Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well here's my $0.02:

I think it _needs_ a steering damper. The bike felt like the evil off-spring of a 900SS with anorexia and a Suzuki TL1000s on steroids. It was very comfortable despite the short pull of the typically heavy Ducati clutch and the suspension settings were great for a combination of highway on/off-ramp apex strafing and commuter duties. Way more comfortable than my 748, but that's not saying much lol. :rolleyes: The exhaust note was a little wussy; I think a set of Termis should be purchased immediately so you can frighten children and senior citizens at stoplights. The brakes are fantastic and I almost pulled off a rolling stoppie at the first light I hit since they bit so much harder than my 748. :rolleyes:

In the immortal words of Ferris Bueller, "...if you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."

Sweet bike, I didn't ask how much it costs, because I didn't want to know...

·
Registered
43 Posts
Did that front end get light with 130 h.p. on tap "accidentally" of course during your test ride?

I saw the bike today at our local shop (LETKO here in Kansas City) but could not ride it because I am on crutches (no not bike related). Looked very good in the white with a red stripe but there are alot of hoses to somewhat ruin the clean lines.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Motophoto said:
I saw the bike today at our local shop (LETKO here in Kansas City) but could not ride it because I am on crutches (no not bike related).
I didn't even go look at it because I am on crutches also...so I didn't want to sit there and temp myself with something I couldn't play with!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Getting right off my 748 onto the S4RS I knew I had to be careful with the 40+ extra hp the bike probably makes and the fact it's about 100lbs lighter, lol... but even so it was really easy to get the front end light and wiggly. Looking at specs and such though now, I'm not sure the S4RS is worth the extra money vs. a "regular" S4R... Much to think about I guess... :D

·
Registered
207 Posts
Road a demo with Termi pipes today. Sounds and goes good. Still needs a PCIII as it was spitting when coming off the gas. Nothing like taken a demo for a ride with only 25 miles on it and the salesperson saying "it's ok get on it!" Do not ride if you don't want a new bike. to be honest I found the brakes grab to hard. There wasn't any progression/feel to them. Bike pulls hard past 120mph. :)

·
Registered
649 Posts
I was amazed at how light an agile the bike felt. It felt like an M620. It was fantastic.

My skills aren't good enough to notice the Ohlins.

I didn't realize what the 30hp did until I wacked the throttle coming out of a turn...wow...it definitely pulled differently than my 749.

For me, the extra HP makes it easier to focus on riding since there is power everywhere. I thought the 749 had power everywhere; however, it requires shifting and is jerkier feeling. The 1000DS S2R I test rode several months ago just didn't have the kick of the 749; however the 2V made it smoother. Brakes...the 749 brakes better than the S4RS, but the S4RS is still very good. Overall the S4RS is a load of power and easy/ fun to ride like other monsters!

Thumbs up!

Oh....one negative. As I pulled into the lot at the end of the test ride the bike wouldn't go into neutral. I carefully tried to move it into different gears with no luck. It ended up locking down in 1st gear. It was the only demo S4RS. I'm not sure if it was a break master or what. The linkage appeared to be ok. Our very good tech took it into the back room to work on it. It wasn't back out for demos when we left an hour later. Kinda felt sorry for everyone else who hadn't ridden it yet. I didn't do anything to break it. (Although, I did rev it past the 6000 break in rule.... ) Hard not too!

·
Registered
3,883 Posts
Saw the one in Worcester today. Rain conditions thwarted any test drives. So it looks like the one here will have zero miles. Oh, it's $15,000.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Just come back from the test ride of S4RS. Since I've got a S4R, I could go more aggressive on the S4RS. First thing I noticed was the front brake was much much more powerful than S4R. In fact, I only needed to use one finger to pull the brake lever to stop the bike from high speed.
Rode the bike onto freeway, the bottom end and mid range are basically the same as the S4R. But the top end power, the S4RS is much better. And the engine is much smoother especially at low rpm. It does need a steering damper, but the feeling of the front end was not too bad compare to my S4R. I think that it's because of the Ohlins suspension. Other things are basically the same between the S4RS and S4R. Both of them have heavy clutch, but not as heavy as the Sport 1000. I asked the sales person, the S4RS cost about 15K and I think that it is not too bad because if u want a high performance Monster, S4Rs is your only choice. The S4R will be discontinued after 2006.
Another thing good for the S4Rs is all the wiring is hidden inside the bike. Not even the "rubber band" straps hanging around the frame. Ducati should have done this for all of the earlier models of Monster.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Zooom, I told them I could still ride it with a cast on my left leg that I would just stop on the right every time but they would not go for it :rolleyes: . Hey J24Joe, I found the web site its me Brett=Motophoto good find.

Along the lines of very stupid things 7 years ago when I was in a cast for another operation I did take out my SuperSport for a ride, went fine but was pretty stupid now that I think about it :eek: .

·
Registered
649 Posts
Great to see you here Brett. Nice having lunch.

I think you will find that this is the best Ducati forum on the Internet!

I'll pm (private message) my email to you. Let me know when your foot is better so I can get some more lessons.

I'm watching F1 qualifying on the DVR right now while typing... Coultard with a big crash.

BTW, I forgot to to mention that the clutch on the S4RS was smooth/easy compared to the 749 (super stiff). Also, it's gotta be a slipper although I can't find that in the tech specs on the Ducati site. My girlfriends M620 slipper isn't nearly the same though. I guess the S4RS's smoothness on downshifts has something to do with the gearing or engine size? The S4RS was so so smooth on downshifts. Thumbs up!

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The S4RS's clutch definately is not a slipper and doesn't have a back-torque-limiter. I massively locked up the rear wheel while downshifting as I returned to the shop. I don't think anyone noticed because of all the other commotion going on but it did let off a seriously pronounced chirp/hop.

·
Registered
86 Posts
No, it is for sure not a slipper clutch but the down shifting is really smooth.

·
Registered
649 Posts
Interesting. I can't remember where I was in the powerband, but I know the 749 would have kicked at the same point.

·
what's a Fly N Fink?
876 Posts
test beat one for about 30 miles yesterday.. Comparing it to my 98 M900, what a screamer, when my 900 was running outta steam at 7K, the s4rs started pulling HARDER.. wow. The radial Brembo's really are a one finger front and as someone else said, this thing could really use a steering dampner. Great pearl white and red paint color.

Coming off of my ST4, this thing really is a Monster..

·
Registered
141 Posts
Our demo bike went through 2 tanks of gas over the S4Rs open house weekend! Once the brake pads were broken in, the brakes felt just like my 749R, as they should since they're virtually identical. It could definitely use a steering damper and a set of Termi's, but other than that I can't think of a more fun street bike. I broke the 749R in on the street for a couple hundred miles before taking it to the track, and it was less than enjoyable. I think the S4Rs would be a great joy as a daily rider for anything other than touring. The S2R1000 is probably the best bargain in the lineup this year, and it certainly won't disappoint other than in direct comparison to the performance of the S4Rs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts