Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone experienced failure of the right hand switch that has the starter button (also has the kill switch and hazard lights)? I had to replace my original switch 3 or so years ago due to the starter button no longer working. I nearly got stranded a few times before I could get a replacement switch. Bought another unit on eBay that was listed as being new and never installed ...used that one from around that time until now and this one is now failing. I just ordered a new one from AMS Ducati in Dallas. Not a hugely expensive part at about $103 but wondered if anyone else has had issues with their switch. I nearly got stranded again recently ...after several attempts to get the starter button to activate the starter, it finally connected. It's an intermittent problem ...I rode to work yesterday and zero issues. I don't trust it, though ...that's a stomach sinking feeling when you're 25+ miles from home and you go to start your bike and it won't even turn over.

·
Mr Leakered
8,925 Posts
Mine went out once early in my ownership. I took it apart and cleaned the contacts and moving parts with contact cleaner. I can't remember if I gooped it up with dielectric grease or not. I believe not?

It has been flawless since.

I do have the early gen where the switch sees full current. I think, but could be wrong, that the later gen had a low current switch. If so, the guts would be different. I'd still try to kludge it.

Have a good one.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Tony ...I did try the electronic contact cleaner when the first switch began to fail (took it apart and cleaned the inside) and I got a little bit more life out of it but not much. Didn't try dielectric grease, though. I never ride in the rain and I live in the San Diego area so it's just naturally arid here so I'm not sure if the di-elec grease will do much. Maybe it's related to the fact that the switch is a low voltage switch (as you mentioned)? I run a Shorai lithium iron battery and maybe the 2 just don't jive that well? With the Shorai, I have to turn the ignition on but wait several seconds before I hit start for the bike to start up well enough. I'll have the new switch next week so hoping to get at least 3 more years with no issues ;)

Reactions: tonered

·
Mr Leakered
8,925 Posts
Wild. We are moderate humidity up here year round and are famous for having algea grow on stuff that sits outside. We frigging have to pressure wash concrete.

If I remember correctly, the new gen switch just triggers through the ECU, so battery choice should never affect it.

Do you have any small insect problems there?

Otherwise, it could just be bad luck?

Have a good one.

·
Premium Member
236 Posts
Still on the original one

SoCal, my ‘05 is on its original switch I believe. I’ve only had it the last 3 years but no issues so far.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts