Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so, i just got done riding road america on my bone stock (well, drivetrain anyway) 06 749.....

last session of the day the CR comes up to me and asks why I was backing off on the straights. i wasn't, but then i think to myself, you know, I've only hit about 140 down that front straight (its a pretty long one)

anyone ride road America on a 749? what's your top end? I've had it pinned down the front and back, and i think the highest i ever saw was 145....once it got up there, it just seemed to get "stuck" at about 9k rpm and wouldn't move.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
not really, 160lb. the beginning of the straight is a good uphil climb, but still 600 japs were still seeing 160 down the front...

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
once it got up there, it just seemed to get "stuck" at about 9k rpm and wouldn't move.
and this is in 5th i'm talking about. i played around with short-shifting 5th to get into 6th, but the end result was pretty similar, 140mph..

·
Registered
120 Posts
Hmmm...my brother-in-law rides that track fairly regularly and hit 150 down the front straight...on a 748 bi. Could your gearing be off, as in geared too high? I would not think so, but you never know. Post your gearing and some one with more knowledge can tell you if its stock or not.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
...my bone stock (well, drivetrain anyway) 06 749.....
it's bone stock. is his bike yellow? there was a yellow 748 there, but it was on the truck from about lunch-on....donno what happened.

he did have the same helmet as me. so I probably scared him into packing up early

·
Registered
331 Posts
I think a trip to the dyno is in order. Your 749 should do better than that with 100 hp. If I remember right your bike is running a stock tune? Falling short of an actual dyno run, you may want to give a call to TJ at Corse and ask his opinion. If you do call him, make sure some of the first things you tell him are that you are getting into doing track days. He tends to help out more with track oriented problems as he enjoys working with track people more than your basic street person.

Does the power feel flat up top in lower gears...like when you are coming out of the bend? I don't remember how many miles you had on your bike, but has al the maintenance been done, ie. valve adjust and fuel filters?

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i was thinking a dyno pull was in order. lower gears feel ok, 2nd and 3rd pull pretty decent, but maybe not as good as they could. i'm not pulling any power wheelies or spinning the rear coming out of 3 in 2nd, nor in T1 in 2nd....and i'm pretty much wfo after the apex. it was just strange, i never "had" to touch 6th at that track....on a middle....

45xx miles, so my 6k service hasn't come up yet. i just changed oil/filter to 15w-50...well, you know that :)

I was thinking of calling TJ, if nothing else to try to get a buddy price on a dyno run at corse ;)

·
Registered
277 Posts
bone stock 05 749
200 pound rider
152 mph top speed
straight line
fall weather a bit chilly

Migrane

·
Registered
120 Posts
it's bone stock. is his bike yellow? there was a yellow 748 there, but it was on the truck from about lunch-on....donno what happened.

he did have the same helmet as me. so I probably scared him into packing up early
He did have some clutch problems that he called me about, but I don't know what time that was. His helmet is an AGV Rossi replica (not sure of the specifics). The bike has big Trackdaymag.com stickers on the sides. Good luck with the dyno run

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
Yes, you need to get that checked out. I'm 6' 210. Mine is stock except for some gearing changes. I pull 145+ on the front straight. You should be doing better.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
He did have some clutch problems that he called me about, but I don't know what time that was. His helmet is an AGV Rossi replica (not sure of the specifics). The bike has big Trackdaymag.com stickers on the sides. Good luck with the dyno run
that was him then. he has the same helmet as me, the rossi 5-continents.

and cebrien, what gearing are you running?

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
14/42 520 set, basicly a +3 out back.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I've ridden that track many times and honestly, that doesn't really suprise me. I'm a big guy (6'4" 270lbs) and my GSXR600 had an honest 113 rwhp with -1+2 gearing and I couldn't get into 6th on the front or back straightaways and never above 155 on my uncorrected speedo. I was just there 2 weeks ago on my 2005 GSXR750 and was only seeing 167 on the straightaways and I was pulling hard on guys on 600's.
Remember, the hill up the front straightaway robs tons of momentum and top speed. I was 5-7 mph faster on the shorter back straightaway and only down 7-10 mph going into Canada corner.
You should really consider a pretty big gearing change for trackdays. If you cannot use 6th on one of the longest tracks in the country, you could use more drive out of the corners in all the other tracks you go to. -1+3or4 really isn't that unreasonable for track gearing.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If you cannot use 6th on one of the longest tracks in the country, you could use more drive out of the corners in all the other tracks you go to. -1+3or4 really isn't that unreasonable for track gearing.
great info, thanks black. that was the most concerning part, that I didn't need to touch 6th at road america of all places. thought it was strange, but i guess stock gearing is fairly tame.

yes, i noticed i was about 5mph faster down the back. never really looked at my speedo going thru kettle bottoms (had some headshake to deal with, people were blaming my tall dunlops :think:) but 10mph down seems about right.

still an awesome track, my favorite so far (ha, i've only been to BHF and RA). i'll be back, that's for sure.

14/42 520 set, basicly a +3 out back.
thanks cebrian for your help/info

·
Registered
331 Posts
If it makes you feel any better, the weekend that I won my two races there I didn't hit 6th either. That was with stock gearing on my 996 though...so a bit more torque than you are rolling with! Couldn't tell you the speed as I never even look at that gauge out there. It is useless information that will only slow you down in the long run. As far as T1, I have never had a bike spin up there. Though I am typically running through at 90-100mph (according to my old ZX-6R's speedo at least).

Let me know when you are thinking of heading up to Corse. I am really considering dropping off my street bike to get the valves and belts done. I am also toying with the idea of getting my cams timed on the race bike as well.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
that does make me feel better. I don't really care about my top end (altho it is annoying to get passed in the straights by other middleweights) i was just worried that something might be wrong.

I do have to get to corse soon (within 2k miles) for belts and valves, maybe I'll have them throw it on the dyno while its there. but I haven't been on the street lately, so 2k miles might be near the end of season....

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive had the same experience on my 749 with not hitting sixth on the longer straights, i dont even worry about taking it to the rev limiter anymore, it seems to run out of steam around 10k anyway so i just shortshift. I now can basically run out sixth gear now at most of the tracks doing this, seems to work for me so far;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts