Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, this is my first post but I've been reading threads on this forum for a while now.

I took a friend to the dealership to see a M1000 and while walking around I saw a GT1000, i saw the classic series in '06 but didn't pay attention at all...
I must admit this time i fell in love. I spent the last couple days reading all the threads related to this Ducati and the Sportclassic 1000 Biposto.

My 1st question is... because my dealership doesn't have a Biposto and even if they did, they wouldn't have it modded with the Rizoma raisers anyway, is the riding position of a Biposto the same as a GT1000 after the mod or at least similar? I know the tank is longer and doesn't help...

I'm 5'11 and 200lb.

2) To the guys here that didn't get their original top machined, where did you buy the top that allows raisers like the one on the GT1000?

3) what OTD price should I expect for a SportClassic Biposto? (i'm in the DC metro area - I went to Battley)

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
758 Posts
I'm not sure if I can help, but I gather you are considering switching the bars on the Biposto from clip-ons to regular bars?

I don't know how you add risers to it for the regular bars, without some machining, or by replacing the triple crown. You would also likely find that with regular bars, all the wires and hoses for the controls are then too short. The bar end mirrors I suppose can be attached to standard bars, but may look odd sitting so high. You might want to compare the mounting brackets for the instrument cluster too, to make sure the risers and cross bar don't obstruct thier view.

Anyway, to answer your question, I suppose you CAN make a Biposto as comfortable as a GT by getting rid of the clip-ons, using risers (you can always go with even taller ones too), and by picking bars that have more upturn.

I have an '06 Monoposto and it IS a torture rack to ride. The '06 clip ons were even lower than the later models which had a slight riser for the clip-ons. But regardless of what you do, with clip-ons, it is not going to be as comfortable as the GT.

But you know, the Biposto was always meant to be a cafe racer. I personally can't imagine replacing the clip-ons like that.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
44 Posts
Alternative

Probably no longer a curiosity for you, but the Sport1000S nose fairing will not accommodate a comfortable handlebar, and the pegs are higher than the GT. Offset pegs can be had for reasonable money, but the GT is by far the easiest solution for comfort.

As an alternative, the Sport 1000 (non-faired) did come with ST3 p/n (high) clip-ons. It has a distinct comfort advantage over the 1000S, but that bike is only in the used market now. It's comfort is somewhere between the GT and 1000S, but allows more corning clearance with higher pegs and better rear shocks than the GT. You could put bars on it without hose/cable concerns.

Hey thanks for the input, I know the look of the Sport is fantastic with the original clipons but the truth is that it would be a torture for me to ride in that position...

I saw Lee C. and RedRooster did an awesome job on their bikes:

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=43068&d=1233677510

Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum - View Single Post - Rizoma Bars on Sport 1000 (The Ride Report)

Rizoma Bars on Sport 1000 (The Ride Report) - Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
Hi Peppe,

I just went through a similar process.

Been riding mostly streetbikes in recent years, and currently have a KTM Superduke R, with bars and relatively upright riding position - much like a Triumph Speed Triple or Ducati Monster.

However I wanted a second bike that was more low-key and retro in looks - but not performance - so I fell in love with the Sport Classic, and although I preferred the looks of the Biposto I thought I'd want a GT, or convert to a GT's top yoke and bars, and was planning accordingly.

When I took delivery of my 2009 Bip I found the clip on's very weird and uncomfortable, and spent days on the forum investigating how to fix it cost effectively.

Eventually I discovered that my 09 bike had much higher clip-ons than the 2006 bike had when it came out. No doubt Ducati realised that customers didn't like their initial setup, and responded to many unfavourable reviews in bike mags. (For details of the difference, see Air Cooled Nut's recent posts for the exact measured difference and pics)

I decided to try to keep the clip-on look and to check out taller riser-clip-ons from somewhere like SpeedyMoto, and eventuially settled for a pair of slightly upswept bars for the standard clamps, but by the time they arrived and I had them fitted my body had completely adapted to the clip-ons as they were, (I used to get inner thigh ache, and numb fingers) - plus I discovered the brilliance of the bike's confident cornering with the clip-ons, and didn't want to mess with that.

I now have the upswept speedymoto bars fitted, but don't really need them, and even though I commute daily through London (average speeds at 15mph) I'm coping fine with the position most days, and it's def no worse than most Japanese sports bikes. In fact, I think it's the reach across the tank, more than the bar height, that takes time to adapt to. (...not as bad as the Tuono though)

So - keep looking for top yoke conversions, etc, but meanwhile, try to get a later model Biposto with the higher clip-ons, and when you get the bike, take a week or two of riding before you change anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts