Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets say a rocker is flaking and marring the cam.....
How long would the bike run like this ?
Is it "critical" to change the rocker ?
What type of damage would/could be done by the next 6000 miles ?
Should a dealer replace this when a "service" is done ?
:think:

Sorry, the pictures are not the best...

Thanks in advance for all the advice

Attachments

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
I can tell by you crappy pics (j/k :p ) that your rockers are fubar. Ducati should still replace them under their "good-faith" warranty, as well as your cams if they are ruined too. If you get nowhere with your dealer, contact Ducati N.A. directly, and don't settle for the B.S. runaround you'll probably get.

P.S. I wouldnt operate the engine with those parts, and hopefully Ducati does'nt play games with you if you pulled them out yourself. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
From the picture, the rocker has definitely flaked and should be replaced. I have seen worse flaking (more rocker material worn away) and the cams still ok. How many miles on the bike? I wouldnt run it with rocker looking like that. If you know its bad, I would replace it immediately. Cams are expensive to replace.

Some Ducati dealers replace the rocker when doing the service. Otherwise Megacycle will replace for $70 with trade on the old rocker.

Mike

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Any idea what damage would happen if this rocker was left in the bike :confused:

The reason I ask...
I took the bike into a Ducati dealer for the 18,000 mile service. The bike was returned to me and I found some small external problems. I went back to them and they assured me the valve job and service was done correctly internally. I did not trust them because they lied to me then admitted f---ing up the bike... SO, I took the bike to another place for another 18,000 mile service and he found the vertical belt so loose it should have come off when I rode it the 5 miles home. He also found one valve out of adjustment and one rocker flaking (bad pictures).

I am just wondering what if anything bad could have come from the first dealer leaving the bad rocker (also the belt way too loose) ?
I am sure this is not good to have a bike like this and ride it for another 6000 miles until the next service.

I guess I should be asking for my money back on the first service :confused:

·
comrade moderator
26,842 Posts
You need to get the rocker (or rockers) replaced before riding the bike one more mile. If you leave them, they will eat your cams next. Now you're in the big money. They may have already.

Sounds like the second shop should get your business, and the first shop should not be working on Ducati's.

What are the two shops in question? Isn't there a good independent in So Cal I've heard people raving about?

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Chuckracer,
I had the second shop fix the bike and it is back on the road now.
Yes, the "good" shop in SoCal took care of me. :)
I asked him (good shop owner) if he wanted me to let everyone know about the good work he did and he told me "not really". He is already slammed with bikes and is about 4 weeks behind because he has so many bike waiting for service.

I am going to head back to the Ducati Dealer and give them a chance to do the "right" thing and refund my money for the first service... it will be interesting to see what they say.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
my996duc1 said:
I guess I should be asking for my money back on the first service :confused:
I would be!....with paperwork from the second place and a record of having called DucatiNA about the whole dealio....and I'd be screamin in the showroom on a Saturday afternoon with a floor full of customers to make em know how serious you are about this type of bad servicing!

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
You ran into the reason that I rarely let anyone work on my bikes unless I absolutely have to. I just completed the valve adjust/belt change on my 2002 748 and just took my time with it. I had a question about a couple of rockers, so I took them into the local dealer and asked them what they thought. Sure, the rocker didn't look too bad, but I felt a lip with my fingernail from the wear and didn't trust the rocker to last another 6k miles, eventhough they told me that they'd reuse them. The end result......I changed out four of the opener rockers with Ducati replacement rockers at $45 each. I've got a bunch of spare (bad) rockers from a spare set of heads that I picked up, and before my 12k service, I'll probably get a full set of openers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts