Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I first must set the scene and admit I've avoided working on my 2009 696 like the plague. I'm going to have to learn, though.

Regarding the question at hand, as far as I can tell, if one needed to jump the battery roadside, one has to remove the tank. And to do THAT, one has to empty the tank. Is this correct? This isn't exactly roadside friendly! Is there a clever way to access the terminals, at least, for jumping without all this break-down?
It's disconcerting not knowing whether I could jump this bike while touring if need be!
Thanks!

·
Registered
54 Posts
not sure if yours is the same, but all the monsters I've seen (08 and older) the tank simply unhooks and folds up to access everything underneath, don't need to disconnect anything nor drain the tank.

I'm sure someone who knows the 696's will chime in here though

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't see any indication of that in the manual (I have a knockoff of the DVD service manual), but I may have missed it, especially since I have no experience working on this machine. Yes - curious what 696 owners will say!
Thank you!

·
Registered
345 Posts
You do not need to empty the tank. I've had mine off 5 or 6 times & never emptied it. And if you just need a jump you can just move the tank out of the way no need to remove it from the bike.

·
Registered
100 Posts
does the fuel line allow enough slack to "just move the tank out of the way" ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reason I ask:
To get to the battery, workshop manuals says:

• Remove tank covers (duh)
  • Remove fuel tank - remove this screw, that screw, this hose, that sensor blah blah until... (quoted)
  • "Warning - Before removing the flange cover (20), make sure the tank (1) is empty and position a rag to collect any spilt fuel. Raise the tank, remove the flange cover (20) by unscrewing the nuts (21) and disconnect the quick-release fittings (29) from the flange."

Not ever having done this, I can't picture what this last step looks like, and whether or not one needs to go this far to get to the battery.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Reason I ask:
To get to the battery, workshop manuals says:

• Remove tank covers (duh)
  • Remove fuel tank - remove this screw, that screw, this hose, that sensor blah blah until... (quoted)
  • "Warning - Before removing the flange cover (20), make sure the tank (1) is empty and position a rag to collect any spilt fuel. Raise the tank, remove the flange cover (20) by unscrewing the nuts (21) and disconnect the quick-release fittings (29) from the flange."

Not ever having done this, I can't picture what this last step looks like, and whether or not one needs to go this far to get to the battery.
I told you in the 4th reply how it works. I've installed new ecu, reflashed ecu a few times, replaced air filter, added battery tender leads to the battery. Never drained the tank. The only gas you can spill is what little is in the fuel lines unless you turn the tank upside down ! It's about a a 15 minute job I suggest you try it for yourself nothing bad will happen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I told you in the 4th reply how it works.
Not questioning your prior post, Link, just trying to reconcile what for me is two pieces of conflicting info, for purposes of discussion. That is why we're here, right? So perhaps the warning in the manual is a general safety warning, rather than a "you're gonna dump fuel" warning. You have an '09 696 as well, then?

I suggest you try it for yourself
Yes, I absolutely should. Except today is "pack the bike for a longish tour" day (Yay!), not "let's see how this whole thing comes apart, anyway" day. Another time!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Its a pain to get to the battery if your stuck on the road wanting a jump. Push start it. But if your bike is having hard starts in the morning, either you need a new battery or you need to leave it on a battery tender. If you take care of these situations, your bike should start every time once warmed up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No problems at the moment, just always wondered how to bail myself out if I did something dumb and drained battery while I was on road. Just seems like a good idea to know how to do it, generally speaking...
Thank you!

·
Registered
2,302 Posts
Well, first thing ya do is take her pants off, .... and then, ...;)

·
Registered
58 Posts
i have a tender wire with clamps that i can plug into another vehicle just in case
install the wire to the battery, route it somewhere easy to get to and never have to worry about it again, just remember the polarity of the output wire

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello from another 696 owner in Tucson.

1. I would not recommend attempting a jump through the battery tender wires. You could cause a fire right underneath your fuel tank. Not a good thing.

2. Accessing the batteries on these bikes is pretty lame. It takes 15 minutes if you've done it before. You're also left with a ton of small fasteners that are just asking to fall in the dirt or plain disappear if you try this at night on the side of the road.

3. Make sure your battery is in good condition before going out touring.

Working on these bikes isn't very hard. I'd suggest just diving into it and seeing how it's put together :cool: I can likely help with this if you run into any serious trouble.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Hello from another 696 owner in Tucson.

1. I would not recommend attempting a jump through the battery tender wires. You could cause a fire right underneath your fuel tank. Not a good thing.
what ive done on my past bikes is run a big heavy gauge(8-10ga) wire from the solenoid to somewhere accessible, but i always put a fuse on it and double insulate it

then use the body to ground, and the sparking or fire under the front of the tank becomes negligible, especially if you use the proper jump procedures

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Good info, folks. So far so good (Tucson to San Francisco). Headed north from here in a few days until... I have to turn around!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts