coroner Dr James Adeley, speaking at an inquest into the death of experienced police motorcyclist PC David Shreeve, announced that he would write to all Chief Constables in England warning of the "serious threat" to riders' lives posed by the ST1300P (the emergency services version of the ST1300 Pan-European), and the "catastrophic result" of the high speed weave. PC Shreeve was thrown from his bike and killed on 9 November 2005. Subsequent safety checks resulted in one examiner sustaining several broken bones in a similar incident."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_ST1300#Pan_weave

http://www.ridethatbike.com/ST1300/ST wobble.htm

·
Registered
94 Posts
Vfr

The new VFR will come in three versions(eventually).The R-sport touring,ST-replacment for ST100,and an adventure model.I bet the sport touring model will be a great handling bike.Check out the site K1W1 linked up!I think it is going to be a great sport touring bike.Shame on Ducati for not giving us a new sport tourer.Yamaha,Kawasaki,Honda,Triumph,Moto Guzzi,all have dedicated sport tourers.These are all really nice but I want a new Ducati STRs! Hold the automatuc tranny though!Jim

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
I like the '96 models, (I think they're the "4th" generation)
I have to admit I've liked them over the years, and remember them always doing ok in endurance racing in the mid to late 80's (back when they were a 750)
because they remind me somewhat me of the NR750.
Yeah that was great to look at in it's day (maybe still is to some) but was a right old porker at 234Kg.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I had seen a very well kept VFR750 at the Deals Gap Store a couple of years ago, red with white. It had some tasteful add-ons and an after market exhaust. The bike was beautiful and with the loopy idle it sounded awesome, different but similar to our Ducks (both being a 90 degree/v). I have had a lot of inline fours (still have a couple) and though they were all good bikes I have lost interest in them. They are just too common. My ST4s has ruined me, but if it was to become a problem (it's NOT), a VFR could be unique enough to be interesting.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
From the photo, it resembles a miniature ST1300. Honda should take the time to design side bags which blend into the bike, like Ducati did with the ST's. I have always thought the VFR's side bags are too wide and look like bolt-on afterthoughts.
Agreed, Ducati did a very good job with the look of the bags on the bike. The new VFR looks to be a large bulky bike.

Jerry
04 ST4s

·
Still needs a life.
12,618 Posts
i always thought the 2001 back were good looking bikes
I agree. The VFR is one of those motorcycles which seems to get worse looking with the newer models. The ones from the 90's were very good looking.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts