Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, as much as i love my sport1000, i would love to make it a bit more comfortable and was thinking of getting some handlebar risers. My question is will this affect the handling?

·
Registered
98 Posts
No sir! It may actually give the feel of it being slightly lighter due to repositioning of your weight and the change in angle shoulders to grips.
-Capt

·
Registered
131 Posts
bampot said:
My question is will this affect the handling?
It will certainly affect the handling.

It may have an effect that you like, dislike, or do not even notice.

More weight on the bars equals more weight on the front tire, slightly steeper rake, less rear contact, less weight transfer while braking, etc etc. The amount in which you raise or lower the bars should be planned around the obvious. EVERYTHING is a compromise.

I can't think of a logical reason why one would want clip ons if it didn't affect the handling!

·
Registered
222 Posts
True,but being miserably uncomfortable will affect your handling far more adversely than redisributing your weight a little bit. My stock Sport bars were at the exact wrong angle for me,causing my right hand to go completely numb on prolonged downhills or at a fast street pace. Since I couldn't grow a couple inches,or unpack all those thousands of tandem rigs that blew up my hands, I HAD to raise the bars. I put less than 500 miles on my bike in like 4 months,until the bar swap. Heck,all bikes handle exactly the same when they're parked.

·
Registered
222 Posts
By the way, i used Cycle Cats' DBR2 kit,which I believe will have close to the same specs as the upcoming Sport specific kit. I did have to mock up,then drill the stops on the switches etc. Also,the bar i.d. is too small for the stock mirrors,but as I am running CRGs' this is a non issue for me. My biggest clearance issue was the clutch safety switch,which I had to separate from the harness a bit. The custom fitment was cool for me,as i didn't want to wait. The kit should be out anytime now,so others might just want to be patient.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Why did you go with the DBR2s? I had thought that the DBR4s would work best, since the Sport 1000 and the MH900e use the same forks and have a similar setup.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The DBR4 risers are spec'd f (for forward) 50mm by 15 (mm?). The DBR2 is f 50 by 25. So I believe it's a smidge higher. Which is good, as any lower wouldn't be enough. I think you could go 35 no prob. but no higher. And the ST3 (45)risers looked WAY too high to me. I'll post pictures as soon as I get the girlfriend to clean up her vacation pics.

·
Registered
173 Posts
drewogatory: thanks for the info. I agree that the ST3 risers and DBR7s look much too high. I understand that some riders need this, but I'm fairly comfortable with the stock kit--one of the two benefits of having long arms. Anyway, I was thinking that, if I changed them (a BIG if), I would go with the DBR4s and rely more on the concentric bar-angle adjusters than height difference.

I will wait to check out your install after you post the picks.

Thanks for being the Guinea Pig.

Greg

·
Premium Member
2,455 Posts
MrBeans said:
--one of the two benefits of having long arms.
Okay, I'll bite.....

What's the second? Taking some weight off your feet on long hikes?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Ok, bit of misinformation to clear up. Being as the CRG mirrors were on backorder,I decided to acuallly check that the stock mirrors didn't fit inside the cycle cat bars. Well, long and short of it. They do. The flange nut doesn't however,so you hafta swap it. scuffing the insert helps as well,the bars are very smooth inside. wish I'd figured that out last week. Felt weird riding with no mirrors at all.

·
Registered
323 Posts
MrBeans said:
...the ST3 risers and DBR7s look much too high
I cannot agree more with Bean here. I think the only thing that could make the risers look ok would be tassels and a big orange flag on the back. It's a cafe' racer, not a sport tourer.

Sorry, I finally had to get that off my chest.

·
Registered
222 Posts
i agree the ST3 setup looks way too high. The 916 cycle cat is half that. another bonus;you can dial in more steering lock with the longer bars. Still,looks ARE compromised. a caveat, with my physical issues I probably would not have purchased the Sport if I had test driven it first. But I liked the look more than the other Monsters. In retrospect,an S2 would have been a better choice for me. But,that said, I like alot of things about the bike,but I ain't suffering for fashion.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I think that you made a great choice in bikes and a wise compromise on the risers. And, as I said before, I'd buy anything from Cycle Cat. Alfred and the gang are great people who make beautiful stuff.

·
Registered
173 Posts
YellowDuck said:
Okay, I'll bite.....

What's the second? Taking some weight off your feet on long hikes?
Pick up basketball: I'm 6'2", but I play 6'4". Either way, though, I'm not very good at it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
First serious rides today w/ the risers;Huge difference. Better leverage lets you flick from side to side effortlessly. I can actually actuate the turnsignals under braking(small detail,i know,but so annoying. I mean do the rest of you guys have Tom Robbins thumbs or what?). My jacket doesn't bunch at the neck anymore(see above,so so so so annoying). My nuts and my tank are taking a break from each others' company as well. The difference is only about an inch,but i finally understand what a difference an inch can make...Now if I can just figure out how to post the darn pics. Black risers on the Ohlins gold actually looks kinda good, i think.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
Hmm...tassels or a flag? I take offense to that.

Maybe everyone is different and at 5'10" I cannot reach the stock bars and be comfortable. Period.

I started riding in 1973, yes, big deal but I've been uncomfortable before and have decided it is foolish.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I agree. I'm 40 So it's not like I'm the old timer who swears it was always better when. But I've been riding since I was 5 and I worked in the industry for a decade,and I've probably ridden damn near every production bike made between 1975 and 1995. Granted, I've missed out on alot in the last 10 years,but in stock configuration the Sport (I refuse to even contemplate the PS) was one of the most miserably uncomfortable bikes I've ever ridden,much less owned. i think Ducati could have delivered that bike in a much more user friendly configuration w/o compromising the look. Bad ergos are for concepts. Good engineering is making those concepts function in the real world while maintaining the integrity of the concept.

·
Premium Member
98 Posts
I'm 49 , yes almost 50.

I rode the Triumph Thruxton [in stock form] last year at a Demo Day and found it to be very comfortable. I'm not sure why as I can't compare the two bikes . It might be the distance from the seat to the bars.

Bottom line it has the true "Cafe Racer" look with a decidely different rider position. It is also slow and has carbs. Comfortable though.

My 2 cents.

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
drewogatory said:
(I refuse to even contemplate the PS)
I'm 59! Almost 60!! I have a PS!!! :crazy:

I took the spacers out and raised the handlebars (1/2 inch!) but it is still uncomfortable.

You are right. Ducati could have made all the SC's slightly more comfortable. But I love them anyway.

Let's just say that the PS is not my long distance bike. :eek:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Have the Cycle Cat's on the PS and the change was wonderful. Higher bars w/cam, 1/8 space under the triple clamp and a inch longer on both sides. Have to admit first ride was very strange (was used to the old angles) but after a few miles very glad I did it. The Cycle Cat's are first rate and do not take away from the look of the PS whatsoever.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts