Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Anyone ever see a right side shift conversion or know if it can be done?

I lost use of my left foot in the up-shift mode only.

Not the end of the world on track as a heal shifter works because of
predictable shift points, but in the unpredictable environment of street
riding it adds to much lag and just not crisp enough for me.

My first street bike was a right side shift Triumph Trident T-150 Triple
and I have some great memories so I'm actually looking forward to
the transition.

Gepeto

·
comrade moderator
27,415 Posts
This one deserves to be moved straight to the top of the forum.

We have a member who recently lost his left leg and will (not now, but eventually) be converting his two bikes to...something. Don't know what but hopefully he'll see this thread and chime in.

Otherwise, send Gilly a PM and I'll bet you too can share lots of info.

·
Blame the universe not the tank!
3,234 Posts
Thanks for the Heads Up Chuck!

Yeah, I've been looking for good information on this conversion, as some may know I lost my left leg above the knee and I really like the idea of still maintaining shift control with my foot.

From what I've gleaned so far, it takes some custom designing to transfer the shifting from one side to the other. I would REALLY like to see someones attempt/pics/feedback on how they accomplished this.

I still can't work on things since my left arm/hand are still effed up, so research/design is the only thing I can do.

A few links for parts:
https://www.midwestcontrol.com/
Titanium, Stainless Steel, Aluminium Fasteners & Motorcycle Bolts | ProBolt
Rekluse z-START PRO Clutch
Pingel All Electric Up/Down Shifters

If anyone has even a napkin design, I'm interested... as long as it's sanitary.:) Or even more parts links, would be cool.

If I had a left foot, I would try to configure some sort of left side controls... Not sure if there is room enough or even the comfort factor, but it's worth a shot. I hope if you find any info, you can tag onto this thread and I will do the same if I find any solutions.

Gilly

·
Registered
540 Posts
Someone on this forum (I think) has recently purchased an SS with a right side shifter, he was asking how to remove it I think. Perhaps a search is in order? :D

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Anyone ever see a right side shift conversion or know if it can be done?
For which model bike? I haven't done it but I just had a look at my 999R and if I was to do it, I'd look at drilling out the swingarm pivot slightly and running a shaft through it, or using cables in a push-pull (like throttle cables or exhaust flapper). If using cables, you could maybe mount hardware onto the clutch slave mount.

As you've got no lift in your left foot would you move the rear brake to the left side or go with left hand control a la **** Doohan? There's an Australian invention called the Clake which may help with that too.

·
Registered
152 Posts
What model is it, i have converted a couple of mid 90's 900ss, quite easy to do by running a rod through the hollow swingarm spindle then mounting a gear lever on the right hand side with a linkage to the rod and the same on the left side. I made some bushes to fit in the spindle so the rod turns smoothly. Then i just mounted the brake lever and master cylinder on the left and used a different brake line. Here's a rough drawing, hope this helps.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right Side Shift

Okay, just got around to checking back in and now know that others are following the thread for answers too.

40k competitive miles and reitired in 96'. Really want to again operate a motorcycle with what effective appendages I have.

**** used the thumb brake (left handlebar) effectively, but conceded that it just wasn't the same when it came to front/rear wieght transitions. Randy Renfrow used a cable operated thumb shifter for a while (he was waiting for his left foot to heal/doctors removed his left big toe to replace his thumb and his hand healed faster than his foot/gotta say the hand looked pretty good), but he eventually went back to the normal way and the conversion was on a Yamaha TZ250.

I'm currently in the market for a street only Duc, was originally going to the Agusta, but advised that a conversion was not possible. So I would consider any model, any year that would have a workable right side shift/left side brake.

Has to do pilion and comfortable enough to do real miles on. So a Hailwood replica type is out. Really liked the older desmodromic engines. That cocaphony going on under the tank at an idle is a machinists' symphony.

Now that I'm tapped into the Ducati Brain-Trust, if it can't be done, I will get my answer here.

Cyclops; the drawings demonstrate a very workable idea. Now I'm hunting swingarms! Only initial comment would be setting the brake lever on the left without clearance issues as the frame attachment points for the pegs have to be on the same plane.

Postscript: RODERICB; love that profile pic :~) You have a bigger version of it?

·
Registered
5,167 Posts
There is a member on UKMOC who has done such a conversion on a Monster - has both brake and shifter on the right side.

Back in the 70's I believe Ducati made the same kind of kit (but opposite) to convert right-side shift to left-side shift before they switched to left-side permanently (early Ducatis had right-side shift).

Can't find the info at the moment but you may find something here; NABD

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
I converted my 91SS,F1,and 91 851 to RH shift in the same manner shown by Cyclops. I made the cross shaft and bellcranks out of some rod and flat steel. The cross shaft rides in bearings mounted in cups that fit into the ID of the swingarm pivot tube.[used a lathe to turn them] and fabbed the linkage with heim joints and aluminum dowel.The mounting of the rear mastercyl. would depend on which bike you get,it may require some welding or making different foot peg hangers.Of all of them the 91SS was easiest.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts