Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Rocker arms - again...

1928 2
I have asked my mechanic to check the wear on the rocker arms on my 916, and he came up with an idea of checking the wear with the help of "optical fiber". He has a friend who works as a inspector at the vehicle testing here in Finland (don't know the exact or corrent word for this in english) and they have access to high tech optical fiber. So my mechanic thought to try this out.

If this works you could save some work, but that is not perhaps the main point - the point is to see if it actually works.

Have you any comments? Have any of you tried this?

Sam
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
8,320 Posts
To properly check the rockers, you need to pull the cams on the bike.

Inspecting visually is very difficult, if not impossible, since there is so little clearance between the valve and the rocker.

Givven that Ducati uses the desmo system, you can´t push the valve down to inspect the rockerarm, so I´d say.. NO, it isn´t possible to inspect them correctly without pulling the cam.. But what do i know. Besides.. pulling the cam only takes afew minutes and it´s easy to do (with the right tool)

It MIGHT be possible on the new Testastretta heads, where you can get more access, but with the "from the side only" access on the desmoquattro.. nope. don´t think so.

Testastretta on the left and Desmoquattro on the right.

//amullo

·
Senior Moment
1,417 Posts
Sam916 said:
I have asked my mechanic to check the wear on the rocker arms on my 916, and he came up with an idea of checking the wear with the help of "optical fiber". He has a friend who works as a inspector at the vehicle testing here in Finland (don't know the exact or corrent word for this in english) and they have access to high tech optical fiber. So my mechanic thought to try this out.

If this works you could save some work, but that is not perhaps the main point - the point is to see if it actually works.

Have you any comments? Have any of you tried this?

Sam
I know someone who has claimed to do this - but with the ease by which the belts can be removed, it's only an additional 20 minutes to pull the cams and get a real good view of the rocker faces.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.