Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know the length of the r/s fairing spacer (68410031A)? This is the bolt type thingy that screws in to the c/case and has a rubber stopper on the end.

I replaced mine and since then the fairing seems to be under too much tension (the wellnut now keeps on popping out of the holder); I suspect the supplier may have sent me the l/h side spacer. AFAIK the right side should be shorter than the l/h/s.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
They are the same I think, mine are anyway, but you need a new wellnut if it keeps popping out. BTW, that is the last one I tighten when I put the side fairing on, but the first one put on to assist in matching up the other bolts with their holes.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Right side is shorter for sure, different part number too. But how much shorter is the mystery to me.
The wellnut is new. This only has happened since the new spacer was attached.
I too tighten it last.

Cheers.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I will get out to my garage and look in the morning, but if you are putting a longer one in place it seems like it would be pressing the wellnut in tighter rather than pulling it out?

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think you may be misunderstanding me. The spacer is is the bolt type thingy that screws in to the lower c/case and has a rubber stopper on the end. Not the tube that the wellnut sits in, they are the same length both left & right.

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
Oh! The knob! Yeah, they are different and I left mine off last time I put the bodywork on. Noticed the sides flap now while riding, which is probably what that knob is supposed to stop. I will dig mine out today, you say the shorter one goes on the right side and if you put the longer one there it will leverage the other spacer well nut out. Makes sense.

·
Registered
1,499 Posts
The ones from the later 900SSie are the same lengths as the early ones and are still available from Ducati Omaha.

The only difference is the new ones are tapered in the middle rather than the same diameter the whole length.

You could just order the one you need. Also, the stand off peg screws into the horizontal cylinder rather than the crankcase.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh! The knob! Yeah, they are different and I left mine off last time I put the bodywork on. Noticed the sides flap now while riding, which is probably what that knob is supposed to stop. I will dig mine out today, you say the shorter one goes on the right side and if you put the longer one there it will leverage the other spacer well nut out. Makes sense.
Yep, shorter on the right and leaving it off will cause the fairing to flap, that's how I realised mine had unscrewed itself and fallen off.

You could just order the one you need. ..
I did that originally and the dills sent me the wrong one. If I know the length I'll just cut it. Cheers.

·
Señor Member
8,251 Posts
When I crashed my bike a few years back the RH fairing stay broke off at the threaded end. I made one by welding a threaded rod in a tube, then covered the end with a crutch rubber cap. Rather than use a wellnut in the middle fairing mount, I tapped a steel rod on both ends.

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
As the bishop said to the actress "length matters"

Reactions: grrss

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Would anyone be able to measure the lower right side fairing spacer/stay (named as a spacer in the parts list) for me please. Not the thread, just what emerges from the motor.
I can cut a bit off at a time but may go too far so would rather have a precise measurement.

Cheers.

·
Registered
886 Posts
This is probably unsatisfying, but I couldn't measure without removing the fairings from the bike. In my case the space between the fairing and the end of the bumper is about 1.5 to 3 mm. Looks like you already got a measurement from Ducvet.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
PS: the right side spacer is 11mm longer than left.
If I could remember who sold me the spacer I'd be asking for a refund or an exchange, as it was advertised as the r/h/s part.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
PS: the right side spacer is 11mm longer than left.
If I could remember who sold me the spacer I'd be asking for a refund or an exchange, as it was advertised as the r/h/s part.
Allow me to offer a humble correction; r/h/s side is 11 - 12mm shorter than the left!

·
Premium Member
2016 Hyperstrada 939, 93 900ss, 2017 CRF250L RALLY, 2003 F650GS DAKAR, 1993 KLR250, 1986 HONDA TLR20
174 Posts
Want to trade Omaha sent me the short one and I need the long one.
the long one is 137mm no rubber not including the threaded portion. I found the short one its not new but nothing wrong with it except a small mark. Let me know if you want to trade my long one is buggered.

JD

·
Registered
2,943 Posts
I did check, all three that I found are the shorter ones ! I've lost the longer ones somewhere!

·
Registered
742 Posts
grrss,

search "McMaster Carr", look up "threaded linear motion shafts", some choices, price?

Fred

·
Registered
1,339 Posts
68410041A
Ducati Fairing distance holder left hand length 150mm
Ducati Abstandshalter links Länge 150mm 7,93 € It is still available from Stein-Dinse

1 - 20 of 25 Posts